Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned with the cheapness of the table between the front seats and I would love a decent console instead. I have heard Honda excuses like the table is easily removed to make the Odyssey better for cargo. I have seen online makeshift consoles. Am my concerns warranted?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Am my concerns warranted?

Not in my opinion. The table is meant to be a convienence, which I have found it to be. There have been a few instances where my wife has had to go to the back while traveling and it was sure easier to simply fold down the table.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, leather steering wheel cover

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moose:
I'm concerned with the cheapness of the table between the front seats and I would love a decent console instead. I have heard Honda excuses like the table is easily removed to make the Odyssey better for cargo. I have seen online makeshift consoles. Am my concerns warranted? </font>
Well, what other features would you want on a console? I'm not sure what "cheap" means. I find the Honda table to be just fine. Sometimes I want to use it and I fold it up. Usually I don't want it in the way and I just fold it down. I don't think I would want a large permanent console there.

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Well, what other features would you want on a console? I'm not sure what "cheap" means. I find the Honda table to be just fine. Sometimes I want to use it and I fold it up. Usually I don't want it in the way and I just fold it down. I don't think I would want a large permanent console there.

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 01-22-2002).]
</font>
I agree, Steve. I had installed a Clutter Catcher console in my Ody and finally just realized that the tray was more convenient.

I guess I didn't need the extra space as much as I thought I did.

In fact, if anyone is interested in buying a like-new, beige console, email me. Maybe we can work something out.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
If I ever get another van, it will have a center console or I won't buy it. The storage in the Ody is so limited that you need a good center console with drink holders and a constant power supply. I hate to stuff the seat pockets full of junk all the time. If you use the door pockets, stuff rattles and slides around constantly. Give me a nice centerconsole that I can remove if I want to.
My wife smokes, so I have an ash tray where the dash mounted drink tray usually goes. I am forced to use the fold-up tray daily to hold my coffee mug and other drinks. With the stiff suspension on the Ody and the springy tray, I have to hold the drink in the tray to keep it in place.
I have been dealer hopping looking for the perfect center console for my Ody. I don't care who makes it (Ford, Toyota, GM, Chrysler, etc). If it costs a couple hundred bucks, I'm ordering one, painting it to match the Fern interior and installing it.
Don't get me wrong, I truly love my Ody, I just think it's a bit short on creature comforts such as storage, interior and exterior lighting, and noise isolation. I will likely spend years tinkering with the van to solve these problems. I hope Honda listens to it's customers and solves some of these basic issues. There is no excuse for not addressing the wind/road noise issues by now.

Fred

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try going to Heartlandamerica.com. They have a "plug & go" console for $39.99. It fits very nicely between the seats. It's nice because it is powered. It gives you 2 power outlets to the back seat and then has 1 inside. Plenty of storage space. If you remove the flip up tray it fits and looks like it belongs there. I'm sure there are better made consoles out there but you can't beat this for the price. It matches the interior very well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:

I have been dealer hopping looking for the perfect center console for my Ody. I don't care who makes it (Ford, Toyota, GM, Chrysler, etc). If it costs a couple hundred bucks, I'm ordering one, painting it to match the Fern interior and installing it.
Fred
</font>
These two threads may help you then.
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000044.html
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000510.html

Heartland America still sells one around $40. See http://www.8002292901.com/Item/default.asp?SKU=5873

·
Registered
57 Posts
FW_in_OKC, Sounds like your needs for a console are much like mine. I solved the problem by making one out of wood and staining it. I originally had it in a full sized GMC, and the with slight modification it is now in my Mercury Villager. I expect
to use it in the ODY when it arrives. My wife is also a smoker so I've fixed up a stainless steel drink glass for her as an ashtray and it rides very nicely in a cup holder, also it holds enough that it doesn't fill up after a couple smokes like the one that came with the van. We want to have so many things handy when we travel, i. e. drinks, goodies, change, toothpicks, maps, you name it we have it, that I'd find it hard to be without it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about posting a picture of your homemade so as to share in any interesting ideas you came up with.

I am in the process of building one myself and struggling with what stain to use to match the factory plasto wood. Desigining cleanable cup holders is not the easiest thing but I did find an RV site that sells dropin sealed cup holders similar to the factory tray model for $6.50 each at www.v-sales.com (Click on wood parts).

Secondly, I was going to look at Chuck's picture site to see how he attached it to the floor but alas he's in picture transition.
Any news there Chuck?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zalusky:
...I was going to look at Chuck's picture site to see how he attached it to the floor...</font>
I am an upholsterer, I never attached an item like this to the floor of a car (I have done it on boats), but if I did, I would probably use wide velcro. One end would be stapled to the bottom and the other end, I would probably sew it by hand with nylon thread to the floor carpet. That way it can be totally reversed without damage to the van. Another way to attach the velcro to the floor might be hot glue, but that would not be as reversible, also over time, I know it would let loose eventually because car interiors can get very hot in the summer.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zalusky:
How about posting a picture of your homemade so as to share in any interesting ideas you came up with.

I am in the process of building one myself and struggling with what stain to use to match the factory plasto wood. Desigining cleanable cup holders is not the easiest thing but I did find an RV site that sells dropin sealed cup holders similar to the factory tray model for $6.50 each at www.v-sales.com (Click on wood parts).

Secondly, I was going to look at Chuck's picture site to see how he attached it to the floor but alas he's in picture transition.
Any news there Chuck?

</font>
My console was a little on the low side, so I made a riser for it. I had aluminum bar stock attached to the bottom of the riser that would fit under the inboard "legs" of the two front seats. It required loosening the seats to install it, but was totally reversable with no damage to the van and was also very solid when installed.

------------------
Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts