Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are so pleased with our little find, I have to try and share. As many of you know, the Ody seats are extremely flat bottomed and flat backed. For those of us who blanch at the thought of tearing up the upholstery to install a lumbar support, I've found a great & cheap alternative in an aftermarket seat cushion. We got two about a month ago, and love them so mmuch we recently ordered two more for the middle seats/and for back-ups in case we screw up the front ones. Now my wife wants me to ge a couple for the Accord.

They are called "Lumbar - Comfort Suport Cushion", by Falcon. They are only about $20 each. We were looking for some decent seat covers, but were running into problems with the arm rest. I had ran the idea by our local seamtress to have her cut & customize some to get around the arm rest, but then found these lumbar cushions that killed to birds with one stone.

I looked for them in places like Auto-Zone, K-Mart, etc., plus did a search on the internet and couldn't find them. All that we found, even ones claiming lumbar support, didn't seem worth a darn compared to these. You know those junk mailings that have a bunch of inserts that everyone tosses except my wife? ...LOL, well she found a winner this time with these. When she first showed me the picture, I thought that was way too much lumbar support, but they were cheap enough to try... and I'm glad I did, they're great.

Like I said, I couldn't find them anywhere else, so if you want to chance my word on them, this is from the mailing we ordered from...

Starcrest of California
19465 Brennan Ave.
Perris, CA 92599

24 hour order phone: (909) 657-2793

Lumbar Support Seat Cushion: Stock No. 24-41291-8

Color choices: black on tan, blue, or gray.
(They all have thin black horizontal stripes on either tan, blue, or gray background)

Price: $19.00 each.

Handling per order: $3.00

They'll ask for the three codes on the bottom right corner of order form, which are: GDF, MDK, EPT

For Free Shipping (not _handling_) be sure to use code: MDL

To get a little surprise bonus, use the "Something for Nothing" code: MDN
(With the 1st two, we got a cute outdoor thermometer.. the second two we ordered, we got a worthless gimick thing... so who knows, it's a "free" surprise, so you might as well get it)

Okay, the first two we got we played it safe and went with grey... which works well with the Quartz interior. The next two, we tried blue hoping it would be close to our crystal blue dashhugger.. which it did. Now my wife wants to put the grey ones in our beige Accord... I think I get the tan ones instead for that later... but I'll have to try them there first as the Accord does have side bolsters already, ..unlike the flat Ody.

For what it's worth, I lost 3/4 of an inch in height (now I'm 6'1" with long arms (grin)) when a bridge was blown out from under me years ago in VN. I have L-1 thru L-5 compressed, and I can't tell you how much better this lumbar cushion actually feels/works.

The description is as follows;

*Features lateral, lower back support for soothng comfort and helps to reduce driving fatigue.

*Heavy side bolsters provide extra support and improves seating comfort.

*Unique design allows air circulation for year round driving comfort, keeping you cool and dry.

*Extra large 53cm x 102 cm sze, portable, suitable for cars, trucks, boats, etc.

*Finest quality fabric with attractive color combinations compliments all car interiors.

*Non-slip backing and two elastic straps keeps cushion firmly in place.

*Durable, made of high density, heavy duty foam construction.

*One year warranty against defects of material and workmanship.

...On the Ody, you only use the top strap... the bottom one doesn't work on the Ody design, but you don't need it with the non-slip backing. I'm not in anyway affiliated or profitted by any of this... just passing on something my wife personaly found that greatly improves our driving comfort on those flat Ody seats!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
Center Console
Crystal Blue Dashhugger

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds great, Skybolt. Could you post some pics of what they look like or possibly a URL for the 'junk mailer'? I'm loathe to order something without at least a pic to see what I'm getting into.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, please post a pic... would like to see both colors too since I have the SS as well, not sure which would go better, I don't have the crystal blue dashhugger.

I too have back problems, having had two surgeries to repair a herniated L5-S1. But L1-L5 compression - wow, I feel your pain.

Thanks for the post, and looking forward to a pic or two.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Sounds great, Skybolt. Could you post some pics of what they look like or possibly a URL for the 'junk mailer'? I'm loathe to order something without at least a pic to see what I'm getting into.</font>
I'm afraid my camera capabilities are the throw-away, one time use kind... so I'm unable to post pictures. I just ran the sales-flyer through my fax machine to see if it would come out legible, but it just came out a black blob, so couldn't even fax a picture. I tried doing various searches around Lumbar Cushions, Falcon Seat Cushions, etc., and couldn't find them on the www. Although I know Starcrest has been around for sometime, I couldn't find a URL on them either... so I guess they've never taken their outfit online. I understand your loathing to order something you haven't at least seen a picture of, that's why I resisted posting about the cushions the first time I got them. But they are so neat, and comparatively inexpensive (the flyer shows an original price of $34) @ around $20, I thought maybe some might be interrested in taking the gamble. They have a dark-grey foam rubber like back that doesn't slip on the Ody's fabric. The front is very thickly sculptured for side-bolsters, lumbar, etc., and covered in previously mentioned colored fabrics, all having black horizontal thin stripes. They fit the Ody seat dimensions real good, they look as good or better than any cushion I've seen... and are extremely functional as a lumbar support, plus the added protection of your seat for when you drop that thing from the cup-holder... which will probably never happen now that I have something covering the seat, LOL.

Anyway, maybe someone else will try them who are more camera capable, and will post a picture. I'm sure anyone looking to improve their seat comfort, would be most pleased with these as we are. All other so-called lumbar seat cushions that I've seen, only have a slight bump or lump as opposed to these that have significant chunks of foam rubber that actually make a difference. My wife claims the Ody is now more comfortable than her living room, ...she may be right, but I still have a soft spot for my couch! LOL

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Yes, please post a pic... would like to see both colors too since I have the SS as well, not sure which would go better, I don't have the crystal blue dashhugger.

I too have back problems, having had two surgeries to repair a herniated L5-S1. But L1-L5 compression - wow, I feel your pain.

Thanks for the post, and looking forward to a pic or two.
</font>
Fortunately, I've never required back surgery, ...I think herniated would be more serious/painful than compressed. As previously mentioned, I'm unable to post a picture. For the SS, I'd definitely go with they grey. The blue works okay in ours because it ties into our blue dash cover, otherwise we'd stay with the grey. They look good and feel _great_! I thnk you'd be happy after taking the risk on a couple. I really ordered the second two as a backup, as I took out the middle-row seats the first week we had the van. I can't imagine going back to driving the Ody without them, so got a couple of extras after seeing how good they worked. I'll be putting in the mid seats for upcoming trip to see the kids & grandkids though, and will put the grey ones on those for their comfort, and protection for my seats! LOL

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
Center Console
Crystal Blue Dashhugger
Falcon Lumbar-Comfort Cushions

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost forgot about the uncalculated benefit from these, ...since I put the seat cushions on the Ody seats, we no longer get snapped by static-electrical zaps when getting out of the vehicle, a welcomed plus!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey Skybolt; do they look anything like this?

http://www.painreliever.com/als.html

I still don't quite understand whether you sit on it or it attaches to the back of the seat like these.

Do they "completely" cover the seats? Do you take off the headrest & pull them over the seatback? Do they "pop open" like those awful air-filter screens my grandparents used to have in their car seats?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Hey Skybolt; do they look anything like this?

http://www.painreliever.com/als.html

I still don't quite understand whether you sit on it or it attaches to the back of the seat like these.

Do they "completely" cover the seats? Do you take off the headrest & pull them over the seatback? Do they "pop open" like those awful air-filter screens my grandparents used to have in their car seats?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-02-2001).]
</font>
Nope. They cover the seat & back area in a one piece unit. Doesn't go beyond the top of the seat, so headrest is not affected. It does have a significant lumbar support _built into it_ somewhat similar to the pillow design you posted, along with additional sculpting & side bolsters. I merely pulled the stretch-strap on the top part over the top of the seat to the back, ...which keeps the back upright and in place. I took scissors and cut off the bottom seat strap & buckle so they wouldn't be in the way. The bottom strap doesn't work with the Ody design, but is not needed anyway as the foam rubber non-slip backing of the cushion's seat area and Newton's apple theory keeps it in place. I can see the need for the top strap, like when you fold the top of the seats forward or something.

They are a great fit on the front seats, the part you sit on and the part your back leans on. I put the mid seats back in yesterday, and put the grey seat cushions on those. The mid seats have a bit wider bottom (the part you sit on) than the front seats, plus they have the seatbelt buckle/receiver coming right out of the seat itself. Thought that might cause a problem, but they still worked on those too.

You might try calling Starcrest and ask for a mailing that would include that item, so you could take a look. The last order-woman told me it was one of their most popular items and she wasn't surprised that I was re-ordering them, plus they were advertised in the last two mailings they sent me... so just ask to get on their Starcrest mailing list and you'll no doubt get the right flyer. Be sure to stress Starcrest, as the order number handles several catalogs.

From my searching on the www, I've seen none better. The closest ones had the significant Lumbar part but were otherwise flat (no side bolsters, or additional sculpting)... and were over $100 each!

Be sure to tell them Skybolt sent ya, I'll get a free fruitcake in a 1997 tin... and if you don't like them, remember Chuck recommended them. LOL, only kidding on both parts.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...

Our daughter-in-law loved the lumbar support & was about to order four for their '01 Montana. I took one of ours and let her try it in their Pontiac for a couple of days first. Didn't work out there because the non-slip back "slips" on leather, plus the back side bolsters on the Pontiac seats prevented a proper fit.

I also tried them in our '90 Accord, no good because the back of the Accord seat also isn't flat enough.

They are _great_ on the 2nd generation Ody cloth seats though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I orderd the Starcrest catalog at that number you posted above and they sent me about 20-30 little glossy sheets of paper of various products...of course as soon as I opened the envelope and saw it wasn't an actual catalog but a bunch of single sheets I had the sinking feeling that lumbar seat thingie wasn't one of them.

Guess what? It wasn't.
The guy I talked to on the phone had no idea either as apparently that line is a main line for several different companies. I'll try again and see if I can't get a pic of some sort.

*sigh*

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the Starcrest Lumbar support seat cushion before I even took delivery and it is great! Got the Ody Saturday and and love the extra lumbar support from the cushion.

I too have tried several lumbar supports and am always on the lookout for a better one. I am happy with this one.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by infofairy:
I ordered the Starcrest Lumbar support seat cushion before I even took delivery and it is great! Got the Ody Saturday and and love the extra lumbar support from the cushion.

I too have tried several lumbar supports and am always on the lookout for a better one. I am happy with this one.

Thanks for the information.
</font>
You're most welcome! It's amazing how such a relatively cheap and simple item can so greatly improve the driving experience on your much larger investment. By any chance, are you able to post a picture for Marvyn, and for others that might still be on the fence? What color Ody and cushion(s) did you get? You made my wife's day, as she is proud of her find... and she enjoyed seeing your validation! So, Thanks back at you!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

[This message has been edited by Skybolt (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Skybolt, does the part you sit on raise you up any in the seat? I'm only 5'2" and would love to be a little higher up to see better when backing up. I saw that you're quite a bit taller than me, though, and you possibly might not like this product if it raised you up higher. Thanks for the info!

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skybolt:
... By any chance, are you able to post a picture for Marvyn, and for others that might still be on the fence? What color Ody and cushion(s) did you get?

Skybolt
</font>
I'm also wanting to get these as they sound great, but won't until I can see them first.

Please?

------------------
Steve P. (too...many...Steve's...here)
'01 GG EX w/ 5600 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vangirl:
Skybolt, does the part you sit on raise you up any in the seat? I'm only 5'2" and would love to be a little higher up to see better when backing up. I saw that you're quite a bit taller than me, though, and you possibly might not like this product if it raised you up higher. Thanks for the info!

</font>
Well, as a matter of fact I do sit pretty high in the Ody. Since the driver's seat doesn't have a memory feature, I sat my wife in it and then adjusted it until she said it was just right for her. It's never been touched since, so all she has to do is pull it forward when she drives it. She really thinks she's "tall", and ya better not disagree, LOL. Anyway, she's 5'5" which has the seat adjusted high for me, but it's been that way since we first got it and I've got no complaints... plenty of head room in the Ody. I do use the top of the door (under the window) for my left armrest, which I'm used to doing on cars anyway.

The seat cushion part you sit on, will add a little bit, but I don't know if it would be enough to warrant getting it primarily for that purpose. It does have a very thick & substantial hunk in the lumbar area for your back. The bottom part (what you sit on) does have some thinner sculptured foam rubber that is coveerd with material (cloth). Under my "svelte" 217 lbs. it probabaly compresses down to about a quarter of an inch, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more, ...but not any significant rise.

I wonder if you could cut a thick piece of egg-crate foam rubber for under it, if you needed some more lift? That might be a hassle when sliding in behind the wheel though, I don't know.

Have you tried more air in your tires?? ...okay, I'm starting to get silly now, can't help from teasing my wife too, sorry!! That is one of the things I like about the Ody, my wife doesn't have to "climb" in or out of it. But one thing we all have to get used to, is no matter how tall you are... ya just can't see the hood from the driving seat! That means no reflection or additional glare though, which is good.

Anyway, the cushion will _add_ comfort which is it's main purpose. Additionally, protection for seat-bottom surface & seat-back surface. But very little rise in height from my perspective. I do feel confident that you would like it better than just sitting on the bare flat Ody seat.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

[This message has been edited by Skybolt (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdp:
I'm also wanting to get these as they sound great, but won't until I can see them first.

Please?

</font>
OK, I got a pair and tried them out. Here's a pic for all you people out there...

When they arrived, I was a bit surprised. My wife said (and I quote), "You're not putting those ugly things in my car, are you?"

OK, I'll say it, they're ugly. In fact, I'd even say they are *UTT ugly. Every time I walk out to the Ody, I see them and say to myself, "I gotta take those ugly things out." But then I must get dizzy from staring at them and forget about it

Now seriously, they are comfortable. They've earned a permanent spot in the Ody since my wife has chronic lower back problems. They help immensely! We've used them for about a month and a half and are very happy with them.

So let's just say that seat covers for these cushions are on the top of my mod list!

p.s.- Skybolt, thanks for the find!! These are by far the most comfortable lumbar support cushions we've tried!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-18-2002).]

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well I was glad to see the picture, yes, they are ugly but so is chronic lower back pain. After 9 surgeries (on-duty accident as Police Officer which forced medical retirement) I know all about this topic. I have a similar set-up that I bought at a truck stop...though I didn't have the money for the vibrating model. Wow, this all sounds like an infomercial in the making!

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs
2000 Kenmore Vacuum with 5spd/adjustable suspension/Cyclonic cleaning/washable air filter/N.O.S. badge/racing stripes/100w headlight

·
Registered
239 Posts
shinjohn, how and where exactly did you order those cushion? how much per cushion? and how long it took for you to receive them?
I wondered why Skybolt said he tried them in her daughter-in-law's Pontiac van and they slipped because of the seat leather ? I think the strap will hold them in position and leather won't cause the slipping, do you think so?
I have an 02' EXL and its standard lumbar support is just better than none, I think yours really comfortable, but I wonder about the leather slippery issue.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
shinjohn, how and where exactly did you order those cushion? how much per cushion? and how long it took for you to receive them?
</font>
Ordered from Starcrest of California, just as Skybolt said. Just called the number and ordered with the info given on this page here. $19 each, free shipping. It took about 2-3 weeks for them to be delivered, but I ordered them right before Christmas.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I wondered why Skybolt said he tried them in her daughter-in-law's Pontiac van and they slipped because of the seat leather ? I think the strap will hold them in position and leather won't cause the slipping, do you think so?
</font>
The seat cushions have a foam backing. This (porous) foam grabs really well to fabric, but not sure if it will hold on leather well. The straps keep the cusions from separating from the seat back, but it's the friction of the foam that prevents sliding. I can tell you that the hold won't be as good as on fabric, but not having tried these on leather, couldn't say if it would be acceptable or not.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts