Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to HandA website and they have changed the price back to $200+. Does anyone know another source for one less than $150 or so? Thanks.

------------------
2001 LX SS

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you are looking for a whole head unit that is CD capable, visit BJ's. I saw one there for $79, detachable faceplate and such. I vaguely recall the brand was 'Rampage'. I don't know anything about the brand.

Try Ebay if you are looking for a CD add on to the factory stereo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like the single CD player that is an add-on. I'd also prefer a real Honda and not an aftermarket.

Is the 6-disc in dash that much better than the single?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I don't know that the single and 6-disc in dash units are different in sound at all.

In your position, I think I'd go for an underseat 6-disc changer instead if in-dash changer. I put one into the 94 Integra GSR a long time ago, and its still going strong. On the other hand, HandA has the in-dash version cheaper(half-list), limited time, much less than other suppliers.

Clearly either changer is a pile of money compared to the single-disc.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can find a major brand (I've got a Sony in the Ody, a Pioneer in my Blazer) multi-changer (6-12 disk) for somewhere between $150 and $200 at major retailers, e.g., Bet Buy. A six changer should be an easy fit under the driver's seat; my Sony 10 changer is a tight, but easy, fit under the driver's seat.

The ones I have are RF modulator type. True audiophiles don't like them because they limit you to FM quality. My ears think they're just fine.

Installation in the Ody is not very difficult.

Mel

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here is a new 6-disc underseat changer from Alpine which uses m-bus. I think that is the correct one for the Odyssey, but others around here would know better. Buy-it-now for $203! Unfortunately, it looks like the adapter for Honda costs about $100!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1336141385

I might buy it myself.

[This message has been edited by SuperDad (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'm in agreement with Mel re: aftermarket options that go under-seat.
If you want the best SQ, just spend a few more bucks for an OEM interface adaptor:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/acura_honda.htm

Many online retailers bundle an aftermarket changer, such as the Alpine M-bus with the adaptor for ~$200.

Alot of people here got a killer deal on OEM 6-disk in dash changers from Dalts, but they are all sold out. Maybe check with then to see what their "normal" price is...

If you want the single CD cheap, probably ebay is the best way to go...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
etronics.com has the alpine changer for $185.

Visiting sounddomain.com shows $49 for the Honda adapter. Might have to add $10 for a cable.

[This message has been edited by SuperDad (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dalts emailed me today with a price of $656.98 cdn + tax (~ $435US total) for the 6 disk in-dash Honda changer.

Does anyone know what the "killer deal" price was before from Dalts?

------------------
2002 Ody SS EX-L (end of April)
2000 Accord SE (gone when the Ody arrives)
1999 GrandAm GT

[This message has been edited by Mr. Z (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
13,603 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Z:
Dalts emailed me today with a price of $656.98 cdn + tax (~ $435US total) for the 6 disk in-dash Honda changer.

Does anyone know what the "killer deal" price was before from Dalts?

</font>
It was $185 US shipped to your door I think.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Was this an OdyClub group buy or just a really great sale? I wonder if there is much interest to try and attempt to get that price again? WIth a large number of orders, they may follow through...then again...maybe not

-Kevin

------------------
2002 Ody SS EX-L (end of April)
2000 Accord SE (gone when the Ody arrives)
1999 GrandAm GT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you guys know if Hand A's in dash 6 disc is a remanufactured unit. I tried calling him today and got his voice mail. Left my cell number and no return call yet. Waiting to hear. Either going with the V^ accord model or the add-on in dash 6 disc. I save the space under the drivers seat for nasty half rotten sippy cups. At least that's what we used to keep under our Volvo's driver seat.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Z:
Was this an OdyClub group buy or just a really great sale? I wonder if there is much interest to try and attempt to get that price again? WIth a large number of orders, they may follow through...then again...maybe not

-Kevin

</font>
It was the result of a suppossed "close out" on these units. IIRC, the dealer was able to get a quantity of units at close out prices (distributor's mistake, I think) and passed on that discount to customers. After they ran out, that was it. So, doubtfull you'll find another deal like that. Sorry!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mel_ody:
Do you guys know if Hand A's in dash 6 disc is a remanufactured unit. </font>
As far as I know, HandA does not sell ANY remanufactured product. (isn't it illegal to do so without explicitely stating that?)They sell new, genuine Honda parts. They're a brick and mortar dealer, just like anyone else, but they do alot of internet/phone sales on parts too.

Lots and lots of good experience with him from members in this site....

If you wanna be 100% positive, send Trevor email, usually he's really responsive to that.

------------------
-Shin John

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 03-07-2002).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts