Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 touring...

200,000 ish KM on the van...

today was driving...saw the battery light come up and message showing check charging system...
i saw smoke coming from hood area...
and i believe I smelt a smokey smell...

it could be my imagination, but I think i heard a 'hum' or 'whirring' sound while driving home...

i didn't turn off the van, but i did turn off the radio etc.
drove it home no issues...came home (at night)...parked, turned it off and started it up again...no starting issues...light/message still there....

does the smokey smell lead to a direct issue?

should i head over to the dealership and try to have them diagnose it with the computer system?

I did check for the belt...and it is still attached and was spinning perfectly fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like the Alternator lost one of the phases from ether a shorted stator or diode. When you lose a phase you will typically hear a growling noise. The burning smell is from the short so I wouldn't continue to drive it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i just woke up earlier than normal 545am....to try and fiddle around with the van...

checked voltage at battery with simple DC analog meter....it was about 13

I looked at the belt...it was still there...pressed down on it...no issues

started the van
when the van was running with radio on...it was just slightly less that 14.5 (but more than 14)
went back into the van....

no warning light or message in the dash...hmmm

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
One of your accessories might be locking up and causing the belt to slip and burn. Slipping belt, no charging - alt light comes on.

Did you or someone recently work on AC? If overcharged, compressor can lock up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
+1 to marvinstockman.

If it was the alternator, it is one way. It would die and that's it. Can you remove the belt and check each component to see if anything is binding?

If it is happening with AC, compressor. Some of the cars have separate belt only for AC.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you pursue this issue, I would not recommend taking it to a dealer. If you end up needing a new alternator, make sure you get a Denso new or remanufactured unit. No other brand will do. You can buy one on Rock Auto and have a reputable independent mechanic install it for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the time of the incident....we didn't have the A/C on...just stop and go traffic...

AC has NOT been worked on ...
Nothing has been worked on...

I only have 1 belt on this van...I'm thinking of just changing the belt...doesn't seem that difficult...compress the auto tensioner...remove belt....slip on new belt...release tensioner..

The only 'major' thing was the front valve cover gasket....it used to leak...my alternator WAS oily...but i've changed the vc gasket and alternator is dry now...

i'm wondering if an 'old oil drop' fell into some part of the alternator...

·
Registered
452 Posts
It could be possible. Remove the belt and check each component for oil contamination. If found some, clean it and better replace the belt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay back at this...

van has been solid since this incident until right now...

the check charging sytsem and battery light kept coming on (with a beep everytime) then disappearing...kept doing this for about 3 mins...

then it stayed on...but driving fine (no ac/no radio)..

then the van started jerking on me...okay I wasn't far from home so I drove through some stop signs and pulled up in front of my driveway...

that's when all the lights came on...ABS system, VSA system....the navigation screen kept loosing power and then powering on

what happened next was weird....while in drive...I would give gas...and the van was barely moving forward.
I put it in reverse, and it was doing nothing but revving up...similar to a neutral gear...

then i put it in neutral, and pushed the van back....but the whole time the van was fully powered and running...

had the van pushed back...then all of a sudden all the lights were gone and the reverse/drive are working perfectly and i was able to reverse up the driveway on my own

belt still there, looks good

is this a surebet alternator issue? the only thing confusing me is why I couldn't reverse...

also, at the time of this post...i swung by a guy who has a shop that does rebuilds...i asked him for a denso...he said they are all denso that he rebuilds, but then paints them....however, the internal parts are obviously not denso...

is that what i'm looking for?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
again similiar to last time...i went out this morning...started the van...

14.4ish at the battery...

turned on the radio and auto on the hvac so the ac would run ...

once the cooling fan would turn on, it would drop to about 13.5v and then pick back up to 14.4 v

should i just simply change the alternator or take it to honda and hopefully they have some sort of computer system that could pull the fault codes etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay let's do this again...didn't drive the van all day...

went out at night ...

checked the DC voltage on battery with car turned off...it was about 12.5ish
started the van...voltage was about 14.5 ish - i let it idle for a few minutes...

then i added load: both power seat heaters, flipped light to on (instead of auto), turned the ac on in all 3 zones (coldest setting), turned radio on...

checked voltage...it was at about 14ish
but i noticed every few seconds the ac compressor AND fan would turn on...run and then turn off...voltage would start dropping at the battery...

i watched it go to 12.5V
went into the van and same thing as last night, abs light, vsa light, gas needle fell to empty, navigation screen losing power, check charging system light is on...

then I turned off all the loads and turned off the van...
went to restart it and just a whole bunch of clicking (as in battery dead clicking)

I think I've overread this for my own benefit...but battery is used to start the van, alternator is what keeps it running and charging the battery...so the alternator isn't putting out enough voltage which means I need a new alternator?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is soooo confusing...all the local parts stores are telling me the housing is a 'denso' they can't guarantee the internals :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had to replace my alternator twice

first was not a dense alternator and failed within 15000, i had the same issue as you, with the smoke and burning smell.

the alternator was bad and also the AC blew out freon from the purge valve, maybe be related.

bought a remanufactured alternator from rock auto, also replaced a relay switch for the AC compressor. these relays apparently stick and cause a build up of pressure. got my part from napa for about $8 . replaced the one on my ridgeline also as a precaution.

both time i had the same exact issues before the smoke and alternator went bad

·
Registered
64 Posts
also best to replace the battery when you replace the alternator. it might be damaged and never know when it will go bad.

I didn't replace the battery the firs time and had issues on a road trip. would not start and barely kept the vehicle running. Had to turn off all accessories and AC, This was from vegas to LA. limped it to a costco and replaced the battery . had to rev the engine at stop lights to keep it running. thank god for portable battery jump starter packs

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Best to get a Denso re-manufactured alternator from Rock Auto or some other place where you know the internal parts that were replaced are Denso parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent 2 hours working very slowly and leisurely at removing this alternator....

I disconnected neg battery, took apart all the connections on the alternator and holy crap the plug that connects to the compressor took me close to 30 mins to remove...it was really hard to reach...

i've removed the pass side wheel line and unbolted the washer reservoir (i put a milk crate + some blocks to hold it up as I didn't remove the lines)...

I unbolted the alternator, removed the belt using the 19mm socket and the alternator is out of it's bracket...

but that's just it...it is out of the bracket but I can't get it out!

i've tried every which way, but it seems like it keeps hitting the 19mm tensioner bolt head....i've unbolted the a/c line from the bracket above, but the alternator is stuck between the 19mm and the really fat a/c line/hose...not sure how much room the a/c line has....can I bend it? or unbolt it somewhere further down?

·
Registered
452 Posts
You need to take out the tensioner. Only 2 bolts. There is no other way. Don't bend the AC line. A leak in that one, you don't want it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts