Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Check engine light 2016 odyssey

1755 38
Hi, I have a 2016 odyssey and recently I have been feeling lot of vibrations and something didn’t feel right, a week later check engine light came on and shortly after it said FCW sensor failed. Took it to dealership and they said misfire in cylinder 2 and piston rings have to replaced along with a couple other belts as the oil has contaminated them. They are quoting me $4250. After reading the forums, this seems like a VCM issue, please help on how to proceed. Thank you.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,422 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I have the infamous VCM problem, I have check engine light on and misfire on cylinder 2. dealership is recommending replacing piston rings replacement and belts and quoting 3k+. The main post recommends not performing any repairs and just replacing spark plugs and installing VCM tuner and it says the problem will go away over time.
Has anyone tried this? Please advise, thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Has anyone tried this?
Um, why yes. Quite a few. Turns off Eco mode and all the nasty problems and turning the motor back into a reliable V6.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Some of us VCM oldtimers suggested this for quite a while before @WiiMaster did everyone a huge favour and compiled the VCM Megathread a year and a half ago.

No one ever came back to tell us we were full of it. And God knows people hardly wait to throw errors in faces of those making them. You'll be fine - save your money.

·
Administrator
15,253 Posts
No repairs is subjective. You still have to replace the plugs at least. In some folks' eyes, that is a repair. The recommendation is to NOT pay for the ring job repairs.

Reactions: skelsall and Azdude

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
one fellow on this forum, soaked and cleaned the spark plugs then reinstalled them.
apparently that worked out fine.

you can buy 6 new iridium or ruthenium plugs off of rockauto for 70 bux with the 5% discount code.
if youre due or close to the 100k mile service life of the plugs, just change them.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 250,000 2010 Touring 120,000
319 Posts
Hi,
I have the infamous VCM problem, I have check engine light on and misfire on cylinder 2. dealership is recommending replacing piston rings replacement and belts and quoting 3k+. The main post recommends not performing any repairs and just replacing spark plugs and installing VCM tuner and it says the problem will go away over time.
Has anyone tried this? Please advise, thank you so much.
I have a 2010 EX-L that had that issue at about 185K-195K miles (don't remember exactly) and it was using a lot of oil. Dealer told me the same thing they are telling you. I replaced all sparkplugs, installed VCMTuner, and have driven it 60K miles in two years sence then with no issues.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring, 2018 Volvo V60
264 Posts
No repair, VCM muzzler worked for me.

Had the misfire condition. Did enough research to figure out it was the piston ring issue. Thought my 2013 was covered by the warranty and I could get the rings replaced for free. My 2013 was too late in the production run and outside the VIN range of the class action settlement so no joy. Just had the dealership replace the affected plug.

A few thousand miles later, happened again, same plug/cylinder. This time, found the VCM related info here. Replaced the plug on my own and installed an S-VCM. It's been trouble free for the last 50k miles or so. We've taken multiple road trips during that time, including one that totalled about 1700 miles round trip. I have full confidence in the vehicle with the muzzler installed.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
The main post recommends not performing any repairs and just replacing spark plugs and installing VCM tuner and it says the problem will go away over time.
Perfectly valid skepticism how disabling VCM from a forum ($300) can be a better solution than repairing the engine from a dealer ($3000).

Sometimes too good to be true is both good and true.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Someone else just trying to confirm this. Vcm disabler/new spark plugs is it..

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,422 Posts
Someone else just trying to confirm this. Vcm disabler/new spark plugs is it..

Someone else that just happens to be the same person as OP...

·
Administrator
15,253 Posts
Well. That someone could have posted in one of the many threads on this on the first page of the forum v/s opening 2 new threads. Someone's threads are now merged so at least less clutter. :)

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
811 Posts
I also frequent the Facebook Odyssey pages and it seems to be people posting the misfire issues almost daily now. I always tell them to refer to the Megathread here, and link it to their thread so they can look it over. Many listen and have success in fixing it, but there's a few frequent posters there (that probably work for Honda) that will always say that compression/leakdown tests need to be done, the engine will need to be torn down to verify the ring problem, and there's no way a muzzling device will work once the rings have been diagnosed as the issue because it has gone too far at that point. I tell them that there's probably hundreds here that have had permanent success installing a muzzler and new NGK plugs, and they will always say it's impossible or won't work. (There were even a couple of knuckleheads here that would always throw shade at anyone that recommends a muzzler too). I tell them not to spend a dime at the dealership and put in plugs and a muzzler and give it a shot for around $200 instead of $4,500 and see for yourself.

·
Administrator
15,253 Posts
(There were even a couple of knuckleheads here that would always throw shade at anyone that recommends a muzzler too). I tell them not to spend a dime at the dealership and put in plugs and a muzzler and give it a shot for around $200 instead of $4,500 and see for yourself.
You missed one from late last week. Calling them Belligerent is putting it mildly. They were attacking all the regulars and then went after me. :D
Their claim is, Honda paid for 90% of the repair and their Ody lasted over 100K miles and the dealers and techs know it best so we should not muzzle and "demand Honda fix this". They were stoked that they got a discount on the timing belt service while the engine was apart. In 3 years, when they have the same issue, not sure where they're going to post. ;)

• Sad
Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
I also frequent the Facebook Odyssey pages and it seems to be people posting the misfire issues almost daily now. I always tell them to refer to the Megathread here, and link it to their thread so they can look it over. Many listen and have success in fixing it, but there's a few frequent posters there (that probably work for Honda) that will always say that compression/leakdown tests need to be done, the engine will need to be torn down to verify the ring problem, and there's no way a muzzling device will work once the rings have been diagnosed as the issue because it has gone too far at that point. I tell them that there's probably hundreds here that have had permanent success installing a muzzler and new NGK plugs, and they will always say it's impossible or won't work. (There were even a couple of knuckleheads here that would always throw shade at anyone that recommends a muzzler too). I tell them not to spend a dime at the dealership and put in plugs and a muzzler and give it a shot for around $200 instead of $4,500 and see for yourself.
I admire your tenacity in frequenting Facebook Odyssey pages. The unrelenting torrent of idiocy I experienced there was way more than I could handle.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
811 Posts
You missed one from late last week. Calling them Belligerent is putting it mildly. They were attacking all the regulars and then went after me. :D
Their claim is, Honda paid for 90% of the repair and their Ody lasted over 100K miles and the dealers and techs know it best so we should not muzzle and "demand Honda fix this". They were stoked that they got a discount on the timing belt service while the engine was apart. In 3 years, when they have the same issue, not sure where they're going to post. ;)
Yes, I had read that as it was unfolding at the time, but didn’t get involved. The fool was making dopey comments about the amount of posts made by forum members and was being a real tool. Happens on the Facebook pages as well, but the vast percentages of decent members, at least on the van forums, seems to be higher than on other car forums.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts