Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 2002 Ody 3 days ago, and the check engine light came on this morning. This cools off my new car excitment.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odycadmus:
Just picked up my new 2002 Ody 3 days ago, and the check engine light came on this morning. This cools off my new car excitement.</font>
This might be naive on my part, but how about this approach: The car was smart and sensitive enough to detect a problem, possibly before it became serious. Of course how valid this is will depend on what they find at the shop and what happens in the future.

Most machines don't complain until after the fact (and out of warranty) and then it is too late. Is it better to get a warning or not?

I had an engine fail on a Lincoln TownCar nine miles shy of the 50,000 mile warranty. I took that as a good thing; better before than after.

Just a thought, and possibly one that is too Pollyanna-ish...

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Check to be sure our gas cap is on properly. Book says you should tighten untl you get severasl clicks. I happen to me on my '99 and took several short trips to for it to go out. If it does not go out, let the dealer hook up to the computer. Don't worry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing the dealer checked this morning was the gas cap. It was tight. The dealer is still checking to locate the problem (6 hours and counting...).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just received a call from the dealer. Can't locate the problem. The dealer is calling Honda for tech-support! They are keeping my van overnight. Do I break the record of servicing a new Ody in this forum, or someone else was worse?
________
2002 RRP-EX
200 Miles
Only for 3 days.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cadmus,

I had the same problem earlier in the year and posted a message in reference. The thread was updated as I went through the process with Honda. Finally, in the 6th or 7th posting of the thread I passed on what finally fixed the problem which includes the part numbers they ordered.

Others also wrote of similar experiences in this post and others.

Here's the thread to the original post http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000018.html.

Or just try a search for "CEL or Check Engine Light" and it will come up with other threads for the same problem. Hope this helps.

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

[This message has been edited by cwneed (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
One needs to remove the period at the end of the URL in order to use the link mentioned above:

</font>
Oops
. Sorry about that. The result of posting when your half asleep. thanks for fixing it.

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. After two day's checking, the dealer fixed the problem by replacing a defective solenoid valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem the day after I bought my new 2002 - it had a grand total of 40 miles on it. The dealer fixed it in 4-5 hours and gave me a loaner in the process.

Did put a damper in my belief about Honda reliability...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts