Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, 2011 Honda Odyssey. oil leaking on alternator. Believed it was coming from the front VVT. Cleaned that, new gaskets, resealed.

Drove it for a day just fine then my Check engine light came on with code P3497 which is valve pause system stuck off. Changed the oil and figured I was having a bad oil pressure switch. Changed that out and then drive it for a little bit with no problems then the check engine light comes on again with the same code and 0304 which is cylinder 4 misfire. Any ideas if there is an easy fix? I read a TSB that said these codes coupled on the Honda could mean I need a relief valve spring. Car was driving fine prior to cleaning and resealing the front VVT.

Any experience with this?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Probably in the 4th Gen section, and there's a current thread in the 3rd Gen '05-'10 section. Your cylinder misfire is probably related to VCM if your van has it, the TSB might be a temporary fix. 'Muzzling' to disable VCM eco mode is probably a better fix. Piston ring wear can happen when VCM mode switches off the cylinders, including your #4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So getting a VCM muzzle could fix both of the codes im having?

Probably in the 4th Gen section, and there's a current thread in the 3rd Gen '05-'10 section. Your cylinder misfire is probably related to VCM if your van has it, the TSB might be a temporary fix. 'Muzzling' to disable VCM eco mode is probably a better fix. Piston ring wear can happen when VCM mode switches off the cylinders, including your #4.

·
Registered
950 Posts
EX-L and Touring have VCM, at least in the 3rd gen. I don't know what trim levels it applies to in your generation. If you have the ECO light then you have VCM. Here's the thread: 2008 Honda Odyssey P3497

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
All 4th gen Odys have VCM. Getting a Muzzler is a good idea but it's a mask for the issue. That valve controls the cylinder pause for cylinder 4. The misfire is likely related to the valve problem. If I had to guess, I'd say the piston inside the valve is sticking. The code you have is for it sticking off, but the misfire would indicate it might also be sticking on but not yet setting a code for that. Removing that valve, cleaning, new gasket and retightning often leads to failure of the valve. There's been a couple thread on it just this week. Most likely you need a new valve and then be sure and torque it properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts