Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a an '04 with 165k miles. The Check engine light is constantly on and my mechanic says it is cool and cannot determine the problem. So, when I went to have it inspected, It failed because the light was on. My ody is running great, but I cannot get that light off.
I did read there was a fuse i can pull to stop the light from coming on...is this true? I have checked the gas cap and it is fine, so...could someone give me some advice about this dilemma.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Unless you want to remove the light bulb and ignore the issue, I suggest you go to a place like Autozone and have the code pulled for free. Then you can tell us what it is and do a search on here for it. I assume you're not talking about the maintenance light which is different.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Passenger kickwell, fuse #13 or clock fuse...remove for a few seconds and re insert...

CEL will be off and computer reset.

:joy:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Going to Autozonw after pulling the fuse is a waste of time because when you reset the computer all codes are lost. Also unless you fix the problem the CEL light will probably come back on. Also it will take several drive cycles to reset all the running tests to come ready which will show up in the inspection. Get the code culled first so you know what is turning it on and post here to find out what to do next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read the threads and it seems to me that the best solution is to start with the gas cap and work my way forward.

Purge control solenoid, canister vent shut valve, two-way valve, two-way valve solenoid and then the canister assembly.

Does this sound right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about your state, but in Virginia the inspection process includes the "bulb check" when you start the engine. That's when all the lights come on for a few seconds to show that the bulbs are indeed working.

If your mechanic can't pull the code, you need a new mechanic. You may have to go to a dealer if you can't pull the code yourself at AutoZone or wherever.

Another alternative is to contact the state office that writes the guidelines for vehicle inspections. I did this once here in VA regarding an old Volvo I had. There will be someone there who thoroughly understands how OBD works and knows about the eccentricities of particular makes and models. That person may also have documentation about your particular make/model/year of vehicle and may be able to give specific advice you can pass on to a competent mechanic. Alternatively, that person may be able to issue a waiver if there have been enough issues with your make/model/year.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If it's the 1st time you've seen the code then have it reset and see if it comes back in short order. I had it's brother code, P1456 and the post on sealing of the fuel inlet seems to have fixed it. I've heard of others getting this code from old hoses that are starting to crack. These codes are sometimes sporadic so tough to nail down. May show more at certain times of the year dependent on the weather. Mine would show up at one particular Dunkin Donuts when I had around half a tank of gas.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
P1457 is a failure in gas tank pressure and most of the time is just not tightening the gas cap. It should be turned at least six clicks. It is cheap enough so I would just replace it. If the problem is fixed the CEL will go off after a few drive cycles. If it doesn't go off you will need to look for cracks in the fill pipe, hoses, or tank. You may have to have it pressure tested. You can also reset it as mentioned above but if the problem is still there it will come back on after several drive cycle and it will not pass inspection until all drive cycle tests are complete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
William,

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for the post. I will head to autozone and get another fuel cap today. Hopefully it will be a fix. If the problem persists, I will get the line pressure checked and move forward. I will post to give updates on my status with the P1457 code...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts