Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My wife has an 05 Touring that, tonight, decided that it was going to throw a CEL and Eco would no longer work. We drove approx 90 miles to a dealership to pick up my new truck. While sitting in the parking lot with our 3 small kids, she turned the van off. A few min later, restarted it. This is when the CEL came on. Then we had to drive the 90 miles back home. 55mph county roads and 70 mph interstate. No Eco on the way home at all...

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pull the code...mine CEL was Catalytic converter on bank 1 (there are 3 CC on Ody, I think).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wife had the code pulled earlier today. Ill have more details later this evening. Something about a software update. Sounds like its going to run about $50...

·
Registered
250 Posts
The wife had the code pulled earlier today. Ill have more details later this evening. Something about a software update. Sounds like its going to run about $50...
I don't think software update will trigger CEL...CEL is not like windows update notice. when there is issue with engine components, that's when CEL comes up. Not notifying the owner of software updates.

I am just saying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the low down.

Code pulled is P0171

Identifix Direct-Hit (software the shop used) states to refer to Honda TSB #10-006 for a software update for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
P0171 is system lean bank 1. Not a bad converter. What you need to do is look for a leak around the intake manifold or any of the hoses. If you have a scan tool that will show you a data stream look at the short term fuel trims on bank 1 as you spray carb clean around and look for it to go rich. If it dont change the o2 sensor. Trust me you dont need a converter iv been a tech for 14 years and see this kind of stuff all the time

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
P0171 is system lean bank 1. Not a bad converter. What you need to do is look for a leak around the intake manifold or any of the hoses. If you have a scan tool that will show you a data stream look at the short term fuel trims on bank 1 as you spray carb clean around and look for it to go rich. If it dont change the o2 sensor. Trust me you dont need a converter iv been a tech for 14 years and see this kind of stuff all the time
No! There is a software update for this code. If it does not fix it, then the van needs a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No! There is a software update for this code. If it does not fix it, then the van needs a valve adjustment.
ok try the update but a valve adjustment would not be it as it would ware down the valves would open less and less air would flow and seeing as the fuel inj. is right next to the valve it would still get all its fuel it would be running rich.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
ok try the update but a valve adjustment would not be it as it would ware down the valves would open less and less air would flow and seeing as the fuel inj. is right next to the valve it would still get all its fuel it would be running rich.
Again, this is not accurate. Honda V6 motors get this code occasionly and some have software updates. In the FSM, the very first step in troubleshooting this code is .... Valve adjustment. If code returns, then replace injectors. Again, this is directly from Hondas own shop manual.
Also, if you search the different forums here, you will find then series V6 motors get tight exhaust aves and this code results.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again, this is not accurate. Honda V6 motors get this code occasionly and some have software updates. In the FSM, the very first step in troubleshooting this code is .... Valve adjustment. If code returns, then replace injectors. Again, this is directly from Hondas own shop manual.
Also, if you search the different forums here, you will find then series V6 motors get tight exhaust aves and this code results.
Now when you say series are you talking about c or j ? The c used hydraulic lifters on the intake valves and tapets on the exhaust valves

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Now when you say series are you talking about c or j ? The c used hydraulic lifters on the intake valves and tapets on the exhaust valves
The odyssey never used the c series, that was a 90 degree used on the Legend. The ody is a J32 or J35 only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The odyssey never used the c series, that was a 90 degree used on the Legend. The ody is a J32 or J35 only.
This I know and dont forget the 94 to 97 accords had a c27 in a few of them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts