Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Normally I check the level of transmission fluid from dip stick after the fan come on twice and wait between 60-90 sec. then I check it. My question is driving from work to home about 25 mins(about 23 miles), would it be okay to check the dip stick within 60-90 seconds after turning the engine off?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can't imagine that even in the coldest weather your Ody wouldn't be at normal operating temperature after 23 miles.

If you want to be sure, monitor the ECT with an inexpensive OBD II scanner and the Torque app. Compare the "old" way vs. the "new".

Check it with confidence. (y)

Reactions: TonyHonda

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DerbyDad03, Thank you. I will order one tomorrow. What is the normal operating temperature for Odyssey and Accord?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Tony, to answer your original question: Yes. Your engine and transmisison will be at operating temp. Just make sure you are on level ground. Don't over think this - it's just checking fluid level with the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
DerbyDad03, Thank you. I will order one tomorrow. What is the normal operating temperature for Odyssey and Accord?

Thank you,
If I'm not mistaken, the OEM thermostat on an Ody opens at 172°F. I can't speak to the Accord.

Just FYI...I know that you don't have VCM on your EX, but what the VCM muzzler does is fool the ECU into thinking the ECT is a few degrees below the actual temperature. Based on that, let's look at these 2 facts:

1 - By design, the VCM will not kick in below the point where the engine is fully warmed up.
2 - On my EX-L, as long as the torque app is reading less than 172°F, my VCM never kicks in.

Based on those 2 facts, you can confidently check the tranny fluid at anything >=172°F.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tony, to answer your original question: Yes. Your engine and transmisison will be at operating temp. Just make sure you are on level ground. Don't over think this - it's just checking fluid level with the dipstick.

You know checking it after driving, between 60-90 seconds of turning engine off is the correct way as per the manual, However, if I also check it before I set off in the morning the difference in height on the dipstick is about 3/16".
Now I mostly just check when cold and occasionally will check when warm, anyone see any problems with this?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Now I mostly just check when cold
While you may be perfectly safe in using your method, I don't think that the engineers at Honda recommend their procedure just to get a laugh when people burn themselves or work up a sweat while standing over a hot engine. I'm sure there is a reason why they designed their dipstick and wrote the procedure as they did.

Unless someone can convince me that it really doesn't matter, hopefully by explaining why the Honda engineers recommend the method that they do, I'll stick with the way they recommend. IMO, a tranny is too expensive a part to take chances with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Unless someone can convince me that it really doesn't matter, hopefully by explaining why the Honda engineers recommend the method that they do,
I've done it both ways over and over and get the same results, try it sometime it's certainly got me scratching my head?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for you input.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've done it both ways over and over and get the same results, try it sometime it's certainly got me scratching my head?
I have no doubt that it's the same. However. there must be a reason that Honda recommends the method they do.

If I had to guess, it's because they don't want to introduce the variance that might occur if you check your fluid in Kotzebue, AK (been there!) in January vs. Death Valley, CA (not yet) in July. There's a 126°F swing between the highs and the lows in those locations.

Assuming the Ody keeps its ECT within the range they want in either environment, 60-90 seconds of "off" time is not going make much difference in any ambient temperature.

Either that or they ordered the wrong size dipstick. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Either that or they ordered the wrong size dipstick. :D
Well at least it's a Honda anyway, my girls Chevy Cruze doesn't have a dipstick, you have to undo a bolt on the side of the transmission when it's at a specific temperature and oil spills out of a weephole, it has to be within a specified range and you have to use the torque app to access the computer trans temp readings and only then I believe within a specified range.
One BMW model had a few years back neither a dipstick or anything similar to the above, only a computer that would notify you on the dash that you were low! Perish the thought that a switch, relay, bulb or any kind of fault anywhere along that circuit would take out your entire transmission....

Reactions: BlackWillow

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
Knowing the engine temperature says nothing about the transmission temperature. After a cold start, the engine reaches operating temperature faster than the transmission does. Conversely, after a hard pull up a steep hill, the transmission temperature could be hotter than the engine.

As mentioned above, don't overthink this. The transmission will be warmed up after 23 miles. Then check it per the manual.

Dave

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Knowing the engine temperature says nothing about the transmission temperature. After a cold start, the engine reaches operating temperature faster than the transmission does. Conversely, after a hard pull up a steep hill, the transmission temperature could be hotter than the engine.
All true. I misspoke. What I should have typed was:

"Assuming the tranny fluid is within the range they want in either environment, 60-90 seconds of "off" time is not going make much difference in any ambient temperature."

As mentioned above, don't overthink this. The transmission will be warmed up after 23 miles. Then check it per the manual.

Dave
I think we are all in agreement that that is the correct answer to the original question. ?

However, some of us are also discussing the practice of checking it while it is cold, even though the Honda engineers want it checked while hot, with the engine off and within a very short amount of time. I claim that there must a reason Honda wants it done that way, thus my "guess" about it being because huge swings in the ambient temperature might change the level on the dipstick and they want to eliminate that variable. (I doubt that's the reason, but it's the only guess I could come up with.)

Other manufacturers want the vehicle warm and running. I'm curious about that also. Why are there different methods for different manufactures?

Why isn't tranny fluid checked the engine oil is: i.e. waiting until it has all drained to the bottom?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I gave up on checking the ATF at operating temp. I never could get an accurate reading. I just check it when it's cold.
Ok, that's re-assuring to hear...

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
IIRC, the dipstick has a marking for where it should be when cold that say cold on it, I might be wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts