Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you who have children in car seats. Do you arrange your middle row seats in a bench or captains?

We just got our EX last week and have tried both ways. We liked having it a bench with the car seat in the middle to get our daughter in the middle of the van.(Hopefully a better position in a wreck) But when we did that the seat belt holding the car seat in made getting into the third row seats very difficult.

Now we have the seats captain style and it works great for getting in and out, but we are a little uncomfortable with having our daughter closer to the door. I guess we need a LATCH seat, maybe that would solve our problem.

Anyway, what has everybody else done? Any creative solutions we haven't thought of?

Travis

·
Registered
103 Posts
We went with captains seating for the reason you specified (seat belt). I have since put the EZ-Latch system on that seat, so I could put it in the middle, but choose not to. In all honesty, I never thought about that being a safer position, good idea. However, I like the way we have them for ease of getting our daughter in and out (still have to lift her at 14 months old), don't often need to access the 3rd seat, and gives my son in the other seat a little space.

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2900 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Latch attachment? So I don't have to buy a new carseat? I have a cosco "eddie bauer" edition seat (closely matches the DEP color of the van!), and was hoping I could do that - because of the same problem as travis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put them together as a bench seat, because my kids like to hold hands on long drives, and share books, etc. I just got my Century EZ LATCH retrofit kit in the mail yesterday, and can't wait to use it. It IS very hard getting into the 3rd row, with the seatbelt across, so, it'll be nice with the LATCH. So far, the only LATCH retrofit kit is for Century seats, but other manufacturers will probably be coming up with some soon.

------------------
~Angela~
'01 MB EX
-cassette
-mud guards

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Ours are in the outboard locations. The center spot IS generally considered safest. Still, Odyssey does get good side impact ratings and has a lot of mass. Carseats with wings on the side also provide some degree of side impact protection.

Personally, I wouldn't fret the difference if it is a lot more convenient to use the seat in the outboard spot.

I have not heard any details on a possible Cosco LATCH kit, though Graco and Evenflo will market them later this year.

I have some photos of the Century model in the gallery, and will have a whole page set up on Odyssey carseat installation in the next 1-2 weeks.

I sure wish my 32mo boy would tolerate being next to our 10mo daughter. In the van or anywhere!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
We have it in captain configuration. Mainly because it's easier for my wife to remove our girl.Although we would want her in the safest position which is the center,I think this spot is still pretty safe in the Ody.

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX
http://www.fototime.com/inv/F549E20307C08A3

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree the the center is the safest - my daughter likes looking out the front window too. My is only 18mos but she is always pointing at things up ahead.

If the only options were the captains I read somewhen that the safest side is behind the driver because in a crash situation the drivers reflexes will take him/herself out of harms way.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Driver vs. passenger side:

Actually, statistics show a slightly (probably meaningless) higher probability of a side impact on the driver side:

http://www.crashtest.com/imgserver/angle468.gif

There are a couple other good reasons to put a single seat on the passenger side instead of the driver side:

- When parked on the street, unloading on the curb side is usually safer.

- In severe rear end crashes, bucket seats sometimes collapse, especially with the weight of a passenger. The passenger seat is less likely to be occupied, and therefore will have less potential to crush a carseat behind it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, we have the Cosco "Eddie Bauer" seat, as I mentioned, and we just bought the Century LATCH adapter.

Now, I know what you're all going to say, you can't use this adapter on anything but Century seats - but I can only imagine you say that without seeing it. The first clue that it'll work on any car seat is that the ONE kit will work on any Century seat, even with all the different designs they have.

All it is is a seat belt (more or less) with a latch on each side. So it doesn't "fit" with some specific leg design of the seat, it doesn't make the seat a convenient "just push it in" sort of thing, it makes any old seat work with the new system.

Until you actually see it, please don't judge me for using an adapter from the "wrong" manufacturer. Not only is it simply a generic replacement for a lap only belt, but I put it in, tugged hard to tighten it up, and the car seat has NEVER been as secure as it is now. The whole van is rocking when I test it out without the car seat slipping at all. It is rock solid, a built in seat couldn't be better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
when we had only one child we used the seats in the bench arrrangement; moving the drivers side second row seat forward when guests had to get to the third row. now with two children, the bucket seat arrangement seems to be the only way to set it up.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gfxguy:

Until you actually see it, please don't judge me for using an adapter from the "wrong" manufacturer.

</font>
No judgement necessary. Parents have to make so-called "tough choices" about carseats (and everything) all the time.

Clearly, you understand the reasons a certified technician could not recommend this (based in part on liability). The main points being that such configurations have not been tested by any manufacturer. As such, it is specifically recommended in the training that products never be used with a carseat unless they are specifically approved by the manufacturer of the carseat or vehicle.

As you note, the reason for you to do this is that it results in a better fit.

No one can make this decision but you:) We only provide the information to make sure you understand all the options...

One interesting note is that Graco (owned by Century) will not be using the Century EZ LATCH kits as their design. That is because the length of the clamps apparently is not compatible with some Graco carseats. So, Graco will be releasing their own version later this year. Ironically, the tag on the Century EZ LATCH webbing says that it was made by Graco:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2000 LX, which unfortunately does not have the built in anchor points on top of the seat. I guess this is new in > 2000 models? I do have the tether anchor point underneath the seat. Question - can I use these anchor kits even though I don't have the anchor points on top of the seat? Perhaps there is a way to connect it underneath the seat. Using the regular seat belts is a real pain.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Unfortuately, only some newer VW and Audi models have kits to retrofit LATCH (the lower anchors between the seat cushion and seat back). LATCH was new for the 2001 models, and only in the 2nd row for the Odyssey.

Theoretically, you could buy a new captain's chair from a 2001 model. Assuming the anchoring on the floor is the same, and I suspect it is, you would then have LATCH. I am not recommending this, and don't know the cost, but it may be possible. If you investigate this option, please post your findings.

Without the dedicated anchors, there is not a safe way to use LATCH in a vehicle that did not come equipped with it. Yes, you might be able to kluge something, but it wouldn't be tested and could be dangerous. Well, if ckon came up with a LATCH mod, it would probably be OK :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
We had to deal with this issue last week when first putting our carseats in our van. We have two rearfacing seats at the moment. We ended up putting the seat into a bench for now. At the time we thought it would be only until they turned one year (January) but after reading a lot of saftey info, maybe we will be leaving them rear facing for longer. It would be far more convenient to have the front facing seats in the captain configuration, but would rather trade saftey and peace of mind for convenience. I did buy two latch retrofit kits, though, so that my 9 and 5 year olds did not have to climb through the seatbelt on the end.

------------------
-'01 MB EX
-Honda cassette
-plenty of Scotchguard!

P

·
0 Posts
Hey twinmomma,

Babies must be 1 year old AND at least 20 lbs. before they're safe in a forward facing seat. Didn't know if you had come across this in your research...

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, Michelle. I did know that from our older two, but I was referring to some things I've read that suggests leaving them in the rear-facing position for as long as the weight limit on the particular seat allows. Our boys are already 17+ lbs, so in another 5 mos. we'll be WELL past 20. However they are still short for their age. I have to look it up, but I think the Alpha Omega is good for rear-facing up to 30 or 35.

------------------
-'01 MB EX
-Honda cassette
-plenty of Scotchguard!

P

·
0 Posts
I've never heard that.

I know of a parenting board full of car seat techs I can ask. Would you like me to ask them about this?

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

P

·
0 Posts
Just to let you know, many of the car seat techs I've talked to DO NOT recommend car seats with an overhead sheild. There's a possibility that the child can strike their face on the sheild (which is not padded sufficiently) in case of an accident and cause some major damage. The overhead sheilds that I've seen only have a 3-pt harness, and a 5pt is MUCH safer.

If you need some advice on which seat to buy, you can check out http://www.parentsplace.com/messageboards. Scroll down to Products and Review in the center column and click on Car Seats. The regulars there all know what they're doing.

Just a thought.

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Rear facing is indeed safest, not only for kids, but for adults too. Of course, it isn't practical or accepted for an adult, so the best we can usually do is to keep our kids rear-facing up to the limits of current carseats (30-35 lbs). Frontal crashes are the most common and most energetic. A rear facing seat cradles the entire back, neck and head. A front facing seat is most dependent on the harness, and has a much smaller restraint area. A harness also leaves the head and neck free to be thrown forward. Rear facing seats also provide some degree of addition side impact protection. Children are often kept rear-facing in Sweden to age 4, and the rate of deaths in motor vehicle crashes there is almost 0.

As for overhead and tray shields- they are safe. All current seats on the market meet and usually exceed all motor vehicle safety standards. It is generally accepted that a 5-point harness is preferred, and in at least one study on very small infants, there was an increased risk of head injury from an overhead shield. It is not bad advice for a tech to suggest that a 5-point harness is safer, but it would be bad advice to suggest than any current overhead shield carseat is unsafe (again with the possible exception of newborns and small infants). I'm not speaking from opinion, this is right out of the material in the 4-day course.

Shield boosters are another issue. None are currently rated above 40 pounds. Under 40 pounds, a harnessed front-facing seat is safer. While the manufacturers dispute this, that IS the recommendation in the materials for the 4-day technician course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts