Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we seem to have inadvertently turned the childproof door locks on. i now cannot open the door from the inside or the outside. Does anyone know how to open the doors. the manual says i should push the lock tab up , but the door is closed and i cannot get to the lock tab - help?

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
With the lock on, the door should still open from the outside. Am I missing something? It seems you have a door problem or something is stuck in your door.

As to reaching to the lock, well, if you did that to both your doors, one of you have to crawl into the back to open the lock I guess. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you arent missing anything, the door wont open from the outside - the manual says to just flick the tab up, but with the door closed i cant get to the tab -- if you have any other ideas, I;ll take em
thanks.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Whatever it is, it is not the child proof lock mechanism (if it is working properly of course). I have them set and the doors open from the outside with no issue (powered/manually/via the remote)...

I assume you have the the power doors so make sure they are enabled (switched on) and try opening them with the remote or by pulling the handle as usual if you haven't done so. I know it sounds stupid, but they are heavy when opening w/o power and, if it is very cold or there is snow/freezing rain, the insulation rubber tends to "glue" the doors to the frame, making them feel like they are stuck. It has happened to me twice already during these past rainy/cold weeks, you can ever hear an unsticking noise when opening. I believe this will go away as the rubber's surface starts wearing off

My 2 cents

·
Registered
144 Posts
When you say it won't open from the outside are you referring to manually opening it with the handle? Try the dashboard switch or your remote.

If that's not it, close everything and lock the car with the keyfob then unlock all.

FYI the childsafe lockout prevents them from opening with the inside handle or switch. The "parental" switch up front, the exterior handle, and the keyfob should all still work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can it be that they are frozen shut? It has happened to us. The snow melts in the sun and the temp drops below freezing; the doors are then frozen shut by ice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel door -- genius !!
Thanks it worked, my wife happened to get gas just before all this started.
But is that some sort of design flaw? do i need to get it serviced sometime soon.
Nice job hasenpfeffer !

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
Um its working as designed. You don't want your door to open on you while you're filling up do you?

Close the lid completely and the door should work. Except, if you bend a metal plate too far, the door won't trigger a switch indicating the door (the fuel filler door is what I mean) won't indicate that its shut which in turn won't allow your sliding door to open.

You might want to fill in more details with your questions as the last question too is lacking details. Do you still have the problem? Is the fuel filler door fully shut? Was it open a bit when you were having issues? ......

·
Registered
144 Posts
not a flaw, it's by design. the day i brought mine home, i opened the gas cover by mistake with the driver's side sliding door open. it wouldn't close so i had to sneak a ruler in there and close the gas door. unless that refuel door is shut, the sliding door appears to be disabled.

Dfisch said:
Fuel door -- genius !!
Thanks it worked, my wife happened to get gas just before all this started.
But is that some sort of design flaw? do i need to get it serviced sometime soon.
Nice job hasenpfeffer !

·
Registered
196 Posts
note that you can override the feature if necessary by manually working the lock tab several times until it stays unlocked.

·
Registered
196 Posts
vqdriver said:
not a flaw, it's by design. the day i brought mine home, i opened the gas cover by mistake with the driver's side sliding door open. it wouldn't close so i had to sneak a ruler in there and close the gas door. unless that refuel door is shut, the sliding door appears to be disabled.
my wife just mentioned that if honda was smart enough to make it so the sliding door won't open while the fuel door is open, why didn't they use the same brains and make it so you can't open the fuel door while the sliding door is open...duh...

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
hasenpfeffer said:
my wife just mentioned that if honda was smart enough to make it so the sliding door won't open while the fuel door is open, why didn't they use the same brains and make it so you can't open the fuel door while the sliding door is open...duh...
Yep. Absolutely right on that one. Why let one open the fuel filler while the sliding door is open and then disable the sliding door. Duh indeed.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My other car is a Mazda5 and if the fuel door is open the sliding door opens but stops before it hits it. If you open the fuel door while the sliding door is open it does nothing, sliding door closes as usual, it does not scratch/damage anything...

Frugal-thinking design beats mambo jumbo safety mechanisms that just add to the car costs :stupid:

Now, if I could place 3 car seats comfortably and safely in a Mazda5 and still have enough cargo space and the same fuel economy... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts