Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a better idea than placing a towel underneath the cild seats to protect the leather on the new Ody's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I have always been told not to store leather jackets in a plastic bag, because it must breathe. Won't a rubber mat damage the leather then?? If not, it seems to be the right product!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Only thing I can add is that I've used one of those vert "seat savers" for just over a year now on my Volvo leather seats, and there have been NO nagative effects.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you thought about the side airbags? I want to cover the whole seat with a cover but worried about preventing the side airbags from deploying properly.

Right now, we just a lower seat cover that my wife made for the front two seats. Nothing for the back rest.

Any ideas anyone? There's got to be side airbag friendly seat covers.

Warren

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Have you thought about the side airbags? I want to cover the whole seat with a cover but worried about preventing the side airbags from deploying properly."

When we went to see our new 2002 EXL-RES the dealer showed us that the side airbags come out of the front seats (I could feel the cartridge inside the front passenger seat on the side next to the window) and protect the driver and front passenger. Contrary to what I had thought, he explained that the side airbags do not deploy into the middle seat area where children sit.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES on order

·
Registered
55 Posts
Babies R Us (most items accessible from online/amazon) also carries a seat saver that's made out of that "grabby" stuff used for tool drawer liners, non slip liners, etc. - it's like a kind of grabby rubber, but it's a mesh so there's plenty of air space. - that would be my first choice. now the real question is, has anybody found a decent latch child seat? fisher price discontinued their car seats (and the safe embrace 2)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allart:
Does anybody have a better idea than placing a towel underneath the cild seats to protect the leather on the new Ody's? </font>

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought the rubber mat at Babies R us along with a matching car seat for out '02 with Tan leather interior. I really didnt like the mat because it didnt cover the entire seat like where the rugrats muddy feet would be.

I found a very nice seat cover at PEP BOYS. I threw the box away but it is one of the large seat cover manufacturers. Anyway, its simulated leather, about $35 for 1 and almost identical to the factory leather. It even came with a matching cover for the headrest. So I folded up the armrests on that seat and slid the cover on. Now the entire seat is covered and wont be marred from the carseat or junior
. Plus if I want to pull it off, just 2 hooks and its off.

I tried both and found the seat cover to be more appealing than the mat but either would work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With all these different style seat covers out there, has anyone encountered the following problem:? The leather underneath the cover actually gets worn faster than without one. This is because the harshness of the cover is still actually moving with the person who gets in and out. This causes rubbing and will wear out the leather quicker. I have seen this on several occasions and one on an NSX with sheepskin covers. The black leather got really worn out because of them. Just curious to see if anyone else had similar experiences? Any input is greatly appreciated.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES on order. October delivery.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The cover rubbing on the leather makes sense with some kinds of seatcovers. But the cover I put on has a smooth inside and since it goes underneath a carseat there is no real movement between the 2. The main reason I used it is to keep the carseat from leaving indentations in the leather which it appears to have done so for.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">With all these different style seat covers out there, has anyone encountered the following problem:? The leather underneath the cover actually gets worn faster than without one. This is because the harshness of the cover is still actually moving with the person who gets in and out.</font>
If you see this with a car seat, then your car seat is NOT installed properly.

There should be ZERO movement between the child seat and the car upholstery and seat mechanism.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts