Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you gotten 'ChipGuard' for your Odyssey(or other vehicle)? It is supposed to be a thin clear film that is applied across the front of a vehicle to keep bugs and stuff from damaging the paint.
Potential problems I might predict:
Yellowing of the film
Removal difficulties(after years)
A fine line where the film stops

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The <a href="http://www.chipguard.com/index.html">Chip Guard website</a> makes the product look interesting. Ody kit prices US$150 or CA$180. It looks like Chip Guard custom cuts 3M Scotchcal 8 mm clear adhesive urethane film.

<a href="http://www.eastwoodcompany.com">Eastwood</a> sells rolls of Chip Guard for around US$30. The roll of tape is 3 3/4" wide (75" long), so it doesn't cover much of the hood.

I'd be concerned (here in the snow-and-salt belt) about rust. Also, I wonder if the paint underneath the tape would age at a different rate.

Here's 3M's <a href="http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/automotive_oem/trim/ppf.jhtml">Scotchcal info</a>.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 02-16-2002).]

·
Registered
483 Posts
The detailer I know does not suggest it. They actually sell & install the 3M brand but suggested against it due to fading in the long run. You may need to replace it regularly (3-4 years) if you want it in good shape. I guess it's because of our weather here.

What they suggested was to put a bra (nose mask) on long trips.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A bra is not any better for Canada.

Dust & sand gets in between the bra and the paint, acting like sand paper on the long run.

I have seen cars that used bras that were down to bare metal in spots.

Best regards from Montreal, Canad

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
The detailer I know does not suggest it. They actually sell & install the 3M brand but suggested against it due to fading in the long run. You may need to replace it regularly (3-4 years) if you want it in good shape. I guess it's because of our weather here.

</font>

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:

</font>
I agree with just using a bra on long trips. I couldn't find a price for a kit, but I think it is expensive and requires professional install. It does say that the warranty is 4 yrs/80KM so it's not intended for the life of car. So does that mean you have to have it professionally removed and replaced? I would be concerned about dirt, grime, and wax build-up at edge of film (they even mention this in their FAQ). I do think that covering the headlights might be a good idea. They can really take a beating over time and make a car look old.

·
Registered
69 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RobertC:
Dust & sand gets in between the bra and the paint, acting like sand paper on the long run.

</font>
Yeah, the bra requires a little maintenance. Install-and-forget is NOT recommended. The Ody nose mask fits well and does not chatter or flap against the paint. It's not for everyone, but long trips and high speed is where it is most effective. Protects against stones and corrosive bug juice.

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
29 Posts
As an auto appraiser in FL, I cam across this product a couple of times. Both times, the owner said they did not want it re-applied with the repair.

Personally, I wonder why you would put something ugly (it IS ugly if you are close enough) on your vehicle to keep something ugly from happening? Kinda like the clear plastic seat covers on a nice couch. Instead of enjoying the nice couch, you sit on hard, sticky, and uncomfortable plastic. Why?

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoTexSS:
As an auto appraiser in FL, I cam across this product a couple of times. Both times, the owner said they did not want it re-applied with the repair.

Personally, I wonder why you would put something ugly (it IS ugly if you are close enough) on your vehicle to keep something ugly from happening? Kinda like the clear plastic seat covers on a nice couch. Instead of enjoying the nice couch, you sit on hard, sticky, and uncomfortable plastic. Why?
</font>
I agree. However, I had an earlier post that no one replied to about Stoneguard for headlights. It is a clear vinyl cover that you apply to your headlights to prevent damage and pits from road debris. It is about $60/pair and looks easy to install and looks like it would hardly be noticeable. I was interested because my 96 Villager's headlights really got sandblasted over time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
I agree. However, I had an earlier post that no one replied to about Stoneguard for headlights. It is a clear vinyl cover that you apply to your headlights to prevent damage and pits from road debris. It is about $60/pair and looks easy to install and looks like it would hardly be noticeable. I was interested because my 96 Villager's headlights really got sandblasted over time.</font>
Sorry, I forgot the link:
http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/what_sgl.asp

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much are the headlights to replace on our Hondas?

$60 seems steep for glorified contact paper. Doesn't it?

------------------
2001 LX SS

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoTexSS:
How much are the headlights to replace on our Hondas?

$60 seems steep for glorified contact paper. Doesn't it?

</font>
I'm not sure the cost, but I'm sure they are not cheap. But my main concern is to keep my headlight lens clear. Like I mentioned before, my 96 Villager "had" crystal clear lens until 4 years of sand and dirt sandblasted it to a haze. The cost is a little steep for this vinyl protection, but it is custom cut to fit your headlight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RobertC:
A bra is not any better for Canada.

Best regards from Montreal, Canad

RobertC

</font>
I have used the Honda bra for my Accord for several years with no problems on paint. The trick is not use it during wet season (remove it and dry it before putting it on). A thick waxing job on the hood before putting it on and make sure the bra does not flap.

What I did not like was the bungee chords to secure it under the hood.

I also used a Evolution 3 Car cover when the car was parked to minimize dust etc.,

[This message has been edited by starlight (edited 02-22-2002).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
A good friend of mine worked for 3M automotive and he got me some ScotchCal for my 2000 Sienna.

He had it custom laser cut for my vehicle and we installed it. Very easy to do, but you need to take your time and do a good job to make it look good.

Could you see it? From about 2 feet away, yes, you could see there was something there. I had it on for over 2 years in Minnesota and it still looked great!

He had his on a bright white Jeep Grand Cherokee for over 4 years and it still looked great, nice and clear.

Scott

·
Registered
29 Posts
ON my Taurus and next-door neighbors Galant, I took some polishing compound from a body shop and used it on the lenses. The Galant was 5-6 years old and the lenses had yellowed real bad. The Taurus was only a year old, so the headlights didn't look as bad. After we applied the compound (had petroleum and diatemaceaous earth - sp?) it looked GREAT. The compound was only used on light colored vehicles and clear parts - plastic, glass, etc.

Just a hint for a little DIY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All -

I have used a bra on my '86 Accord (metalic maroon paint) and had the paint faid under the bra and get scratched beyond repair. I've never used another bra on any car.

On the flip side - I've had 3M film on paint and stone guards on the headlights of my Porshe 911 (metalic blue), Audi S6 (silver), Nissan Pathfinder (metailc maroon), Saab 9000 Aero (flat white), and have had EXCELLENT RESULTS!!!

I fully intent to install both on my new black pearl Odyssey. The best results are with metalic paints. I've noticed the slightest bit of yellow fade on the flat white Saab, but the car is 8 years old. I'd rather live with a bit of fade rather than stone chips and rust.

Anyway, when waxing, you have to be careful to remove the wax line on the edge of the film.

Additionally, I have to admit, I have never installed the film myself. After watching the installer do it perfectly, I decided that I didn't have the expertise or patience to do it myself.

Aaron

'03 Odyysey EXLES
'95 993 C2
'94 9000 Aero

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree totally with Aaron and sgergen. I have had this product installed on 2 Nissan Pathfinders, including my 2001 LE, and have been very happy with the results. It is thin, clear, hard to see and does an amazing job of protecting the paint from rocks and bug damage. After 4 years on my old Pathfinder, it looked like the day I installed it (after 4 winters of salt/sanded roads in Calgary).

After seeing a pro install it, I would highly recommend leaving it to them...

You can see it on my 2001 PF LE here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/phil99_5

"mask1" and "maskclose" will give you a good idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have posted several messages on this item. I have the kit in my garage at this time, and am planning on doing my own install ASAP. I hope to utilize my tinting experience as well as some patience. It came with a spray bottle, warranty information, squeege, special towels, care instructions, and an installation videotape. I haven't had the time to look at any of the data yet, but have investigated several websites that have detailed instructions. I have posted it before, but the site is www.interwestdistribution.com.

I have looked at a lot of options and also feel that the inherent tradeoffs of the film should outweigh any negatives. I have put a small edge on the driver's door as a sort of test, and the results are favorable. It's not completely invisible, but the protection should outweigh the slight reduction in "beauty". My Ody will be garaged, and keeping it waxed should help.

I like seeing more and more threads on the positive side of the fence. Now if someone would just say they did it themselves and it was a piece of cake...

I'll continue to provide updates, and digital shots as I go (if I feel I have the time to stop and photograph during the installation).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have the clear bra/stoneguard, but I wish I had it on my Audi S4. There's no use now, as damage has already been done. Many S4 enthusiasts have used it, and I don't recall seeing anyone regretting. I seem to remember that the only negatives came from people who installed themselves. Most people were only using installers with a LOT of experience, especially with the custom kits. I am considering one for our new 2003 EXL RES.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the clear bra on my 02 SS EX-LRES. It was installed by the dealer and included with the sale. They not only put it on the front of the hood but on the bumper, side mirrors and a thicker piece on the headlights. It's a 3M product that is guarenteed not to fade your paint or turn yellow over time. So far I have been very pleased with the product.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts