Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some opinions on getting my EX wheels chromed. Please give me your honest opinions.

Anyone sent their wheels off to get chromed, or used one of those chrome wheel exchanges?
Who did you use? Would you recommend them?
How do you like them? Does the chrome hold up well with regular maintenance? Would you do it again?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses!

·
Registered
596 Posts
The tire rack once had a piece on chrome plated wheels and suggested that they were hard to keep. They felt they were a bad choice in harsh climates.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

P

·
0 Posts
Ours are chromed. My step dad took them to a local automotive shop (he knows the owner). $200 bucks later he had shiny wheels. They're also chroming our LeBaron's wheels right now.

We had the Chrysler wheels chromed about 9 yrs ago, and they started deteriorating pretty quickly. A different guy did the Ody's wheels. So far so good. Just ask around...

Here's what it looks like:

Michelle

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Michelle, I REALLY like the look in your photo.

On the other hand, in general I like the alloy look better than chrome. On a lot of cars (not yours, Michelle), e.g., the bright red Mopars, chrome wheels look cheap.

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV, etc.,
Mel

P

·
0 Posts
I know what you mean. Some cars just don't handle "shiny" too well. My Civic included. The Ody is borderline, IMHO. I personally think there's better ways to spend 200 bucks, but it's not my money so I'm not worried about it.

I'm just hoping that the Chrysler's wheels aren't too shiny because it'll look terrible. It has Turbo Beetle wheels on now and looks horrible. Luckily it doesn't get driven.

Michelle

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts so far, and especially thanks for the picture!!

I saw the pre-02 wheels chromed, and they looked great, so I was hoping the '02 wheels would look as good. IMHO, they look fantastic!

I sort of assumed that chroming would not last as long, but I live in the south and don't get the harsh winter environment that some have to live with. Maybe if I keep them clean and waxed I can get 5 years out of them....

And can keep my wife from playing bumper curb!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, NWF_Snake!

Can you share with me which service you ended up using and the cost? How's their service and would you recommend them? I'm interested in doing the same with my wheel once our Ody arrives.

Thanks,

Mecca

·
Registered
272 Posts
With Chrome a lot of it is in the quality of the person/co that does it.

I had 5 year old chromed rims on the NSX I sold "as new" and they looked perfect. The guy I found specialized in high end stuff and worked in LA (does a lot of Lambo, MB, BMW, etc). He even chromed the plastic centercaps (very difficult to do well). I have all my emails archived and I can look him up - if anyone is interested. As I remember it was close to $120 per wheel (not cheap at all).

Downside is really cost AND weight. A good chrome job can add 7 lbs to a wheel. Doesn't sound like much but that unsprung weight really adds up if you care about acceleration.

YMMV!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ody was late in deliver, so we have only had it about a month. Probably NOT going to chrome the wheels, as my old Windstar lost a head gasket in the U-Sell-It lot and now I am out another grand! Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men....:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts