Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think I've recovered from the shock of Chuck poking holes through his body frame enough to think about doing this as well.

I know, I know! My mods are piling up...that's what happens when you have a 3 month old & a 3 year old...the wife 'frowns' on me spending my evenings tinkering with the van.

Anyway, I looked at your pics again Chuck and the more I look, the more I like! I really miss having a dead pedal so I think I'm just going to go ahead & do it.

I still haven't done the glovebox light yet but I have all the parts I need (except time!).

Good job as usual Chuck. I dont think anyone can hope to keep up w/ you with your mods (except Nestor!) but the detailed pics you provide are a godsend to us 'wanna-bes'

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you spend too much time on mods, "the wife" may suggest the next one be a bed in the back of your Ody... if you know what I mean. :-(

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
My mods are piling up...that's what happens when you have a 3 month old & a 3 year old...the wife 'frowns' on me spending my evenings tinkering with the van.
</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hehe.

For Rent
Spacious 1-rm condo. Private entrance, overhead lighting, carpet. Includes modular furniture, terrific hifi system, privacy glass. Low mileage.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ok, I think I've recovered from the shock of Chuck poking holes through his body frame enough to think about doing this as well.
</font>
You won't be sorry if you install the deadpedal. Um... unless of course your wife kicks you out...... hmmmm.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lesse...

Brand new dremel! (check)
#14 2" screws (check)
pedal on order (check)
3M rubber spray...no check

Where did you get the 3M spray, Chuck? Pep-boys or something? My local Home Depot didn't have it.

PS I've been *dying* for an excuse to get a dremel anyway.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (3300 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Lesse...

Brand new dremel! (check)
#14 2" screws (check)
pedal on order (check)
3M rubber spray...no check

Where did you get the 3M spray, Chuck? Pep-boys or something? My local Home Depot didn't have it.

PS I've been *dying* for an excuse to get a dremel anyway.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (3300 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>
</font>
Got it at our local Murray's Auto Parts. It's like Pep Boy's. For some reason, Pep Boy's hasn't done very well in our area. Most of them have closed.

BTW, feel free to blame me when convincing your wife you need a new Dremel (or whatever)!
Of course, you and I know that won't work. My wife (and yours, too, I'm sure) sees right through that kind of ploy.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
BTW, feel free to blame me when convincing your wife you need a new Dremel (or whatever)!
Of course, you and I know that won't work. My wife (and yours, too, I'm sure) sees right through that kind of ploy.

</font>
Agreed. Imagine the look on my wife's face as I try to explain "but,this guy Chuck on the internet told me that I needed to buy a dremel tool!"

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmmeyers:
Agreed. Imagine the look on my wife's face as I try to explain "but,this guy Chuck on the internet told me that I needed to buy a dremel tool!"</font>
LOL! I don't think we fool them very much. We're pretty transparent. Sharon, my jewel of a wife, just pretty much gave up on trying to make sense (to her) of the things I do. She knows I'm anal and will eventually do whatever, so she just smiles and shakes her head and walks away. The good thing is she's usually pretty happy with what I've done even when she couldn't see a reason to do it in the first place.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm a newbie, both with the Ody (for my mom, and we all use it as a weekend/trips car, but I actually like it much better than my ML320... which I'm considering trading for an Ody for myself) and Ody mods...
We have a joke in our family: if I want to start some tinkering project, I just say I'm doing it for my 1-year old daughter and I... we all get lots of laughs, but in the end, I'm cleared for most projects.
2001 LX Silver:
Zero mods yet, but I'm working on S2000 Antenna and in-dash MP3 player. I'm considering a full wireless-thin-client server to use for internet access (I don't like TV or videos very much) and as a hoby showcase. If I ever get around to it, I'll post details with pics., etc. for everyone.
Thanks for the great education and community.
Kyle.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
</font>
It doesn't have to be 3M. Mar-Hyde makes a great undercoating. You can get it at Pep Boys. I prefer the "paintable" variety because it cures with a hardened skin. The non-paintable type stays rubbery and can be messy if you have hot summers.

I have both types in my garage.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim. I like that paintable one...

I'm still waiting on the pedal to arrive; it had to be special-ordered so I haven't gotten to do this yet.

I have to say again that I cannot stand not having a dead pedal. Not only that; but the area where the pedal will go is extremely uncomfortable (its like a corner of some sort) and even w/ sneakers on, my foot get fatigued if I keep it there awhile. VERY UNSATISFACTORY. My only alternative is to put my foot flat on the floor mat and since I'm 6'1" I find even w/ the seat all the way up that my leg tends to lean into the door causing my knee to get stuck under the door handle/rest. I had a bug bite on the left side of my knee and I'll be damned if the rubbing didn't end up causing it to swell & get infected (nice pus-filled insect bite) so I'm really wanting to get a new place to rest my foot on long drives.

ramble ramble ramble...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nyvram-

I do not think "pus" is covered under the regular or extended warranties. Too bad. I think maybe Toyota covers "pus" unless a pre-existing condition can be proven.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dead pedal arrived yesterday. Good, something to work on to take my mind off current events.

Chuck, how difficult was it to determine the 'optimal' location of the pedal? I can see some bending will be in order; but there's that 'square corner' right there where your foot goes. I know you've built a couple of dead pedals so I thought you might have some advice on finding the 'sweet spot' for installing it.

I think I going to put it dead on that uneven corner and bend the right rear foot downward at an angle to be flush to the slope. I want to ensure I miss the brake cable but also want it in a comfortable spot for my foot. (the advantage of making your own dead pedal; its RIIIIIIGHT where you want it.)

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Help me out here: my 02 has a space on the carpet that they'd probably call a dead pedal; there's a piece of rubber bonded to the carpet right where my left foot wants to go.

Is this new for 02?

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Help me out here: my 02 has a space on the carpet that they'd probably call a dead pedal; there's a piece of rubber bonded to the carpet right where my left foot wants to go.

Is this new for 02?
</font>
From Chuck's "Dead Pedal #3" pictures, it looks like it was there in the 2001 model.

------------------
-- Todd

'02 GG Odyssey EX-L
'99 Forester S

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Dead pedal arrived yesterday. Good, something to work on to take my mind off current events.

Chuck, how difficult was it to determine the 'optimal' location of the pedal? I can see some bending will be in order; but there's that 'square corner' right there where your foot goes. I know you've built a couple of dead pedals so I thought you might have some advice on finding the 'sweet spot' for installing it.

I think I going to put it dead on that uneven corner and bend the right rear foot downward at an angle to be flush to the slope. I want to ensure I miss the brake cable but also want it in a comfortable spot for my foot. (the advantage of making your own dead pedal; its RIIIIIIGHT where you want it.)

</font>
If you look closely at the pic in the album that shows the pedal installed, you can see the "ledge" or hump in the floor just above and forward of the "pad" (I won't call THAT a dead pedal!) that's on the floor. The new pedal sits just about on a straight line forward of the pad, and you're right, it takes some bending. I think the lower leg on the left was the one that I had to bend the most, but I may be wrong. It's pretty obvious where it needs to be bent once you've determined the right position. Now, locate where the parking brake cable routes down and across the floor and there's just room for the pedal to fit between the cable path and the little hump in the floor ahead of the pad. Good luck and have fun. It's really worth the effort!

PS: BTW, in this position, the floor pad serves as a perfect heel rest and keeps the carpet clean; at least until the snow flies around here. Come to think of it, by then, the Weathertechs will be in the van again.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
What kind of price is everyone paying for the dead pedal? Has anyone looked into alternatives for the '86 Accord pedal?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$24.44 (retail $31 or so)

...or you can visit a junkyard..there are TONS of 86-89 Accords there...course it won't look all special in a nice shrink-wrap bag.

I got it from hondaparts4u so the above price included free shipping....and they 'packed' it in honda tshirts! They used 2 100% cotton tshirts w/ HondaParts4U logos as bubble-wrap.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
$24.44 (retail $31 or so)

...or you can visit a junkyard..there are TONS of 86-89 Accords there...course it won't look all special in a nice shrink-wrap bag.

I got it from hondaparts4u so the above price included free shipping....and they 'packed' it in honda tshirts! They used 2 100% cotton tshirts w/ HondaParts4U logos as bubble-wrap.

</font>
That's a GREAT deal!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my rubberized spray so now I'm all set to do this mod. It appears the bottom (left) foot will need to be bent the most (sort of downward to fit at a 45 degree angle or so) and possibly the upper right foot.

I can't wait to do this! After I've got this installed my 'back-mod' list consists of:

- Video On My NAVI wiring
- Restring steering wheel (I got the twine, I just keep putting this off because its rather time-consuming)
- Zaino (speaking of time-consuming...)
- Re-install Poron

Once these are done, I'm chilling for awhile on the mods.
My wife is already calling the van 'my girlfriend' as in "I just opened another gift for your girlfriend in the mail today."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts