Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, after a year and a half of use how are the type-R wheels holding up? I haven’t found definitive weight ratings (several different numbers), but have a few sets local to buy. I like the look and they would go good on my black Ody.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
630 Posts
Out of curiosity, if you get the chance to weigh them could you post up the weight of the stock rims and type r rims? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Elite
574 Posts
FK8 Type-R wheels are approximately 29lbs each. OEM Type R Tire weighs approximately 21.6lbs

My '19 Ody Elite Wheels weigh approximately 25.56lbs each. OEM Tire weighs approximately 27 lbs.

Not sure on the 20" Pilot wheel (pictured in this thread, 42700TG7A31) . NOTE: The 45lbs weight claim that is floating around the web is grossly incorrect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to pick a set of these up with mint tires for cheap. I don't like the huge tire look so I'm going to leave the rubber bands on and lower the van to see how it looks. If the black doesn't go well with my Brown Oddy then I'll have them coated in a bronze color.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm about to pick a set of these up with mint tires for cheap. I don't like the huge tire look so I'm going to leave the rubber bands on and lower the van to see how it looks. If the black doesn't go well with my Brown Oddy then I'll have them coated in a bronze color.
lol that is not the best idea to keep skinny tires designed for 3000 lb car on 4500 lb minivan... most type r tires are 90Y rated, for odyssey you need at last 101H for safety (stock 18s are 103H)
it is not just a look, it is safety, if you think your safety is below the look of your van, think about others around you :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
lol that is not the best idea to keep skinny tires designed for 3000 lb car on 4500 lb minivan... most type r tires are 90Y rated, for odyssey you need at last 101H for safety (stock 18s are 103H)
it is not just a look, it is safety, if you think your safety is below the look of your van, think about others around you :)
After doing some research I would need to swap out the tires with a 245/45/20 to be just a hair under the factory wheel and tire size. That and it wont have a massive tire. The OP looks to have a much bigger tire than a 45 series. I didn't realize the stock type R tire was a 30 series.......now I see why everyone swaps these wheels so fast. Huge rim and tiny tire, not a good combo.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You sure the rims can handle the weight of the Ody?
No it cannot.

Apparently no one here has experienced this. Not only is it dangerous for yourself and passengers, your studs, wheel bearing, etc all are affected too.

Get some MDX or pilot wheels or something. FK8 wheels look terrible anyways, offset is off for the van chassis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No it cannot.

Apparently no one here has experienced this. Not only is it dangerous for yourself and passengers, your studs, wheel bearing, etc all are affected too.

Get some MDX or pilot wheels or something. FK8 wheels look terrible anyways, offset is off for the van chassis.
This doesnt make sense to me. Lets say the van weighs 4500lbs. The 4500lbs is pressing down on the studs, bearing and whatever else at the same rate* regardless of the rim. Now if it were throwing off the camber or any dimension that would shift the weight or load point yes. But just because a wheel is weaker doesn't make the rest of the hub weaker.

After doing some research the weight of the model of my Odyssey is 4354lbs. The Type R is 3121lbs. The load rating on EACH Type R wheels is 1323lbs......Thats 5292lbs total load rating and my 4354lb van is well below that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This doesnt make sense to me. Lets say the van weighs 4500lbs. The 4500lbs is pressing down on the studs, bearing and whatever else at the same rate* regardless of the rim. Now if it were throwing off the camber or any dimension that would shift the weight or load point yes. But just because a wheel is weaker doesn't make the rest of the hub weaker.

After doing some research the weight of the model of my Odyssey is 4354lbs. The Type R is 3121lbs. The load rating on EACH Type R wheels is 1323lbs......Thats 5292lbs total load rating and my 4354lb van is well below that.
do you take in consideration that you don't let your van drive itself without passengers and stuff in the trunk? Gross weight of Odyssey is 6019 lb...

·
Registered
13 Posts
do you take in consideration that you don't let your van drive itself without passengers and stuff in the trunk? Gross weight of Odyssey is 6019 lb...
all the passengers I have equals no more than 500 pounds. I usually never have anything in the trunk because its too small. I use my other van with the 3rd row removed if I must haul something or the wifes SUV. This vehicle is just for when everyone wants to go somewhere together instead of taking multiple vehicles.

Not sure where you are getting the weight but if you google it, it shows 4300-4500 pounds and 1 shows 4400 curb weight. gross weight is passengers plus cargo or a maximum load. I will never be at maximum load. so that 6000lbs is out the window.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
574 Posts
@Dy2_Str33t_King , you are not the first one, and you are surely not the last one. I will do my best to explain how the wheel load rating works when selecting wheels (from a consumer's perspective).

There are two things on the VIN plate on the door jamb on many vehicles.
  • GAWR F and a GAWR R.
  • GAWR stands for Gross Axle Weight Rating.
  • The F and R stand for Front and Rear, respectively. -
  • Do know that the GAWR-F + GAWR-R DOES NOT equate to the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

You need to take the larger of the two numbers and divide by 2 to get the minimum wheel load rating to go on that vehicle.

For example
a 2019 Civic Type R has
GAWR-F: 2205lbs
GAWR-R: 1764lbs

a 2020 Odyssey Elite has
GAWR-F: 2888lbs
GAWR-R: 3230lbs

So what that means is that the proper wheel, for a Honda Odyssey Elite, should have a minimum wheel load rating of 1615lbs. If the Type R wheel is indeed 1323lbs (source of your finding would be a warm welcome), then it is extremely unsafe to run that wheel. Period.
Many engineering values and variables are considered when choosing a wheel for a certain application. Small things like impact loading (dynamic), static loading, heat cycles, crash impact absorption & dissipation, etc etc are crucial when planning to design and test wheels.
Also, often times, people forget about 'scrub radius'. It affects how well your vehicle behaves on a rutted road and also under braking. Last thing you want to do is affect the scrub radius so much, that the vehicle is unruly and hard to control when needed. Scrub is affected by your wheel's offset, overall tire diameter, and the tire width.

We can only advice you what is best for you and everyone. One can always argue that 'I have had this for many many years, and I am perfectly fine'. Well, good for them, but for the safety of my family and others on the road, I will stick with what is recommended. End of story.

Not directed towards anyone, (moderators know this best) but anyone knowingly advocates misuse and unsafe utilization of tools and products hold no place in a public forum. It is irresponsible at the least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Dy2_Str33t_King , you are not the first one, and you are surely not the last one. I will do my best to explain how the wheel load rating works when selecting wheels (from a consumer's perspective).

There are two things on the VIN plate on the door jamb on many vehicles.
  • GAWR F and a GAWR R.
  • GAWR stands for Gross Axle Weight Rating.
  • The F and R stand for Front and Rear, respectively. -
  • Do know that the GAWR-F + GAWR-R DOES NOT equate to the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

You need to take the larger of the two numbers and divide by 2 to get the minimum wheel load rating to go on that vehicle.

For example
a 2019 Civic Type R has
GAWR-F: 2205lbs
GAWR-R: 1764lbs

a 2020 Odyssey Elite has
GAWR-F: 2888lbs
GAWR-R: 3230lbs

So what that means is that the proper wheel, for a Honda Odyssey Elite, should have a minimum wheel load rating of 1615lbs. If the Type R wheel is indeed 1323lbs (source of your finding would be a warm welcome), then it is extremely unsafe to run that wheel. Period.
Many engineering values and variables are considered when choosing a wheel for a certain application. Small things like impact loading (dynamic), static loading, heat cycles, crash impact absorption & dissipation, etc etc are crucial when planning to design and test wheels.
Also, often times, people forget about 'scrub radius'. It affects how well your vehicle behaves on a rutted road and also under braking. Last thing you want to do is affect the scrub radius so much, that the vehicle is unruly and hard to control when needed. Scrub is affected by your wheel's offset, overall tire diameter, and the tire width.

We can only advice you what is best for you and everyone. One can always argue that 'I have had this for many many years, and I am perfectly fine'. Well, good for them, but for the safety of my family and others on the road, I will stick with what is recommended. End of story.

Not directed towards anyone, (moderators know this best) but anyone knowingly advocates misuse and unsafe utilization of tools and products hold no place in a public forum. It is irresponsible at the least.
I did a bit more thinking after this whole discussion (before your post) and had decided against it. With factors I did not think about like bumps in the road, highway or going over train tracks, the impact points would take significantly more weight or force because the van being so big and that could def cause some very scary scenarios. Even a simple up and down from a country road would bring more weight to the wheels and I do not want to be in a bad wreck for any reason because of this. The weight shifting and changing on every turn or bump would be nerve racking enough to make me not want to drive with my family in the vehicle so I'm just going to get an aftermarket setup that I know will be reliable. Good info on your part Smuf.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
574 Posts
That is a good decision on your behalf. If you are really liking the FK8 CTR wheels, IPA FK wheels may interest you. The wheel spec is 20 x8.5" +55mm offset (G5 runs +50mm from factory) FK – IPA Wheels

However, the wheel loading is 1580lbs (third party website) as listed. I would reach out to IPA wheels and get the confirmation. At 35lbs less than the minimum load rating for the Odyssey, it would be a question you can also pose to the wheel maker and get their reaction. ((I would still be hesitant to move forward, if the loading is indeed 1580lbs)).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like the title says, we got them installed on my 2019 Odyssey Ex-l yesterday.
A long story short my friend wanted to go down to 18" on his 2017 Type R and offered the wheels to me for the price he paid for his 18" wheels which is a bargain. Bolt pattern is the same (5x120) and they are only 0.5" wider with 10mm more offset compared to my stock 18" wheels so I figured why not. I didn't want to give up comfort of ride so I decided to go with Pirelli Scorpion STR 245/50/20 tires. Turned out I have literally a credit card or two gaps every direction which is perfect and it's not rubbing any. The only thing we had to add was 5/16" spacers (10 full turns even with a spacer!) for the rear to clear the control arms. Also these tires were so stiff that we had to cheetah the crap out of it to mount.
So far:
Drove about 150 miles without any problems
No rubbing at all even at hard bumps
No rubbing doing full 2 lane u turn
No rear rubbing with 13 boxes of 50lb vegetables (I own a restaurant in Orlando so I had to buy some supplies and loaded as much as I can in the back to test)
All in all I'm very happy with the looks (Sorry I'm not into thin tires and lowering) and outcome so far :)
Hi, I’d just like to know if these rims have held up through the years. I’m looking to purchase the same rims for my 2020 Odyssey Touring trim. Any information would be much appreciated. Can the rims handle the weight of the van? Also how has it performed? Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Elite
574 Posts
You guys should really think hard before placing an improperly load-rated wheel on vehicles and run them in public. This is just irresponsible. I just hope in this dumb move, you guys don't severely hurt or kill yourself, or others on the road.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts