Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
De ja vu all over again. It was the tranny for the 2nd gen. The torque converter for the 3rd gen and not sure why the 2010's aren't included as they have the same tranny as the 2009 but ah well.

Tuly saddended by the way things are going with Honda. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Proactive recalls to fix the issue would have been the right thing to do.... well now it's beyond that.... Honda probably thought they could get it done through 'lawyers' inexpensively than replacing parts 'expensively'....

It's sad.... My 09 Odyssey is my 4th vehicle from Honda/Acura family... despite a failed tranny on 04 odyssey and the judder just popping now and then on my 09 odyssey..... I haven't given up on Honda yet.... But Honda is certainly pushing the limits on my consumer loyalty..... Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai (and even Kia) are just inches away getting my next business.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
They deserve it. I know how my car drove when I purchased it. I know how it drives now. They are not the same. The technician agreed when I drove with him that sopmething was wrong with my van but Honda Techline says that everything they see is normal. My gas mileage has gone down quite a bit as well. I called honda of america to file a complaint. When Julie called back, she kept trying to talk over me when I mentioned that other people were complaining about the same thing that I was complaining about. I finally had to tell her that she needed to let me finish my sentences before she started talking. Had to be the worst customer service experience ever. I figured they were going to blow me off. I was prepared to be calm and just wait for it to break since I have the extended warranty. This person just would not let me talk.

"This is how the car is meant to drive" "The reason the ECO light does not come on is because different people have different driving styles" "The hiccupping is normal when going between 6/4/3/ cylinders."

The only time I can get my car in ECO mode now is with my foot off the gas or going downhill.

What total BS.

They need to fix the problem and give people back more money than they have spent on the issue since they are probably burning an extra gallon of gas per tank than they would have had the TC been working properly.

Might not seem like a lot to you. But I fill up once a week. At todays gas prices you are talking about an extra $200 per year.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just curious what you mean, because the ECO light is not VCM. From what I understand, the ECO light has nothing to do with hardware... just lets you know when your driving style is "ECO". VCM is supposed to go unoticed. There's no indicator to us when VCM is shutting off or re-firing the cylinders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ummmm...yes there is....that is what the ECO light is showing you. Going from 6 to 3 cylinders in my '06.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just curious what you mean, because the ECO light is not VCM. From what I understand, the ECO light has nothing to do with hardware... just lets you know when your driving style is "ECO". VCM is supposed to go unoticed. There's no indicator to us when VCM is shutting off or re-firing the cylinders.
My ECO light was always accompanied with varying levels of light vibration that I have always associated with the car going into either 4 cyl mode or 3 cyl mode. I am driving now with my foot almost entirely off of the gas pedal and I still can not get the car into eco mode unless I am going downhill. If it does go into eco mode, it is usually for a split second. I will feel the hard shift (hiccup), then eco mode light will come on. A split second later the eco mode will go off accompanied by another hicup. This happens contstantly at cruising speeds with cruise control on or off while on flat roads.

It might not be related based on what you are saying. All I can tell you is that I used to get in ECO mode all of the time. Since I started having this constant shifting/hicupping at cruising speeds, I rarely get the car to stay in eco mode.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You're right. I apologize. I just got off the phone with some guys who know more about the ECO light. I heard previously that it was just "good job" light, but today's call revealed it does go on when the VCM is shutting cylinders.. AND when coasting, etc (no fuel is being injected when coasting), etc.

Anyway, hope you guys get your vans running well. I'll be paying attention, but I'm still only 32k miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ummmm...yes there is....that is what the ECO light is showing you. Going from 6 to 3 cylinders in my '06.
No sir, the ECM light is not directly linked to VCM operation.

It may very well be on with VCM operating, which is why most think its a direct relation, however it can be on without VCM operation. And I can surely tell (can feel the vibes changing and transitioning on/off) when VCM is operating but the light it NOT on!!!

The easiest to understand example is when off thottle. Zero gas is used, VCM is not operating and yet the light IS on.

Some other threads go more in depth to prove the fact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anybody knows how we can keep track / follow-up on the class action progress ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
currently getting my torque converter replaced, and the rest of my transmission looked at while im in there. hopefully there is more details to this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone joined the Class Action? Or are we all automatically included?...looks like we might be, it says the class includes:

"All purchasers and lessees of any 2005 through 2009 Honda Odyssey vehicles who reside in the United States (the “Class”)."

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does the faulty torque converter cause damage to the rest of the transmission if not repaired and driven for many thousands of miles? I ask because I had my torque converter replaced recently, after the second trans update and a new rear motor mount, which Honda tech line had my dealer perform first. I like free parts so I didn't complain about the new motor mount which wasn't needed. Just concerned about when my powertrain warranty expires..

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had an 03 MDX that had this same problem. The dealer wanted $1800 to fix it. So we drove on it lol. We drove on it for about 4 years and it stayed the same, for the most part. Towards the end it got slightly worse.
I also have an 08 Accord. Same problem on that one too. This one was replaced under warranty and it still has issues when it is cold. Of course every time we get to the dealer it has "mysteriously" fixed itself.

To top everything off, we have an 07 Ody EX-L, that when I bought it had the shuttering problem. I have religiously changed the tranny fluid in it and I haven't had any problems since. For the last 3 Honda's that we have owned to all have a VERY similar problem I call that more than a coinkydink.

Really, they couldn't have engineered the part any better? Or outsourced to a better quality part, demand a higher tolerance part, whatever. It is quite frustrating to invest so much money into a vehicle (Yes! I know vehicles aren't an investment) only to have Honda, or any other manufacturer, give you the finger on a problem with the vehicle that has nothing to do with the owner.

Ah well, feel better now that I got that out of my system, lol.
§

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had a torque converter failure, which resulted in it having to be replaced. brought it to a transmission shop and they said the trans was in bad shape. the clutches were worn out thru the 5 gears, the fluid looked really dark since i last changed it in the summer of 2011 (drain and fill only). had him rebuild it while it was all apart to the tune of 3100$ including the torque converter change. hopefully we get some news soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my van. What I found is that the rear motor mount was bad, check yours, and what I really thick the problem with the vcm system was, the filter thats used for the vcm was almost completely pluged. Fixed those 2 things and the van runs as good as the day it was new. It now has 160,000 miles and runs perfect. Mastertech

1 - 20 of 30 Posts