Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did this on my van (an '02 EX-L) trying to track down a surging/stumbling problem at light throttle.

It's VERY easy. Took me about 45 minutes.

Get 2 cans of Carb Cleaner minimum, 10mm and 12mm sockets, some pliers, good to go.

Remove the plastic engine cover. Undo the thick brake booster vacuum hose at the back of the manifold, pull the clamp back and remove. There's also a sensor (intake air temp probably) at the back to unplug and another smaller vacuum hose.

Next, unbolt the throttle body from the manifold, 2 12mm bolts and 2 12mm nuts. I used a combination of the ratchet and a 12mm combination wrench. Mine came off easy by hand after breaking them free.

Go ahead and remove the rubber intake duct to the throttle body, 10mm on the hose clamp on the TB, you might need to unplug some of the hoses to the duct. Get it out of the way so you can slide the TB off the intake manifold studs.

There is a sensor of some kind at the beginning of the intake manifold just past the TB that's held on with 2 10mm nuts, remove that.

Next, there's a cover plate at the top of the intake manifold with a ton of 10mm bolts and 2 nuts holding it on. Remove those. Remove the plate and carefully remove the gasket and set aside.

Inside the intake manifold you'll see a bunch of 12mm bolts and 2 12mm nuts. Remove those. Take your time on the nuts, it's VERY easy to drop one into the manifold somewhere, use a pickup magnet during removal if you're prone to butterfingers. Carefully lift the intake manifold straight up, double-checking to make sure it's all unplugged.

With the intake manifold off, put a towel or something over the open holes going to the head, easy way to keep crap and wildlife out in the meantime.

The plate on the top of the intake manifold has numerous EGR passages going to an EGR tube for each runner into the engine. My passages were packed with carbon. The holes were caked up but not clogged, down to about 30% of their original size. Scrape the carbon out with a screwdriver or something, then hit it with the carb cleaner. Get it nice and clean, but it doesn't have to be perfect. I do recommend blowing it all off with high-pressure air from an air compressor to make sure you've got all the loose small bits out.

Same goes for the intake manifold, make sure the 6 small passages are clear. Clean and make sure you get all the loose carbon out of the manifold.

Honda says to replace the gaskets during this job. Mine were OK, I did clean up the gasket for the upper plate as it had carbon stuck to it. It is a metal gasket so it's pretty hardy. If you wanted to err on the safe side, get a new throttle body gasket, intake manifold cover gasket, and lower intake manifold gasket.

To re-install, put the manifold back on the car and start all the bolts and nuts, get them all just snug by hand. Honda has a tightening sequence in the shop manual, basically you just want to start from the middle and work your way out. Torque is 17 ft-lbs if you're anal about it. I went ahead and busted out the torque wrench as they're long bolts and stretch a bit.

Same goes for the top cover, reinstall all the bolts and tighten it from the center out, just get it so it's good and flat and torqued evenly. Those are 10mm bolts, they don't need a lot of tightening.

Put the rest back together and go for a test drive. Mine seems better but I'll really know tomorrow. Not sure if this will fix my problem but it definitely wasn't helping things.

As far as differences to the earlier vans, the earlier ones had the one main tube that clogs up with carbon. The newer van does have one main EGR tube but mine was clear and pretty clean.

This weekend I'll likely do the spark plugs and pull the EGR valve itself and see if it needs a cleaning.

Dale

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, nice post and surprised no one has chimed in. Thanks for posting this, I want to perform this service on our 02 Ody EX-L. So if I asked my mechanic (not Honda) to order me "throttle body gasket, intake manifold cover gasket, and lower intake manifold gasket" would this info do it or do I need to be more specific?

Thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should do it. You might not need them, but it's nice to have on hand.

My surging/stumbling is now gone, BTW. Also put new plugs in at the same time, but the old ones were in decent shape. It did it a little after the cleaning then I believe the ECU had to re-learn things.

Dale

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Here is the You Tube Video. Is this what you did?

YouTube - 2002 Honda Odyssey EGR Cleanout

BTW, If your are going to pull the EGR valve, I doubt that you can effectively clean it without a lot of effort. Why not replace it? On line prices are $75 to $95 range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that's it! Didn't see that Youtube video ahead of time.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend pulling the intake manifold off and doing the cleaning off the car. It's VERY simple to do, took me maybe 10 minutes to remove it. I don't like hunks of carbon falling into the engine, it doesn't take much to cause problems. Also, it's possible as you're working and cleaning something else could drop into the intake manifold that you don't know about.

It's also worth cleaning with plenty of carb cleaner, that can get into and puddle in the combustion chamber and could hydrolock a chamber.

I'd ALMOST do it on the car if it was a royal bitch to remove the intake manifold, but it's SO easy. A few vacuum lines, a bunch of 12mm bolts, unbolt the throttle body and leave it in the car, and there ya go.

Dale

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info, great write-up!
I have an '02 EX w/130,000 miles. For the last couple months I have been experiencing engine surging between about 1500 RPM to around 2000 RPM, mostly when driving around town @ 25 - 35 MPH. No CEL. Been driving around town in D3 to eliminate trans shifting as a suspect. (it wasn't tranny)
The local Honda dealership had done the EGR port cleaning several months ago, and at the time I really didn't understand what this was about.
I checked the TPS with an ohmmeter and found that to be bad in the area of light throttle application. Thanks to many of you folks, I ordered a replacement TPS online and replaced it this morning. $49.00 shipped from Import Auto Performance. (replacement required a dremel to cut a groove into the top of the screws to remove them.)
Road testing showed better throttle response, but the wandering RPM was still there.
Removed intake and trottle body. Nothing in the intake was clogged, but it wasn't as clean as I would have made it. The throttle body was quite filthy, though. A thorough cleaning of all parts, used 6 cans of carb cleaner, let dry and reassembled.
Test drive resulted in a nice smooth engine RPM at 30 MPH, which is where the problem was worst. There is still a small amount of tach wandering around 25 MPH, but nothing you would feel, unlike before.
I'm gonna leave it for a week or two and let the ECM relearn the new/clean parts. I'm feeling pretty confident this is a done deal!
Thanks again for the time and help of all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update:
Haven't had a weekend free to work on the Ody since the 4th.
So, the surging at low RPM continued...Borrowed a code reader from a co-worker. It showed me nothing useful.
Brought van to a different Honda dealership for diagnosis.
They found the Power Steering switch wire not broken, but the insulation was damaged and the wire was intermittently shorting to ground. They wrapped it in tape for me.
I wrote them a $54 check and headed back to work. Problem gone.
I couldn't believe he PS switch would cause such an occasionally drastic change in RPM.
I'm also surprised it only seemed to effect the engine at lower RPMs, <2000 rpm.
Next project, timing belt change.
Thanks to all for all the info in these pages!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any one has pictures of this process? I like video but that shows after you open and reach to the manifold. What about changing EGR valve? No need to change valve? Where is located?

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Start with this before your change the EGR valve. But, the EGR valve is SUPER easy to change, 2 12mm and one electrical connector.

On my '02, it's to the left of the battery in front of the engine. It's a big canister looking thing.

If you've ever turned a wrench before, pulling the upper intake to do the EGR cleaning will be no challenge at all.

Dale

·
Registered
22 Posts
Performed intake clean out and replaced EGR and plugs today

Dale, great post. My '03 has been stuttering and shaking from 45-75 mph under light to moderate acceleration. I can make it go away either by coasting or stomping the gas, otherwise, it shakes continuously on the highway.

I took off the intake and cleaned it out today following your instructions. Used 4 cans of carb cleaner! Replaced the upper intake gasket and throttle body gasket. Also replaced the EGR valve and gasket, and spark plugs. My van had Denso plugs, so I think they were replaced previously. I put in new NGK plugs.

I did not spray carb cleaner down on top of the valves, nor down the EGR tube on the motor, only sprayed and cleaned the removed intake and parts removed from the van.

Did your vibration completely disappear? How long did it take your ECM to reprogram? On my road test tonight I still experienced light stuttering. It was a lot better but not completely gone. I poured Lucas fuel cleaner in the gas tank after this to see if it would help. I'm hoping the stuttering disappears soon after the ECM reprograms????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fixed now

I've solved my van's stuttering problem after cleaning out the intake. I removed the upper intake cover, and I had installed the gasket incorrectly. The gasket was upside down and blocking the newly cleaned EGR ports. Turned it around and the van runs great now!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep, that's it! Didn't see that Youtube video ahead of time.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend pulling the intake manifold off and doing the cleaning off the car. It's VERY simple to do, took me maybe 10 minutes to remove it. I don't like hunks of carbon falling into the engine, it doesn't take much to cause problems. Also, it's possible as you're working and cleaning something else could drop into the intake manifold that you don't know about.

It's also worth cleaning with plenty of carb cleaner, that can get into and puddle in the combustion chamber and could hydrolock a chamber.

I'd ALMOST do it on the car if it was a royal bitch to remove the intake manifold, but it's SO easy. A few vacuum lines, a bunch of 12mm bolts, unbolt the throttle body and leave it in the car, and there ya go.

Dale
I might have to try this tomorrow. Today I popped off the cover and cleaned out the intake but now its hesitating. I wanted to plan ahead by having the new throttle body gasket, intake manifold cover gasket, and lower intake manifold gasket available but when I called the auto parts store they asked me what type of engine I had. They said it starts with a J and will have either a 4 or 5 in it. Anyone know where I can find the correct number? Also, EGR valve appears to have some junk that seeped out of it. Should I clean it or replace it? I am assuming if I pop it off I also need to replace the EGR gasket too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Update: I figured out that I have a J35A4 engine and its an EX-L model 2002 Odyssey.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update:
Haven't had a weekend free to work on the Ody since the 4th.
So, the surging at low RPM continued...Borrowed a code reader from a co-worker. It showed me nothing useful.
Brought van to a different Honda dealership for diagnosis.
They found the Power Steering switch wire not broken, but the insulation was damaged and the wire was intermittently shorting to ground. They wrapped it in tape for me.
I wrote them a $54 check and headed back to work. Problem gone.
I couldn't believe he PS switch would cause such an occasionally drastic change in RPM.
I'm also surprised it only seemed to effect the engine at lower RPMs, <2000 rpm.
Next project, timing belt change.
Thanks to all for all the info in these pages!
I have same problem with my '02 Ody. only 71k. Do you know where the Power Steering switch is? I can check that out before going full blown EGR cleaning. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have same problem with my '02 Ody. only 71k. Do you know where the Power Steering switch is? I can check that out before going full blown EGR cleaning. Thanks.
If you trace the line leading from the pump toward the firewall, the PS pressure switch is right at were the rubber hose meets the metal line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you trace the line leading from the pump toward the firewall, the PS pressure switch is right at were the rubber hose meets the metal line.
Bruce, Thanks for the information, but I have hard time understanding 'pump' you mentioned. Please bear with my knowledge of terminology. Should I assume you are talking about power steering pump? And that one of the tube (not wire) goes towards wall and switch is located under the hood by the location you mentioned. Please correct and may add more words to your description. Thanks again.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bruce, Thanks for the information, but I have hard time understanding 'pump' you mentioned. Please bear with my knowledge of terminology. Should I assume you are talking about power steering pump? And that one of the tube (not wire) goes towards wall and switch is located under the hood by the location you mentioned. Please correct and may add more words to your description. Thanks again.
Please forgive my carelessness. Your assumption is correct. Please post back for the result of your investigation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have read a post on here talking about the power steering switch causing loss of power but now I can't find it. Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Matzoh....I mean, Motsyball (all my Yiddish friends in Los Angeles would find your screen name quite entertaining, in a good way) ;)

Here's that link:

Power Steering Wire

Right now, I've got 3 cans of carb cleaner, 3 manifold gaskets (top & bottoms), all of the timing belt stuff (tensioners & idler, gaskets, water pump, belts), coolant, Mobil 1 5W30, AmSOil ATF, gaskets for cleaning out the ATF screens under the solenoid-operated valves, plus other items ad absurdum for our 2002 EX...and on the initial "crawl under and check things", I found that same PS sensor wiring is broken! Looks like I'll be using the same link for the fix.

OF

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great info. My 04 EXL has a stutter at light "coasting throttle" around 1500RPM. I have new plugs on my workbench and I think the manifold cleaning is going to happen at the same time. Looking at the engine, it looks like it might be easier to change the plugs with the manifold off anyhow, for a little more working room.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts