Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
There are many threads about washing car but couldn’t find much info on how to clean the pollen that has settled on the car and specifically inside the pillars, door panels. My van has huge amount of yellow pollen dust that had settled In the past few weeks. Rain has washed some on the body but door panels and pillars have a lot.

The car is not kept in garage. should I just use car wash soap and microfiber cloth? If I leave it for long time, does it become hard on the pillar paint surface? Any expert opinion and advice that I can use?

·
Registered
577 Posts
A lot of pines in my neighborhood so I also have to deal with the annual pollen drop! I try to keep up with it but sometimes go a week before cleaning it. I am not aware of an easy way to remove built up pollen so just be patient and keep working at it. My approach is to use car wash soap/water with a soft brush. Or if I have the pressure washer out for other projects I start with that, finishing with the brush in pillars and other places where I can't spray.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did wash with soap and it looked better. However drain areas had lot of deposit and looks like it would go only with pressure wash. Staying in apartment does not provide an option for this so has to live with it for now. Next day itself lot more deposit was seen. An ongoing process of wash - deposit - wash as it appears.

Also the engine bay went from cleanest to dirtiest in couple of months, especially with pollen deposits. Any suggestion how to clean the engine bay? I read somewhere that water should not be used - if so what options exist?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I did wash with soap and it looked better. However drain areas had lot of deposit and looks like it would go only with pressure wash. Staying in apartment does not provide an option for this so has to live with it for now. Next day itself lot more deposit was seen. An ongoing process of wash - deposit - wash as it appears.

Also the engine bay went from cleanest to dirtiest in couple of months, especially with pollen deposits. Any suggestion how to clean the engine bay? I read somewhere that water should not be used - if so what options exist?
Wash, wait, wash again... Can't think of anything more effective than that!

For the engine bay, others use water but I have never gone that route. I remove the engine cover and wash that with water but all other parts are done on the car with Krud Kutter spray bottle along with a brush and rag. It's not easy/fast but it works well. After you get it clean, a quick wipe every few months is sufficient to maintain cleanliness unless you live in a dust area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks rmyoder. Is it same as 'Krud Kutter original concentrate/cleaner degreaser stain remover non-toxic boidegradable' available in Home Depot for about $6 for 32 oz? I read somewhere in the forum about Kano Floway degreaser as well - will research more now.

BTW how do you reach the deepest part of the engine bay? Also how to reach places in the bay where the hand cannot go due to tight spacing? Or just use the spray on top portion of the bay and wipe it clean?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes that is the Krud Kutter I am referring to. Strange that they don't offer 50% concentration in spray bottles, given that 50 dilution is more useful than full strength. I usually buy gallons and mix at 50% in my own bottles.

Regarding engine bay cleaning, I can get to most visible areas and under the upper components with a 16" bottle brush. Just remove the air duct, engine cover, etc and spray with KK, then brush it. Follow with a rag and/or air compressor to clear it away. Admittedly, I only clean the really deep areas when I am moving components for repairs. After all, this is a daily driver, not a show car!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
A quick spray of your favorite cleaner and a spray from the hose is all you need to do. A quick scrub if some area is especially dirty will help. Everything in the engine bay (in modern cars) can get wet with no issues. Avoid spraying directly in/on the alternator, but otherwise, things are safe. I wouldn't suggest a pressure washer unless you know what you are doing (but I have done it to very dirty/neglected engine bays). I only clean my engines once every few years, but I (generally) don't drive in dusty/dirty conditions.

The 'don't use water in your engine bay' advice comes from the day of carburetors and distributors - both of which are very sensitive to water. Modern alternators are much better with water too.

-Charlie

·
Registered
577 Posts
As @phattyduck said, any cleaner will work. Some people like simple green but 50% KK is my go-to because it is safe for upholstery and carpets (I use it throughout the house and cars). I don't know how good simple green is for those purposes but it may also be suitable. I don't use Super Clean because it is much harsher and removes paint from some surfaces such as toilet seats (ask me how I know this!) Also, @phattyduck is correct that water is fine for most parts of modern engine bays. I haven't needed to blast/rinse my entire bay so never went this route. Just a simple brush approach has worked well for the past 8 years.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
I personally use Simple Green, but you do have to be aware of the risks of it and similar cleaners (purple power, etc.) - they shouldn't be left on aluminum for long periods of time because it can etch/damage the surface of aluminum. Otherwise, it is plenty safe to use.

-Charlie

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hi,
There are many threads about washing car but couldn’t find much info on how to clean the pollen that has settled on the car and specifically inside the pillars, door panels. My van has huge amount of yellow pollen dust that had settled In the past few weeks. Rain has washed some on the body but door panels and pillars have a lot.

The car is not kept in garage. should I just use car wash soap and microfiber cloth? If I leave it for long time, does it become hard on the pillar paint surface? Any expert opinion and advice that I can use?
Yes just do that. Use a brush or microfiber. Treat it like paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts