Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone let me know how I can tell whether my vehicle has a clear coat on it? Did Honda put a clear coat on the Ody at the factory? Thanks.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Almost all modern production vehicles have been painted with a base coat (color) and clearcoat (clear).

Use only products that say "clearcoat safe", otherwise you could ruin the paint. The clearcoat is thinner than a sheet of paper, but pretty durable. That is, until you scratch through it with an abrasive cleaner, polish, or wax.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Jim. However, I called a Honda dealer to ask them about my new oddy and I was told that there is no clear coat on my oddy and that's why the dealer offer the clear coat package ($400 something for that package offered at time of purchase). Is this clear coat packaged offered by the dealer the addition coat on top of the coat at the factory? I am asking this, because I want to know what Zaino polish products to buy. They have 2 kinds, one for clear coat and one for others. Thanks.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would steer clear of that dealer, newbie! He's just trying to pad his profit margin at your expense. Your Ody *does* have a factory-applied clear coat finish over the color; the dealer can't improve upon it. (Call any reputable body/paint shop in your area and ask them about it - they'll confirm that all late model vehicles have a clear coat over the color.) Get the Zaino polish for clearcoat finishes (Z2) and go for it! And take a big whiff of the stuff for me.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OddyNewbie:
I am asking this, because I want to know what Zaino polish products to buy. They have 2 kinds, one for clear coat and one for others. Thanks.
</font>
Buy ONLY "clear coat safe" products for your Odyssey.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts