Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the general discussion as well, so forgive the duplication...

We have a SS EX Ody due in this week- A friend of mine out of state picked up one this weekend. When she got there, the dealer told her that there was no extra coating on her Ody, like there had been on her Accord. So they paid the $500 (I think), left for 3 hours and then came back to pick it up...
Anyone else have this happen to them? I've been lurking, but I've yet to see this situation... I just want to be prepared in case the dealer says the same thing to us...

------------------
Jen

02 SS EX to be arriving soon!

98 Saturn L (good car, but TOO small!)

00 Acura TL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Clear coat is applied at the factory, end of story.

What, exactly, was it that your friend had put on? I've heard of "Auto Armor" where you get periodic wax jobs for about 2 or 3 years (still a scam, IMO).

Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your friend got snowed. Sgergen is right that the clear-coat is part of the factory paint process.

The dealer might offer a paint protectant package or something of the like, but it is not necessary, especially if you plan on cleaning and waxing your vehicle regularly.

------------------
02 SS EX-L-RES
97 Maxima SE 5-Spd
99 Z-71 Silverado
91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (14,000 RPM redline baby)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think all of the dealer-added paint and fabric protectants are all "snake oil" scam jobs. After all, if there were some kind of $500 super wax out there, why can't you buy it at your local auto parts store?

Think about it; if there's a manufacturer who makes this super-protector, don't you think they'd sell it at auto parts stores? 3M sells cans of ScotchGuard that you can buy, so why doesn't the manufacturer of the $1,000 seat protectant sell their product only to car dealers?

Often, the dealers tell you that the protectants are backed up by warranties, but paying $1,500 to warranty your seat fabric and paint for a few years is incredibly expensive; by comparison, you can buy a bumper-to-bumper, 7 year HondaCare warranty for less than $1,000.

But, boy, some of those salespeople are awfully good at selling those protectants, you've gotta admit, they really are good at it. You'd think that somebody with such a talent could find a useful vocation, but some people are just born to sell snake oil.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It depends on the circumstances. The "paint protection", as you say, really is just a warranty. But you can probably guy good warranties with good terms, and not have to worry about even surface rust for the life of the car.

For those who want to keep their car a long time, it may be worth it.

You mention Hondacare; that's not for rust.

Anyway, that all being said, my experience with my 92 Civic is that they've gotten the whole steel body thing right. No need for any extra anything anymore like there might have been in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the friend that Blairsmom is talking about. I posted a reply yesterday but it got booted due to the server prob (I guess). Anyway, the accessories sales rep (guess that's who she was) told us that the factory use to put a special coating on the vehicles before they left. We have an Accord (99) and assumed that she was talking about the clear coat. Said that is why there is plastic coating on the cars in the lot. Also told us that 98% of vehicles that are sold on their lot get the coating put on -- again making us believe that it was the clear coat. We were also in a rush to get the Ody (waited 7 mos) since we have a fussy 10 month old. It was the "Auto Armor" they put on it. Hard to belive that 98% of cars that leave there get the Auto Armor put on them! Well, I read all the posts here and told the hubby about it -- he was VERY ticked. Called dealership, stated we were misled. He told me he got no runaround and they will send us a check for $500 today. They must have had similiar complaints. Just thought I'd let you know if was resolved.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my opininion, it's not dead.

I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership with the salesperson, the "accessories person", the regional manager for Honda and Honda corporate copied.

If they pulled this on you, they'll pull it again. Most people won't stand up for themselves (like you did).

Do your part to get this process stopped!

Scott

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scott,

Hadn't really thought of that. But you are right...guess since I know they have questionable sales practices, I should do what I can to save others this heartache. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At a minimum, make sure that the phone survey that you'll receive accurately reflects this deceptive practice.

That hits them in the pocketbook, sometimes that is what it takes for them to pay attention.

Good luck and thanks in advance for writing those letters!

Scott

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES

1 - 9 of 9 Posts