Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 that has started making a clicking electrical sounding noise under and to the right of the steering wheel in the dash area. The sound continues even when I turn off the air. One time it continued after I had turned the van off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same problem

I have a similar noise. It sounds like something moving and hunting for position. If I turn the temp control all the way to cold or all the way to hot it stops. It seems to do it in the middle of the temp range. Doesn't matter if A/C is on or off.

Love this website and my new 1999 Ody. :DD

·
Registered
54 Posts
Accidentally found/fixed the noise. I greased the cable for the heater valve where it comes through the firewall and the noise stopped. Found a thread here that briefly mentioned greasing the cable as routine and decided it couldn't hurt.

I ran the knob all the way hot and rubbed a little grease on the cable and turned the knob cold to hot a few times and low and behold, much quieter.

My guess is that the little motor that runs the cable was struggling with the sticky cable and chattering.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Accidentally found/fixed the noise. I greased the cable for the heater valve where it comes through the firewall and the noise stopped. Found a thread here that briefly mentioned greasing the cable as routine and decided it couldn't hurt.

I ran the knob all the way hot and rubbed a little grease on the cable and turned the knob cold to hot a few times and low and behold, much quieter.

My guess is that the little motor that runs the cable was struggling with the sticky cable and chattering.
Nice fix. Is this cable accessible from underneath the dash?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice fix. Is this cable accessible from underneath the dash?
The area I greased was under the hood. Behind the engine. If you lean over the engine you can see the cable where it comes through the firewall and operates a valve on a hose. Turn the heat knob all the way to hot to extend the cable all the way out and put a small amount of grease on the cable and rub in with your fingers. Don't overdo the grease, a little dab will do ya. :DD

Definitely made the control work smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. Greasing the cable didn't seem to help. I crawled under the dash and can see where the little motor thats attached to the cable gets stuck in mid temperature setting (68-74). When it does, it looks confused and the mechanical pulley under there just jerks back and forth, like its not sure if it wants to go forward or back. Anyone who comes across this post ever seen this before? Whats the fix?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have what sounds to be a similar issue as well, will look today and see what I can find.

sounds like popcorn is being made in the dash.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If you do a search in this forum, I believe you will find a thread about that noise and relates to the temp control unit that the cable is attached to under the dash. Something about removing that unit, cleaning the contacts and regreasing it. Mine does the same thing and I will be doing it within the next couple of weeks.
Buffalo4
PS:Sounds like the unit is 'hunting' for the right position.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's exactly what it is...
I had the same problem in a 2001..
went to a junk yard pulled the unit..
$5 later, peace and quiet returned.

I tried to open my old unit in an attempt to grease/clean
the wheel but I had no luck splitting the unit in half..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Our 2007 Odyssey has ~14k miles remaining on the extended warranty, so I stopped by the dealer to have them resolve the issue.

The dealer replaced the part, HONDA MOTOR ASSY., TEMPERATURE DRIVER (79160-SHJ-A41).

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you do a search in this forum, I believe you will find a thread about that noise and relates to the temp control unit that the cable is attached to under the dash. Something about removing that unit, cleaning the contacts and regreasing it. Mine does the same thing and I will be doing it within the next couple of weeks.
Buffalo4
PS:Sounds like the unit is 'hunting' for the right position.
Buffalo, thanks for alerting me to the existence of that thread. Here's a link to it for posterity. Page 5 has good instructions. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/46646-hot-air-driver-side-vents-cold-passenger-side.html

Ditch

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks for searching and finding and posting that link location. :cheers:
Buffalo4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts