Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 06 EL has a loud clicking sound from right rear quarter panel when key inserted and the vehical powered up (starter not engaged). The sound is coming from under the right side wall plastic panel, aft of the third row seat. It clicks for 15 to 20 seconds and then stops. The electric passenger door opens and closes fine. I searched the forum for a sound from this location, but came up empty handed. Any thoughts?:huh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd guess its some sort of air door plastic gear problem. When you say right side, do you mean the passenger side?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just checked the shop manual, that does seem to be the location of the blower and mode control motor. Try changing the mode from vent (arrows at the head) back to heat (arrows at the feet) and see if it will do it then. I'm guessing that when you start the van its going through the modes and causing the clicking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the shop manual, that does seem to be the location of the blower and mode control motor. Try changing the mode from vent (arrows at the head) back to heat (arrows at the feet) and see if it will do it then. I'm guessing that when you start the van its going through the modes and causing the clicking.
Sounds feasible. I did try cycling through the modes, not difference, but it did click for much longer this time. Over the weekend I will pull the plastic panel and see what's going on. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a full size truck that did something similar under the dash. It drove me batspit crazy. I ended up unhooking the motor that was responsible for changing the air intake source. It was stuck on fresh air, would not recirc after that, and that was ok with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would make the clicking sound for over 30 seconds every time the key was inserted in the ignition. It ended up being a motor controller for the a/c. The local Honda dealership troubleshot and replaced it for $250 (parts and labor). Let me know if you want the part number, I can get the repair ticket out of the glove box tomorrow. The wife was very glad I got it fixed, the sound was driving her nuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the exact same problem in my 2006 EX-L; by using the rear A/C controls and switching modes back and forth - from cold-to-hot, vent modes, etc - the clicking went away. It came back about 6 months later but the same procedure worked again. Appears that replacing the A/C motor in the passenger side rear quarter panel solves the problem entirely - but it stumped my local dealer's mechanics with the usual refrain, "We've never heard that before..."
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would make the clicking sound for over 30 seconds every time the key was inserted in the ignition. It ended up being a motor controller for the a/c. The local Honda dealership troubleshot and replaced it for $250 (parts and labor). Let me know if you want the part number, I can get the repair ticket out of the glove box tomorrow. The wife was very glad I got it fixed, the sound was driving her nuts.
Yes, please post if you could.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would really appreciate the part number also as my 2007 Odyssey has been making this same knocking noise for the past few months. Just lasts 30 seconds but it sure has been a mystery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noise Fixed

I know that this is a very old thread but I had the same problem a few months ago and none of the posts on this forum had the answer.

Symptoms: Each time I switched on the car, I would hear a clicking noise from the passenger rear quarter panel that would last about 15-30 seconds.

Solution: I removed the rear quarter panel and started the car to see the rear mode door motor broken causing the clicking noise (picture #1 below). The rear mode motor is responsible for switching the AC modes from head to feet to bi-level when using the rear ac controls. The mode door motor is made up of a square shaped black box (motor and gears inside) and a white plastic arm. In my case I could see that when the car was started the white plastic arm was trying to move but was stuck. After removing the 2 mounting screws and unplugging the green power cable, the white arm completely fell from the motor assembly.

picture #1
20150328_115107_resized.jpg

Picture #2 - The white arm should be attached to the black box
20150411_191348_resized.jpg

Option 1 - If you want the clicking noise to stop and don't care about having automated control over rear ac direction, you can remove the mode door motor and just use tape to hold the switching arm in the up position (This directs the rear ac to the head vents).

Option 2 - Replacement part - Finding the replacement part was difficult as it is a dealer only part and no one wanted to tell me the part number. Here is the part number for my 2006 Honda EX. 79240-SHJ-A01. It is part #9 in the diagram. I was able to get the part for $100 which was the cheapest. Please be sure to use this website and find the exact part number. When searching I found a few others that were similar but not the right part for much cheaper.

2006ModeMotorAssy.jpg

Replacement of the part is easy. Once you receive the new part do not use your hand to move the plastic arm attached to the new mode door motor. Instead, remove the old mode motor and insert the new part by adjusting the other end (the part that you did not remove) till the notch in the arms are aligned when the new model door motor is aligned in its correct mounting position.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know that this is a very old thread but I had the same problem a few months ago and none of the posts on this forum had the answer.

Symptoms: Each time I switched on the car, I would hear a clicking noise from the passenger rear quarter panel that would last about 15-30 seconds.

Solution: I removed the rear quarter panel and started the car to see the rear mode door motor broken causing the clicking noise (picture #1 below). The rear mode motor is responsible for switching the AC modes from head to feet to bi-level when using the rear ac controls. The mode door motor is made up of a square shaped black box (motor and gears inside) and a white plastic arm. In my case I could see that when the car was started the white plastic arm was trying to move but was stuck. After removing the 2 mounting screws and unplugging the green power cable, the white arm completely fell from the motor assembly.

picture #1
View attachment 60641

Picture #2 - The white arm should be attached to the black box
View attachment 60649

Option 1 - If you want the clicking noise to stop and don't care about having automated control over rear ac direction, you can remove the mode door motor and just use tape to hold the switching arm in the up position (This directs the rear ac to the head vents).

Option 2 - Replacement part - Finding the replacement part was difficult as it is a dealer only part and no one wanted to tell me the part number. Here is the part number for my 2006 Honda EX. 79240-SHJ-A01. It is part #9 in the diagram. I was able to get the part for $100 which was the cheapest. Please be sure to use this website and find the exact part number. When searching I found a few others that were similar but not the right part for much cheaper.

View attachment 60633

Replacement of the part is easy. Once you receive the new part do not use your hand to move the plastic arm attached to the new mode door motor. Instead, remove the old mode motor and insert the new part by adjusting the other end (the part that you did not remove) till the notch in the arms are aligned when the new model door motor is aligned in its correct mounting position.

Hope this helps.
This is great info. I have the same issue in my 2007. A local shop quoted $257 to fix it. I may attempt it myself based on your post. How hard is it to get at this section of the rear? Are the panels hard to remove?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just finished doing this repair on my 05, took all of 20 minutes, most of it was doing it slow so as not to drop the screw. You do not have to remove the entire rear panel, just pull out enough from the rear to get your hands in to remove the two screws holding the motor on. I used a ratcheting short screwdriver. Unplug the connector on the bottom side, take 1 screw that you can see and the other on the other side of the motor. When putting the new one on, make sure the pin goes into the slot on the slider and replace the screws. Done... I paid $109 for the motor, just do a search using the PN in the post above.

The reason for the noise was the motor was seized up so it just kept trying to get the slider into the right position. The white arm on my part was not broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Switching Modes Worked

After reading this post, I turned off all A/C controls, restarted the A/C and synced front and rear.
The clicking went away. Thank You for the post.

Honda Ody 2006 EX-L

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Once it starts making noise, it will only get worse. It will start ticking every time you start and will clock for about 10 - 20 seconds. I got tired of the clicking after a couple of weeks and got the new motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is great info. I have the same issue in my 2007. A local shop quoted $257 to fix it. I may attempt it myself based on your post. How hard is it to get at this section of the rear? Are the panels hard to remove?
None of the links in the pictures are there anymore. Is it possible to re-post those? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished this repair myself. It really is a 20 minute job. The panel is pretty easy to pry open using a broad plastic prying tool after first removing the screw that has the knob on it. The part is accessible enough without completely removing the panel. And I followed all the other details, i.e., move the white arm in the van to align with position of the new motor, do not move the arm of the new motor. It attached with two screws, very simple. The clicking sound is gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts