Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share this.
My climate control mode selector would not redirect the air flow to any of the other settings. Seemed to be stuck on the floor vent. I ran the diagnostic on the climate control panel and had a fault recorded. If you’re familiar with this test, with the key in the on position, it involves pressing the auto button and holding it and then pressing the off button. If there is a fault a flashing "88" will show up with a line segment that make up the 88 highlighted. This segment corresponds to a fault menu in the manual. In my case, my fault corresponded to item L in the manual for if remember correctly a short in the mode control motor. Of course the manual has a whole break down on trouble shooting the issue to check continuity and voltages from the connector and such. I decided to give the motor a look see before I started that route. The mode control motor is on the left side of the air handling unit, accessible from the driver’s foot well. It’s not too bad for access. While looking at it, I was able to press the mode selector button to see if it was moving the actuator arms. No movement or noise. Decided to tap on the motor and push the arms lightly to see if it was just hung up or not. Lo and behold it started working as advertised. It was just hung up from dirt dust and time. I removed the electrical connector and removed the clips for the arms and pulled the motor out (2 Phillips screws) and give it a good look see. Opened the motor (careful people, the clips are very delicate) and applied some light white lithium grease to the internal plastic gears and reassembled. I also looked at the tracks on the air handler that are moved by this motor. Cleaned and lightly relubed them as well and put the whole thing back together. Works like a dream.
In closing, my opening the motor was an over kill on this as the dirty tracks were the problem. Just might want to add this to your list of things to check once in a while to keep you van working as advertised problem free.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i would if i had them. sorry about that.. there are some good pics in the manual though. i just priced a replacement mode motor from Majestic honda $187.00,, dang!!
i will add this though, the clips that connect the actuator arms from the motor to the tracks can be very delicate as well. i removed them with a screw driver by pressing the shank of the screw driver against the open end of the clip and pressing it off the actuator arms..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Broke down and went Honda service department for my 2003, only to be told it would be a $100 for a diagnostic before driving away. I had posted twice on the problem I was having with no replies, the biggest help was finally finding out the name of part without the service manual "Mode control Motor" then I finally stumbled onto your post. Pressing on the main actuator on the motor while changing the mode did the trick, all I had to do was loosen one of the Mode control motor mounting screws by one turn fix the problem for now. All modes are finally working freely since purchasing my van in May. Thanks for your post definitely saved me $300 plus between parts/labor and diagnostic costs and everything is running like a champ.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad to help.
there is another post somewhere on here where they did the exact same thing i did and took pictures. if i can find it i will try to post a link. basically, the motor found a dead spot and the years of dirt build up caused it to stop moving. just bumping the arms now is enough but a cleaning and re greasing with white lithium will keep it moving alot longer.. im still operational to this day

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any diagram or picture of mode control motor? The description "The mode control motor is on the left side of the air handling unit, accessible from the driver’s foot well" is a bit vague, and I do not know if it applies to the 2005 EXL.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Reading post #1, it appears that motor is on the driver's side.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did the tap to my Ody 04 and yes it is working. Now I need to take it out and clean it. Big savings of 200. To 400. Thanks labattsipa.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still say this particular forum is the best i have ever been apart of,,, lots of expertise, gee whiz stuff and funny people ,,yeah, there is alot of advertising, but ya gotta pay the piper ya know,, everyone helps everyone and it helps to save a buck or two and learn a thing or two in the process

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope there's still folks interested in this thread. I have an 07. Mode stuck on blowing in your face so I investigated and found the actuator that changes between the modes wasn't working while the heat mixing actuators are working. I took it to a mechanic to troubleshoot down to component and they agreed with me the actuator was the problem. I bought the $150 actuator and that's not the problem. I was hoping they would have tested the connectors and wires but who knows. Any suggestions (along with taking back to my mechanic) you can suggest?

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
When you had the actuator off did you try moving the mode door manually? Are you sure it's not broken inside or jammed up?

Reactions: labattsipa

·
Registered
4 Posts
same problem, i'm too old to get up there but you can see it easily, i unplugged it and wiggled the white giant selector dial a few times and it FRICKING WORKS AGAIN!!! Thank you OP! owe you some beers!!!
More than happy to snap pictures if anyone wants.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all this time, and it still works,, just clean the linkage and bump the arms

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
screws were easy. did not remove any kick panels,,04 model,,the trick was the clips that connect the linkage. older car, plastic. they have a habit of being very brittle, so exercise caution when taking them off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts