Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
First, do not play the game the way they want to play it. You might want call the dealer and ask for their internet department. If they do, you can often negotiate the price over the phone and not have to worry about a salesperson trying to get a higher commission.

You need to know exactly what vehicle you want and how much you should pay for it. Do your homework before you walk in the door and you set the tone. Never, ever, ask the dealer for their best price. This is a very common mistake. The dealer has absolutely no incentive to give you their best price especially on your first attempt to get the lowest price. Tell them exactly which vehicle you want and how much you want to pay for it. Let them know you are there to buy a car and you do not have any time to waste.

It should not take more than 5 or 10 minutes to buy the vehicle. First ask if the salesperson can accept an offer on the vehicle. If they say no than ask to speak with the person that can negotiate. Do not play the game where they go back and forth with a manager in a back room somewhere. It is up to you to set the tone and lead the discussion. It is very important that they know they cannot yank your chain. Be strong and direct and you will be surprised how much fun you can have. I thoroughly enjoy the process but it took some time to get that comfortable dealing with these guys.

Negotiate the price of the car only and save everything else for later. Hopefully, if you are financing, you have already checked rates at your local bank or credit union. This is something else you should be prepared for before you walk in the door.

On a separate note if you really need to buy an extended warranty than you may be buying more vehicle than you can afford. The vast majority of problems will be discovered early and the real winners when you buy an extended warranty are Honda and the dealers selling them. Put all the money you would spend on extended warranties in an account for repairs and by the time you retire you will a nice chunk of change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was thinking that given these darned vehicles are getting more and more complex that perhaps an extended warranty would be worth the investment. Especially if I plan to keep it for 8-10 years or so (current 2000 Odyssey has 160k miles). I don't know how representative posters here are the larger car buying community but I get the impression that many (most?) do buy some form of extended warranty. I'll be doing some more searches here to get some more insight into the various lines of thought.

Thanks much for the input!
Vehicles are getting more complicated and repairs, when needed, can be more expensive to fix, but the likelihood of needing a repair has declined as each year quality improves. Odds are you will not need it but many people buy them because they can not afford to take a hit. There are a lot of people that stretch their budget to buy a new car. Over a lifetime if you can afford an occasional problem you will be better off not buying them.

It sounds like you have already done a lot of research, good job. The better prepared you are and the more knowledge and confidence you display the less likely they will try to run you through the ringer.

Good luck on your purchase!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.