Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Labor Day was laborious for me. I had a warranty replacement left side Trakmotive axle to install. That took care of the "clunk" when shifting into D & R. The right side axle was pulled out far enough to install a new seal which started to leak.

While I was "in there" I pulled both strut assemblies to grease the KYB strut bearings with Honda Shin-Estu silicone grease. This fixed the "boing" .....so far. I removed the top off the right bearing (plastic) and it was coming apart as I spread some of Honda's white grease on it.. This blue fiction surface broke loose from it's outer and inner sides. It is covered and contained by a white cover with sides so I was not worried about continuing to use this one. The left side bearing was not breaking apart like this one.
I had been in contact with the KYB factory last week about coil binding (boing) and if they were greased at the factory. They felt they apply enough grease...... not!

I recommend the OEM strut bearing because of what I've experienced with the plastic model after only 14,000 miles of use. I use KYB shocks/struts in 3 vehicles and will continue to purchase in the future.

My fault for not "lathering" up the bearings (some type of plastic) to prevent "coil bind" in the first place.... or just reuse the OEM strut bearings I tossed out next time.

Wheel Tire Wood Automotive tire Finger

Newspaper Wood Finger Tire Electrical wiring

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
My fault for not "lathering" up the bearings (some type of plastic) to prevent "coil bind" in the first place.... or just reuse the OEM strut bearings I tossed out next time.
I'm going off of old memory here, but I once disassembled a KYB strut bearing years ago just to see "how it was built" before installing it.

The KYB bearing definitely used ball bearings slathered in what looked like lithium grease. Not plastic-on-plastic, but a complete ring of real ball bearings held captive by the top and bottom races when assembled and installed.

Your pics do not look like a real KYB strut bearing.

OF

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Good Lord. "Slippery plastic on slippery plastic with lube" as a rotating axial bearing instead of real ball bearings. I'm curious to see what the ones you threw out looked like.

OF

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good Lord. "Slippery plastic on slippery plastic with lube" as a rotating axial bearing instead of real ball bearings. I'm curious to see what the ones you threw out looked like.

OF
The ones tossed last fall were OEM real ball bearings. I figured a company like KYB would know what they are doing! ;)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
this is an interesting thread..

in the next 6 months might be changing out my clunky front struts on the ody being 10 years old.
having the same issue on my acura over speed bumps, get the occasional groan and clunk sound.

if im going with KYB, might opt to keep the top oem mounts and just re-grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts