Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99EX with 128,000 miles which is exhibiting a clunking that comes from the front suspension or front end when it goes over sharp bumps. Gentle bumps don't do it.

It almost sounded like noisy valves in the front struts or loose mounts, but they were replaced this week along with all new mounting plates, bearings and rubber bushings. It's still there - maybe even more pronounced with the stiffer new struts.

The noise seemed to become more prevalent after replacement of the timing belt at 105,000 miles; and someone wondered if it might be a loose subframe or motor mount. However, everything seems to be tight when checked by my independent mechanic who is now really frustrated and curious about what the problem is.

It is definitely in the front somewhere and clatters/clunks when going over speed bumps and the like. It's much more substantial than what I would call a "rattle"; and sounds like something heavy hitting against something else up there.

Any WAG's on this one? TIA for any thoughts you may have. DUTCH

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dutch, you might have a motor mount which is going metal-to-metal when the engine is thrown one way or the other. My DC van had such a problem and, at rest, everything looked perfect. One day I pushed on the engine and heard a "clank", which turned out to be coming from the right mount. Just a thought, since it came up after the engine work. Usually when a problem comes up right after work has been done, it is directly related to that job. Good luck......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Dutch, you might have a motor mount which is going metal-to-metal when the engine is thrown one way or the other. My DC van had such a problem and, at rest, everything looked perfect. One day I pushed on the engine and heard a "clank", which turned out to be coming from the right mount. Just a thought, since it came up after the engine work. Usually when a problem comes up right after work has been done, it is directly related to that job. Good luck......

Jerry O.

</font>
I'll have to look a little closer at that. The right motor mount is one thing that had to be taken loose to replace the timing belt. Thanks for the tip! DUTCH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts