Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a ton of work to our '07 EX lately having decided to hold onto it as a travel vehicle. I just replaced all engine/tranny mounts as well as the struts, sway bar end links, and shocks. The latest issue seems to have developed after I replaced the rear engine mount and rear transmission mount (I did the front and side mounts first). Being a fan of Occam's Razor, I'm inclined to believe that the issue is related to this mount. Here's the symptoms - the clunk is most noticeable when I have the car stationary, parking brake and brake pedal on, going from neutral to drive and giving a little gas. It also happens when going from reverse back to neutral. The sound seems to be coming more from the passenger side.

At first I thought it was related to my new KYB struts, especially considering I had to send the driver's side strut back for a replacement due to an obvious rattling over bumps. But, I don't have the same suspension issue on the passenger side and the fact that it happens with the car stationary makes me think it's an engine or tranny mount issue.

I checked bolt tension on the new struts, links, the top front engine mount bolts, and the two vertical side engine mount bolts. All were fine. I poked around the engine compartment while my wife shifted/gassed the engine to see if there was something obvious.

Here's my theory so far: While I did the front 7 side engine mounts and the front tranny mount myself, I didn't have the time or patience for the others so I had my mechanic handle those. The original rear tranny mount had to be cut out because of a spinning bolt head and the rear engine mount looked like a real PITA. I'm thinking that perhaps the mechanic loosened up the front and/or side mounts and didn't re-tighten all the way because the problem seems to happen when going into drive when those mounts take the load. If that isn't the issue I got nothin'.

Looking for prognostications. Going to take the van back to the mechanic next week. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the jack shaft. My '08 LX does what kinds sounds like the same thing. I rebuilt the front end over a couple of months replacing CV axles first and then suspension components and then the brakes. Clunking sound on passenger side that at first I thought was the CV axel I had installed a few months back needing to be replaced again. Jacked up vehicle with both front wheels hanging and got under passenger side. The CV axle connects to the jack shaft which is what actually connects to the tranny on that side. Mine has a good bit of play in it on both ends. I haven't gotten to it yet, but it appears that the splines/groves are worn enough to make the shaft have to 'catch up' to the tranny and/or the CV axle have to catch up to the jack shaft when the tranny engages the shaft hardest; like from a dead stop. I could reproduce the clunking sound by turning the jack shaft forwards and back with my hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Following up on this with the solution to my problem. As I said above, I always look for the simplest solution first. The clunking noise that I was hearing was clearly coming from the passenger side front. I had just previously replaced all the engine mounts including the passenger side motor mount. My mechanic had just replaced the rear engine mount for me because I just didn't have the time to get to it and it looked like a real pain in the ass. It turns out that that front side mount had gotten loose. The two 17 mm bolts that anchor the mount to the body we're a few turns loose and only getting looser. I know for certain that I torqued these things properly. That means they either came loose on their own or the mechanic had loosened them slightly to get the rear mount in and forgotten to retighten them. Regardless, that was the issue and it is now hopefully fixed. On to the next issue! Thanks all for weighing in. I'm glad it wasn't something more serious.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roger all.

I did both front CV axles this past summer due to boot/grease leakage and some vibe, and discovered a broken spring too! So replaced spring/strut assemblies, and the sway bar end links. Did brakes too since it needed it (rotors, pads, calipers).

A few weeks later, wife complains of a clunking sound, mainly when first applying brake. I discovered the lower bolt for the drivers sway bar end link was loose. I know I torqued it to spec, just like everything else. I had taken my time and checked everything over quite a bit.

I know I still need to do lower control arms/balljoints, but at this point I'm getting to be almost done with fixing this van. If it stays together for another year I'll still declare victory since it'll go over 200K.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Have car put on a lift. With engine running and you in the driver seat, foot on brakes, put car in and out of drive. Mechanic should be able to find clunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts