Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, we got our front brakes (both rotors and pads) changed last year july. right after we went for 200km road trip where the steering vibrates when braking, apparently the brand new rotors were wrapped. so went back to the shop, and they resurfaced it. then we went for 700 km trip that included alot of mountain, nothing bad but then on the day we were coming back this clunking noise started coming from the brakes under medium to light braking, but not under hard braking. went back to the shop, they took the whole braking assembly apart, nothing wrong, they just greased it some and put it back, told me sometimes pebbles get in between the pad and rotor causing this phenomenon. here is the thing, I think this noise comes only under heavy brake use when the brakes get really hot, because afterwards when ever I drove down hills with constant braking, the noise came back...today I was driving really hard, with a ton of hard braking (was in hurry) and voila, it comes back. it feels like its only from the left wheel. What do you guys think the cause could be, low quality brakes? I don't really trust that shop anymore...

·
Registered
252 Posts
If is a single "clunk" after the first hard braking after backing up, it may just be the pads shifting. Pretty common if the pads are not tightly fit on the guides. If it is indeed "clunking" then this may not be it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
ok, we got our front brakes (both rotors and pads) changed last year july. right after we went for 200km road trip where the steering vibrates when braking, apparently the brand new rotors were wrapped. so went back to the shop, and they resurfaced it. then we went for 700 km trip that included alot of mountain, nothing bad but then on the day we were coming back this clunking noise started coming from the brakes under medium to light braking, but not under hard braking. went back to the shop, they took the whole braking assembly apart, nothing wrong, they just greased it some and put it back, told me sometimes pebbles get in between the pad and rotor causing this phenomenon. here is the thing, I think this noise comes only under heavy brake use when the brakes get really hot, because afterwards when ever I drove down hills with constant braking, the noise came back...today I was driving really hard, with a ton of hard braking (was in hurry) and voila, it comes back. it feels like its only from the left wheel. What do you guys think the cause could be, low quality brakes? I don't really trust that shop anymore...
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I do my own car work, so here is unbiased opinion. My first ody replacement rotors were bad, technically only one of them and technically it is not warped, but uneven surface. I had bought a special tool to measure rotor runout to prove defective rotor to the manufacturer. They were brand new "premium" rotors too.
Above falls under sh*t happens category.
Clunking can come from pads. There are two metal V looking springs that keep pads under tension in the caliper. Perhaps the shop did not bother putting them in after pad replacement?
Pads ride on metal clips and should only ever move laterally. That is toward and outward of rotor. If the pads have some rotational freeplay, it could definitely cause clanking.

It could also be a coincidence and something else is clunking.

BTW, pebbles between pads and rotor?! :huh: That's crazy talk. The amount of space between pad and rotor is only good for a couple of grains of sand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts