Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get a sound from the back of their van when backing up? When I brake as I head down my driveway I get a clunk/bonk sound. I thought it was stuff in the back of my van... like a stroller but it does it even when it is empty. My first 2011 did it as well. Could it be the gas sloshing around? I've never heard it in any other cars I've owned but I know people feel as though there isn't enough insulation in the Odys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have noticed it when still in my garage where's it's really quiet where the fuel splashes around on occasion. The fuel tank is very large on this car and at the same time, must be as flat as possible so you can have the maximum amount of interior room possible. Perhaps the design compromise has caused this noise?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is discribed as a chuttering/rattling sound. When I first drove off the dealer lot with my new 2011, I heard a "rattling" sound from the back. It went away as the road went smoother. Rattles when the road wasn't perfect.

Guess what it was? It was the plastic liscense plate cover. You might want to check into that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is discribed as a chuttering/rattling sound. When I first drove off the dealer lot with my new 2011, I heard a "rattling" sound from the back. It went away as the road went smoother. Rattles when the road wasn't perfect.

Guess what it was? It was the plastic liscense plate cover. You might want to check into that.
No license plate frame. I think the PP understands what I'm talking about. It happens over my driveway when I'm going slowly.. and my driveway is very smooth. It must be the gas sloshing around. I have to back up for a little ways to get to the street so it must give me more a chance of hearing the sound.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Does anyone get a sound from the back of their van when backing up? When I brake as I head down my driveway I get a clunk/bonk sound. I thought it was stuff in the back of my van... like a stroller but it does it even when it is empty. My first 2011 did it as well. Could it be the gas sloshing around? I've never heard it in any other cars I've owned but I know people feel as though there isn't enough insulation in the Odys.
This?

If you have a quiet garage, no kids on board, your radio is off and your tank is almost filled-up you can hear the gas splashing against the tank walls, especially during the subtle braking while pulling out. Never heard any other car do that before, but never had a car with a 21 gal tank before either :p

·
Banned
80 Posts
I had a rattling noise from the back. I finally narrowed it down to a back panel on the left side. Took it to a dealer and was told that the electric door connection inside the panel was loose. No more sound after repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too have heard some weird noise as if something is loose and just moving back and forth. The gas thing does make sende...I will listen for it again.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
I think I recall that at least two 2011 owners had third seat frames that were incorrectly welded and rattled. Something else to check...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I recall that at least two 2011 owners had third seat frames that were incorrectly welded and rattled. Something else to check...
Interesting. My 3rd row is usually stowed so I'm thinking I wouldn't be hear such a problem... but who knows. That's sort of scary that the seats were welded wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts