Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2021 Honda odyssey. The car is brand new, and within the first 1500KM, the car pumped the brakes becuase of the shadow infront of me.

This seems very dangerous. What if there is ice on the road. I could fly into the opposite lane.

Has anyone else had these issues?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a friend with a CR-V and she claims her system does the same thing. It happened enough times that she keeps it disabled.

I haven't experienced anything like that yet with our 2020 EX.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a friend with a CR-V and she claims her system does the same thing. It happened enough times that she keeps it disabled.

Well, as someone who uses radar every single day, I assure you, it doesn’t react to light at all. What is likely happening is there is a dip in the road which the radar CAN (and does) react to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't say it was radar and understand the basic principle behind how radar works. Doesn't it also use the camera? I have no idea what caused it, simply saying I know someone who experienced the same thing multiple times. While dips in the road can certainly cause the situation as you mentioned, one instance was when she pulled out of a badge check gate, which is flat, and she said the only thing she noticed was a really dark shadow on the road 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
200 Posts
I didn't say it was radar and understand the basic principle behind how radar works. Doesn't it also use the camera? I have no idea what caused it, simply saying I know someone who experienced the same thing multiple times. While dips in the road can certainly cause the situation as you mentioned, one instance was when she pulled out of a badge check gate, which is flat, and she said the only thing she noticed was a really dark shadow on the road 🤷‍♂️
The OP is the one that mentioned shadows. Which is just not possible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I do not believe the Adaptive Cruise or Collision Mitigation utilizes the camera...only the Auto High Beams and LKAS. I have experienced many "ghost" brake events and also drive with the mitigation turned off. Too many times it has picked up a car in the turn lane or oncoming and applied the brakes almost causing the person behind me to hit me...not worth the reward of hitting the brakes when actually needed. Just means I actually have to pay attention to the road when driving.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda odyssey. The car is brand new, and within the first 1500KM, the car pumped the brakes becuase of the shadow infront of me.

This seems very dangerous. What if there is ice on the road. I could fly into the opposite lane.

Has anyone else had these issues?
Can you reliably replicate this?
That is - based on time of day, and a specific area, can you do it so 1) you can record the event with a phone/camera/GoPro, and/or 2) show a service tech?

I hear your issue - our Odyssey front parking sensors beep for rain which is nonsense - and we have an Infiniti which fails to hold the lane, yet pumps brakes for other arbitrary sh-te.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I do not believe the Adaptive Cruise or Collision Mitigation utilizes the camera...only the Auto High Beams and LKAS. I have experienced many "ghost" brake events and also drive with the mitigation turned off. Too many times it has picked up a car in the turn lane or oncoming and applied the brakes almost causing the person behind me to hit me...not worth the reward of hitting the brakes when actually needed. Just means I actually have to pay attention to the road when driving.....
This. I also drive with it disabled, as what I’ve found is that where I live there are a LOT of high speed (50+ MPH) turns on the freeway. It will usually pick up the jersey barriers in the turn as an obstacle in the road. REALLY inconvenient when your on the freeway and cars crawling up your behind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Unfortunately, in the odyssey, I am not able to disable this feature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you reliably replicate this?
That is - based on time of day, and a specific area, can you do it so 1) you can record the event with a phone/camera/GoPro, and/or 2) show a service tech?

I hear your issue - our Odyssey front parking sensors beep for rain which is nonsense - and we have an Infiniti which fails to hold the lane, yet pumps brakes for other arbitrary sh-te.
It's hard to reliably replicate the issue. I do notice it happens on sunny days, dark shadows from a tree, and when I'm switching Lanes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the car to the dealer today, and they say all test were normal. Not sure what to do? Can't turn the feature off, and the car has breaker on it won in the last 3 weeks. Don't feel it's safe to drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts