Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2000 Odyssey that we will be replacing in a year or less. We also have a 2000 Maxima SE (my car). I'm debating on replacing it with a CNG vehicle for all the obvious reasons that relate to long-term costs. I'm no fan of Hybrid vehicles. I think they are an attempt that falls short when you factor the cost to maintain the batteries, etc.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have considered a Compressed Natural Gas vehicle for a true commute car. Where I live I have LOTS of CNG fueling stations. Besides, I've thought about putting a pump in my garage so fill up on what is already delivered to my home.

What do you guys see as drawbacks? Please don't cite availability of fuel as you can have it at your own home. I do get that it's not good for long-term trips. Again, this is for a commute vehicle.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like Utah is one of 4 states a retail customer can purchase one. The convenience of fueling up at home would be great. Is the cost per mile close to a gas version?

I read Honda's hybrids do sometimes have battery issues. I think that's because they use a smaller battery. Toyota hybrids have run a lot of miles on their original batteries with no extra cost associated to them.

Bottom line is if you feel it works for you go for it. Any CNG forums out there to get their take on the vehicle?.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For me it just doesn't do it. About the same mileage, less power, and about a $5000 cost premium. Even with a cost savings on the gas it would take a long time to balance out the cost difference for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts