Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a code get generated if the battery is disconnected?

I'm trying to figure out if the battery got disconnected or someone tried to steal the radio. My wife was on a trip and had the car valet parked at the hotel and it sat for three days. When she got the car back today all indications were that we lost power. Radio asked for the code and the clock had to be reset.

Now they did have bad storms in the area but no EMP that I'm aware of.:D

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Odds are that the battery died (you're right around the dying mark any way) and they (the valet guys) jumped the van and brought it over. I'd get the battery checked out.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Any chance that your battery was swapped by someone while parked? They took out your good battery and put an old one into your car?

I wouldn't think the battery on an '08 would have normally gone bad by now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the same battery FWIW. I had checked it before she left and it had a solid green eye showing. When I checked last night the hold downs didn't look disturbed but the protective rubber insulator on the positive terminal was up so a jump start was probably done. I'll check it again this afternoon in the light and see if we still have the green eye.

Who knows what happened. The car hikers were young and may have left the tailgate ajar when they unloaded her luggage and equipment.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know that this is frightening to think of, but when it comes to valets, theres a lot you don't really want to think about.;) But I have seen at times that keys are not actually removed from the cars in valet lots, but rather left in the ignition. I know that I have had issues where unless the keys are removed and a front door is opened and the alarm is set, there always seems to be some sort of electronic component drawing current. If the keys were left in the car or maybe even turned slightly I am almost certain that some computer was drawing power.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a chance to look in better light and it is the original battery. It was only clean were I had wiped the eye before she left. Only difference is that now the eye isn't green.:(
I'll throw it on the charger tomorrow and start reading up on the battery threads. I've never seen a auto battery recover from a full discharge.

I guess valets are going to be like hot dogs, don't really want to know that much about them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
moxie said:
I've never seen a auto battery recover from a full discharge.
I have dis-charged a battery sooo many times and have brought it back to life, it's not even funny.
I am sure it was weakened though. :rolleyes:

If you charged your battery and the light is not green, it's a goner. :(

If you were you I would look to replace the battery with the biggest CCA battery that I could fit in the space.

Take your battery to compare dimensions.
You be surpised, in the mife 2000 Odyssey we have a 1000CCA battery that fits right in. Wait it was 1/2 inch shorter than stock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's encouraging. I had it on the charger(2-6amp) for a couple of hours this AM before I had to take it out and the eye had already turned green. :) It's back on the charger now.

I'm in the third year of the warranty so from what everyone here has said I feel comfortable enough to hold off a few more months before replacing it. I don't want to chance another winter with it but at least I have time to shop now.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
At the very least I would have the charging system checked out and the battery load tested. Cars today are very susceptable to electrical damage be sloppy jumpering.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
moxie said:
That's encouraging. I had it on the charger(2-6amp) for a couple of hours this AM before I had to take it out and the eye had already turned green. :) It's back on the charger now.

I'm in the third year of the warranty so from what everyone here has said I feel comfortable enough to hold off a few more months before replacing it. I don't want to chance another winter with it but at least I have time to shop now.
But if you take it in, since you are in warranty, they will test it for free and if there are any problems with the battery, they will replace it for free since you're in your 3rd year of the warranty. If you cross that magic 3rd year, you would have to purchase your own battery. Hope you factored that in. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William Wiles said:
At the very least I would have the charging system checked out and the battery load tested. Cars today are very susceptable to electrical damage be sloppy jumpering.
dvpatel said:
But if you take it in, since you are in warranty, they will test it for free and if there are any problems with the battery, they will replace it for free since you're in your 3rd year of the warranty. If you cross that magic 3rd year, you would have to purchase your own battery. Hope you factored that in. :)
Thanks guys.

I forgot about the computers and all the other electrical stuff so I will get it checked out.

As far as the economics I had thought that in the third year it was only a 50% warranty so I was going to compare what the 50% would cost vs replacing with a better brand battery. I'm going to have to check the manual now. The reason I am not that interesed in another Honda battery is that reliablity is important since this is our only vehicle. If it doesn't start it is a major hassle. During the winter the typical wait for AAA here is 1 to 1 /12 hours and you have to stay with the car.

I keep forgeting the simple things - like they would test the electrical for free since it is in warranty. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did have the battery tested and it's okay. Tested at 633 CCA and 12.87 Volts. Also, there is a full warranty in the third year, don't know why I thought it was pro-rated at 50%.

The testing was free and they washed the car and got the bugs off the windshield. :)

Will see if they will check it again in December. Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It happened again, this time it was me who left the light on in the cargo area and then it sat like that for five days. Finally got a chance to use my power pack, which is older than the Ody. Took the Ody back to the dealer for a check and the battery is still rated as good. CCA is now down to 546 CCA and 13.08V though. I suspect that this time next year it will be dead. But I was suprised based on others experience with Honda batteries. I figured at 3 1/2 years and the second total discharge that I ruined it.

Another pleasant suprise is that the dealer didn't charge to test the battery and I got a free car wash.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts