Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old decided the cassette player (which I don't think has been used since the car was bought) looked like a good place to insert every type of coin we had in the car. I thought I had removed all of them but when we were driving around the speakers would crackle/pop for a split second. I looked inside the cassette door and saw 2 coins which I attempted to remove. I forgot to turn the key off and the coin shorted out something, sparked and smoked. After that the radio wouldn't turn on at all. I took the radio apart and found a fried trace on the main circuit board. Repaired the trace, hooked the radio back up and have power. Everything looks as though it's working properly (the dvd even plays) but I'm not getting any sound from any speakers. There's very faint sound through the headphones when turned up to max but nothing through any speakers. Does anyone have any idea what component on the board could create this problem if damaged? There's a volume controller that I'm thinking about replacing if I can track down the part. I know electronics pretty well but not audio. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Poor kid has probably never seen a cassette!

My son was fascinated by a typewriter at a museum last week. He kept saying "Look how it does this". Makes a guy feel old.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 2 year old decided the cassette player (which I don't think has been used since the car was bought) looked like a good place to insert every type of coin we had in the car. I thought I had removed all of them but when we were driving around the speakers would crackle/pop for a split second. I looked inside the cassette door and saw 2 coins which I attempted to remove. I forgot to turn the key off and the coin shorted out something, sparked and smoked. After that the radio wouldn't turn on at all. I took the radio apart and found a fried trace on the main circuit board. Repaired the trace, hooked the radio back up and have power. Everything looks as though it's working properly (the dvd even plays) but I'm not getting any sound from any speakers. There's very faint sound through the headphones when turned up to max but nothing through any speakers. Does anyone have any idea what component on the board could create this problem if damaged? There's a volume controller that I'm thinking about replacing if I can track down the part. I know electronics pretty well but not audio. Any help would be appreciated.
Several things could cause this; maybe you could start by checking if the
output transistors are not shorted. They should be the largest transistors attached or screwed onto heat sinks.
If they are OK, check if you have DC voltage on the biasing circuit for the output transistors, usually around +12 V DC or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.