Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem starting my Odyssey 03 in the mornings. When it starts, the revs go up and down erraticly (and then it stalls). If I hold the gas halfway down right after it starts for a few minutes, then I am able to keep it going until it warms up. It then runs and starts fine all day...until the next morning.

These are the steps that I have taken so far:

1) Took it to the mechanic: The error it throws (when it revs up and down the warning light and TCS come on): crankshaft position sensor. Mechanic replaced it (for a hefty fee!). Didn't solve the problem.
2) Took it back to the mechanic. He said that it is the EGR. Replaced the EGR. Didn't solve the problem.
3) I replaced the spark plugs (first time I have every tried something on my own...fed up with the amount of money I have thrown out). Proud that I could do it on my own, but it did not solve the problem.
4) Took it to a different mechanic today, and he's telling me that it is the crankshaft position sensor! Once the car has warmed up, the mechanic cannot see anything wrong.

I have read some other threads on the topic but have not been able to figure out what my problem could be? (hence I decided to post). The temperature sensor showed 34 deg this morning and then warmed up with the car, so it is unlikely to be the cause. Replaced the timing belt and water pump 1 year ago, so I don't think they are responsible.
Any other ideas are VERY welcome...

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Check the cable harnes feeding the crank senser. Rodents love it in the gen 2 Odyssey. Your mechanic needs to learn to use a voltmeter to trace out the circuit. Other than the sensor itself there is a cable harness and the PCM that could be at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll check these out.
Still beyond me why these would only give trouble in the morning and then work fine all day...

Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In response to William's suggestion: the mechanic said that the crankshaft position sensor (when measured directly) gave an ohmic reading that was out of spec (so it doesn't seem to be the harness or PCM). He therefore concludes that it is the sensor that is faulty. I find this hard to believe since it was replaced a few weeks ago. It it probably a symptom and not the cause...

Question regarding "New Dad New Van"s suggestion: woudn't the Idle Air Control Valve give an error code? (I don't get any error codes)

Thanks

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If the resistance is wrong on the senser then the first mechanic may have put in the wrong or a defective senser. Make sure they install the correct senser and they are checking the resistance with it disconnected from the cable harness. The senser is buried and not a simple job to replace so you want to check the new one out before installing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Mechanic claims to have found the problem: a bad pigtail/connnection to the power steering pressure sensor! Apparently Honda issued a service bulletin that this can cause erratic idle. I don't know what a 'pigtail' is and I really don't know why this would cause erratic idle? Also why only when cold? but it does seem to have fixed the problem...I'm waiting for a few more days to go by with easy starts to be completely convinced.

BTW, the IACV and throttle were fine when checked

Finally, I don't know how the crank shaft position sensor is (or not) related to all this, and if it really is faulty?

Thanks
Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts