Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 EX and when you start on a cold morning I get a loud screech. The van only has 33,000miles on it and has been to the dealer 4 times for the same issue. They replaced the power steering pump, timing belt tensioner and dressed the serpentine belt. The last visit today, they heard the noise but accomplished nada. Now I have too wait for the tech services from Honda tech line to appear at the dealer for an inspection. Please help and has anybody else have this same issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A high-pitched screech is quite likely to come from the serpentine belt, but is often a tricky problem to actually solve. It's going to be related to the the condition of the belt (you say it's practically new, so that's probably not it) or the relative difficulty of getting all the accessories spinning. One thing you can do is make SURE it's the accessory belt by removing it and starting the engine cold. If the noise is gone, it was surely from the belt. Assuming that's the case, it's going to take a part-by-part look at each pulley that belt needs to get turning when it starts. Quite likely, one of them is connected to an arbor that has issues that go away once warmed up. Figuring out which one (A/C, power steering, idler, ...) is likely to be tough to diagnose, and may take a mechanic's stethoscope (or a long screwdriver) positioned on one accessory at a time on successive cold start-ups to get an inkling of which accessory is bogging the operation down.

Nate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for responding Nate. The problem is that this noise only last for 4 sec at most, depending on how cold it is. Another way to describe it is when the ignition key is turned(by accident) and the motor is still running, the starter screech. To me, I think it is the starter, but the dealer does not concur. That is why I am on here now, to keep them honest. 4 seconds one shot or you are waiting 24hrs for it to occur again, ugh.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it's the starter, directed listening (mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver held up to your ear) will bear that out.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My '06 EXL has done that from day one and I haven't taken it in at all. As far as I'm concerned I think it comes from the serpentine belt and the belt looks fine.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My 05 did it and my two month old 2011 is doing it. It goes away quickly. I just figure it's my odys way of telling me it prefers warm day starts over cold day starts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Dressed the serpentine belt? Why not just replace it as it could be defective and is probably the cheapest part.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Very strange noise. From the youtube file it sounds like it happens after the engine has started, but not when the engine is starting. I would suspect that if it was the starter it would make the noise when the engine is starting.

It almost sounds like something is doing a self-check at start up within that first 2-3 seconds. I'm very curious to know the cause of the noise

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mine doesn't sound like the video. Mine's just the high pitched screech that lasts about 1/2 sec. on very cold starts only. Usually around -15C or colder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
To mrmichaeljmoore,

yes, yes, yes that is it, I have that same noise, exactly. I thought it was the starter, but the dealer wants nothing to do with that, they say it is normal. I think otherwise. Thank you for the video. I have a voice snipitfrom my iPhone, but I cant upload it to this forum. That video helps a great deal

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2008 Odyssey. Got the car in January of 2012 and I dont remember the sound last winter.

It is the same sound as the video and only happens on a cold start.

Any updates from those who have/had the issue and tried to find a cause?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Cold start screech noise can be caused by a defective PS fluid reservoir. The filter in the reservoir starves the PS pump on startup causing the noise. See the attached TSB that has been around for 5 years now. Take this to your dealer...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the PS pump replaced in March 2012 becuase of the steering wheel was very difficult to turn at low speeds. Not sure if they replaced the PS fluid reservoir also. I will need to check the parts list from the service ticket.

Also the TSB says that the symptom occurs after driving for 30 minutes. Is there a TSB that describes the cold start issue?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
If it is not in the TSB, then I am just applying logic that the strainer in the ATF reservoir restricts the fluid to the pump on startup and produces that awful screech of a starved pump.

The reservoir could still very well be your problem. I would look into it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jd1967 --

Not sure if you saw the other threads talking about the same noise issue....but.....

Had my van at the dealership for an oil change yesterday.
Showed a different service advisor the audio/video clip of the noise and asked him to investigate.
I suggested to him, based on the other threads on this forum, that the starter may be the culprit.

He called me back a few hours later and stated that they believed it was the starter causing the noise.
He sated they will replace the starter under warranty (Certified used).
Unfortunately, they did not have the starter in stock, so I will have to wait until it is replaced before giving an update to see if solves the problem.

mm

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have this noise too, at first I thought it was for sure the starter remaining engaged for a second or two after the engine had started. After searching the web this seems to be a common problem in the Odyssey and Ridgeline. On a Ridgeline forum it was derermined that it was infact the power steering pump. I see that someone has posted a TSB regarding the strainer in the reservoir causes the pump to be starved for fluid after a cold start. I will talk to my dealer about this and see if I can have it replaced or rectified.

Edited: My odyssey is a 2011. Still possible to be a defective reservoir?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts