Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Those of you in cold weather regions, do you warm up the ody before driving? Or do you start and go? My habit is 2 minute warmup and then go. Just curious what everyone else does...Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It gets down into the teens overnight where Im at. The next morning, I typically hop in and drive. I believe idling is worse on the engine then the cold.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always let our Odysseys warm up before driving when it is below freezing. If not for the engine, for my own comfort.

And if idling the engine is 'bad' for it then I am in trouble since mine idles for at least an hour a day in the winter and summer (on days I drive it). A lot of days, it idles for several hours. So far so good, 110k and endless hours of an idling engine, and no issues on the 2006. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I generally wait till the RPMs settle - on my ody, that's at 1,000 RPM. In mild temperatures this takes 10-20 seconds; at or just below freezing, it takes less than a minute (note, the van is parked in a garage or covered parking most times). I don't recall warming up for more than a minute in my 1+ year of ownership.

I think you also need to factor in where you drive and for how long. It's my undersanding that with the engine running you're potentially building condensation over time. On short runs the engine/exhaust doesn't get warm enough to boil it off completely and another reason why oil changes are more frequent for vehicles used for frequent short runs. On longer drives, the condensation has a greater change of boiling off.

My daily commute is 3-4 miles each way so it's just better for me to get going and my route is all city driving (i.e. not real opportunity to mat the gas pedal). If you drive 30+ minutes, chances are your driving moderately in local roads till you hit a highway/freeway or a stretch where you get the speeds up a little. In either case, I'm just guessing idling for more than a minute makes little difference on engine wear. Most of the wear is in the starting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Per Owner's manual said there is no need to warm up the car because it would warm up faster while driving. If I'm in a hurry, I just get in and go but take it easy on the gas pedal until the engine warm. Most of the time I will warm it up for a little bit before take off. The point is, it is up to the owner.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Your Opinions Welcomed

frank2003 said:
I found that most of that article had nothing to do with "warming up your car in winter" but rather idling in general.

I found this to be most amusing:
The coming electric cars, such as the Nissan Leaf, will incorporate a wonderful feature that allows the owner to use a cellphone to tell the car (which is plugged into the grid) to pre-warm or pre-cool the interior. No idling necessary.
No idling necessary, ON AN ELECTRIC CAR !!
What a wonderful feature, you don't need to let the ELECTRIC car idle !!

As to the original question, a lot depends on how cold it is, and if it's parked in a garage or outside. Normally I consider start up, exit garage, close garage door, fasten seat belt, say 30 sec, is plenty to get the oil circulating, then drive easy for several miles until engine temp is up. If it's really cold, below zero, an extra 30 sec wouldn't hurt. In short, drive easy until warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts