Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to trade my '05 for a 2011. There are very few on the lots and I can't view the color combos other than on line, which usually aren't accurate. I have been torn between topaz and alabaster silver, but am leaning toward AS due to showing less scratches, dirt, etc... I am wondering how the truffle interior looks with the alabaster silver metallic. If you have this combination or have seen it, please tell me what you thought.

·
Registered
463 Posts
vernc, I cannot answer your question directly, but a good way to see real pictures of all of the van colors posted by various dealers is to go to cars.com and search the new car section which will let you list all of the vans out there in that color. For many of them in that color, dealers will have posted pictures. That might be a way to see many different combinations in real pictures, not just the brochure type pictures. Hope that helps. Tom

New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am getting ready to trade my '05 for a 2011. There are very few on the lots and I can't view the color combos other than on line, which usually aren't accurate. I have been torn between topaz and alabaster silver, but am leaning toward AS due to showing less scratches, dirt, etc... I am wondering how the truffle interior looks with the alabaster silver metallic. If you have this combination or have seen it, please tell me what you thought.
Black is the BEST.. everything then matches on the vehicle. The side view mirrors and rear spoiler is black ONLY for 2011 (dumb in my opinion, since they used to be color coded up to 2010) , which doesn't look some good with some of the colors except Black.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The truffle that I saw, looked kind of... odd. It's more of a blackish brown than a black.

I've got the gray in our Polished metal, and it's much lighter than i expected it to look, and almost looks tan at night under the interior lights.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/5376952958_f48f39f1c6.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/5376351483_5310cc1e03.jpg

Black is the BEST.. everything then matches on the vehicle. The side view mirrors and rear spoiler is black ONLY for 2011 (dumb in my opinion, since they used to be color coded up to 2010) , which doesn't look some good with some of the colors except Black.
honestly, the black side mirrors and spoiler aren't hugely noticeable i've found. the spoiler really blends with the shape of the rear window, and the mirrors are actually a different color of black than crystal black pearl.

it does look the sharpest and least van like in black though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with you about the mirrors and spoilers. But then I read someone's comment that in black, this van looks like a hearse...and damn it, they were right.

Plus, my '07 was black. Well, supposedly it was black. I don't really know, because unless I took it for a wash literally every 3 days, it was just some combination of dusty brown, dusty whitish/grey (rock salt) and lemon-lime (pollen.) It was always filthy and showed EVERYTHING. Drove me crazy.

Too soon to tell on my polished metal. I will say, in the matching department, polished metal matches the grey inserts in the grill perfectly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have the silver, but I've got real pictures of my smoky topaz. No interior pics of the truffle, though. Look in this thread, post 15 if you'd like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I agree with MFLetou. I know I don't want black. I have a long gravel driveway and live in the south, so it would stay gray and yellow. Not to mention my kids pulling bookbags and other items in and out of it. I can just see the many scratches that would be screaming at me from the black paint. I do like the polished metal, but again worry about scratches and swirls in the paint showing up. I ahve never had a dark colored car, so I am worrying about those things (maybe more than I should?) I have a slate green '05 right now and it has been a wonderful color to disguise any flaws. I wish they had not done away with it.

Any pros/cons anyone wants to share about their exterior/interior colors are welcome.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We didn't like our truffle interior when we were first shopping around. But we loved the new smoky topaz, which only comes with truffle inside. Now that we have it, we don't even notice what the interior color is. Plus, we realized that it's basically the same color as dirt. That may not sound great, but I have two young boys, and dirt is exactly the color I want for an interior.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with you about the mirrors and spoilers. But then I read someone's comment that in black, this van looks like a hearse...and damn it, they were right.

Plus, my '07 was black. Well, supposedly it was black. I don't really know, because unless I took it for a wash literally every 3 days, it was just some combination of dusty brown, dusty whitish/grey (rock salt) and lemon-lime (pollen.) It was always filthy and showed EVERYTHING. Drove me crazy.

Too soon to tell on my polished metal. I will say, in the matching department, polished metal matches the grey inserts in the grill perfectly.
A hearse? LOL! I don't think so. Yes, black cars do show dirt, but there is nothing like a black car when it's shined up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have the silver, but I've got real pictures of my smoky topaz. No interior pics of the truffle, though. Look in this thread, post 15 if you'd like.
Thanks for the pics! Beautiful car!!! Is it dark brown...similar in coloring to the truffle interior? Look different in sunlight than shadow - like polished metal does? I love the chrome handles contrasting with dark exterior.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with MFLetou. I know I don't want black. I have a long gravel driveway and live in the south, so it would stay gray and yellow. Not to mention my kids pulling bookbags and other items in and out of it. I can just see the many scratches that would be screaming at me from the black paint. I do like the polished metal, but again worry about scratches and swirls in the paint showing up. I ahve never had a dark colored car, so I am worrying about those things (maybe more than I should?) I have a slate green '05 right now and it has been a wonderful color to disguise any flaws. I wish they had not done away with it.

Any pros/cons anyone wants to share about their exterior/interior colors are welcome.
You do realize that a scratch is a scratch and will show no matter what color it's on, LOL! Be careful and avoid them. I've had cars 5+ yrs old with the kids that look great, I make sure they are careful and take care of things.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
If you are looking for a low maintenance and durability (and assuming the Odyssey is not your toy car, but rather the family hauler), Alabaster Silver with gray leather is the choice. Now, If your interior choice is fabric, Truffle will do (just apply some 3M upholstery protection regularly and it works great). With all the snow and stuff I've realized that gray leather hides kid's normal dirt well, contrary to my initial perception. Also, any leather, very easy to wipe/clean

But now, beforehand I can tell you that in general silver (and gray) is very popular, especially in Odysseys, so you should expect to see more and more around parked next to you, anywhere ;)

2010 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Study

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You do realize that a scratch is a scratch and will show no matter what color it's on, LOL! Be careful and avoid them. I've had cars 5+ yrs old with the kids that look great, I make sure they are careful and take care of things.
My kids don't scratch the cars either, but the rest of the outside world does ;). I think he(she) means that silver hides them well, and I agree. My black car used to get ugly scratches just by looking at it

·
Registered
427 Posts
The truffle that I saw, looked kind of... odd. It's more of a blackish brown than a black.

I've got the gray in our Polished metal, and it's much lighter than i expected it to look, and almost looks tan at night under the interior lights.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/5376952958_f48f39f1c6.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/5376351483_5310cc1e03.jpg

honestly, the black side mirrors and spoiler aren't hugely noticeable i've found. the spoiler really blends with the shape of the rear window, and the mirrors are actually a different color of black than crystal black pearl.

it does look the sharpest and least van like in black though.
In my opinion, the black only painted rear spoiler and side view mirrors stand out like a sore thumb in any other color than black. They don't color match...It's very bad/notiecable on the white and lighter colors. The non hidden sliding door track looks best on black or dark colors as well, it's too noticeable on the lighter colors.

The black mirrors and black rear spoiler may not be exactly Black Crystal Peark but, it's not really perceptible, it appears to be the same black or very close. Looks like the rear spoiler was added on or replaced from an accident when it doesn't match, esp on the tan or silvers or white. There must not be many car enthusiasts here, LOL!

The key here would be to have a reputable body shop paint the rear spoiler and side mirror to match, which is what I have had done on other cars in the past. The 2005 to 2010, it is color matched to the vehicle on the middle and higher end vans. Even on the 1999 to 2004 it was, on the higher end trim vehicles. That was over-sight by Honda on the 2011.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My kids don't scratch the cars either, but the rest of the outside world does ;). I think he means that silver ides them well, and I agree. My black car used to get ugly scratches just by looking at it
Very true.. I always try to park far away when I have to go to a mall, etc..

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are looking for a low maintenance and durability (and assuming the Odyssey is not your toy car, but rather the family hauler), Alabaster Silver with gray leather is the choice. Now, If your interior choice is fabric, Truffle will do (just apply some 3M upholstery protection regularly and it works great). With all the snow and stuff I've realized that gray leather hides kid's normal dirt well, contrary to my initial perception. Also, any leather, very easy to wipe/clean

But now, beforehand I can tell you that in general silver (and gray) is very popular, especially in Odysseys, so you should expect to see more and more around parked next to you, anywhere ;)

2010 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Study
LOL!.. I treat all my vehicles like my toy sports car, even the Oddy...esp the '11, my 2003 Oddy looked nearly new in early 2011, 8 yrs later, where as I've seen some family vans, look like garbage/ half destroyed at only 3 to 5 yrs old. Some people just dont take care of them. I was hoping for a black leather interior like in '05 to '10, but Honda doesn't have that for '11. The light gray will take more maintenance, but so did the tan in my '03. Yes, leather only, esp for kids, if you can afford the leather. Much better than fabric interiors with kids.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Red was 2nd favorite

My 2nd favorite color is the RED they offer on the '11 Oddy. If I had gotten that Red, I would have had at least the rear spoiler color matched/re-painted and probably the side view mirrors.

Also you don't see many vans in black, I don't and I travel a lot. In fact If I remember, black was only offered on the Touring Oddy's in 05-10, or some of the years.

·
Registered
170 Posts
when shopping, my wife and i instantly eliminated anything with the truffle or tan interior.

that didn't leave too many colors.

We were really down to the light blue, the polished metal and black, and knowing the roads, and maintenance it takes for a black car... i veto'd that desire quickly.

as for the comment about not being car enthusiasts... i've owned 8 cars in 12 years of driving.

Everything from race prepped Evo VIII & STi's, to Civic Si's, CR-V's and now the odyssey.

4 hondas since 2003.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I do realize a scratch is a scratch and we are careful with our vehicles. However, it is a family vehicle and while my kids do not go around scratching up cars, I am a realist and know that things happen. My '05 still looks great! I think black is beautiful; I was simply saying that black is not right for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL...Yes, I do know a scratch is a scratch. However some car colors mask them better than others. We do take care of our vehicles - my '05 looks great! That's why I have loved the color, because although there are some scratches on it, you can't see them until you are right up on them. My kids do not go around scratching up cars, but I am a realist and know things happen that can't be controlled at times with everyday, normal use- no matter how careful you are - like the time a student's rolling bookbag scraped my car as he was walking by in the teacher parking lot at my school going to his mom's car. I have nothing against black - I think it is beautiful. I was simply saying it is not the color for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts