Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first went to look at the Ody we figured that we would like black. But it is a flat, plain black that look like hell when even a little dirty.

The Polished Metal Grey is common and blah. The Red is hideously brown. Topaz looks like mud. Mocha is for old ladies. No white cars in my family are allowed, but it looks good on the Odyssey.

That leaves silver and Celestial Blue. I like silver. The wife likes the blue.

Can a manly-man drive a light blue minivan and still feel "secure"? Is the blue too feminine?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personal preference, obviously. Black is always dirty - by the end of the driveway after a good wash (trust me I know from owning several), but there is nothing that looks better for a few seconds after it is thoroughly cleaned and polished. I (57 and I consider myself to be a manly man) liked the celestial blue, but the wife liked the mocha. Guess who won - maybe not so manly after all? :nod:

I am not convinced color is so much the manly choice as much as the van itself. You have to be comfortable in your manliness to drive one.... instead of the jacked up RAM HD with the rifle rack in the rear window. Personally, I have no problems with any of the Honda colors or the van.... your comfort level may vary however :rockon:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everybody is different but I think the Silver is more common than the Polished Metal which is why we went with the Metal.

We had a celestial blue CR-V and I have to say, it wasn't my favorite color (not manly enough?) but the wife liked it so we went with it.

Funny, when I was trading the CR-V in, the dealer asked what color it was and went as far as to say, it better not be gold because they won't be able to get rid of it.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmmm. I guess I really must like mud.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Can a manly-man drive a light blue minivan and still feel "secure"? Is the blue too feminine?
Thoughts?
Hey, PM me your number and we can talk privately, I own one :love:

:D

My take, choose what your wife wants, you won't regret it. As per a manly-man minivan thing, dude, you'll be driving a minivan, it does not matter what color, it is a minivan. If you don't feel secure for any reason, a black or silver minivan will not compensate it, trust me ;)

But anyway, don't listen to me, listen to Dan Neil:

Video - Why the 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite Mini-Van could be Honda's best vehicle. - News Hub - WSJ.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Funny, Topaz was a favorite until I saw it on a rainy day and from a distance.

Look at the color car that is being highlighted at the Detroit Show:
booth-babes-detroit-auto-show.jpg
PHOTOS: Get To Know The Booth Babes Of The Detroit Auto Show

Just trying to justify the color to myself...

BTW--made a great deal. Odyssey Touring 37100+TTL+Accessories. My number was 37k, cash deal, no tricks. Some laughed at me, others cajoled me and some came close. But I finally found my dealer...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Funny, Topaz was a favorite until I saw it on a rainy day and from a distance.

Look at the color car that is being highlighted at the Detroit Show:
View attachment 10557
PHOTOS: Get To Know The Booth Babes Of The Detroit Auto Show

Just trying to justify the color to myself...

BTW--made a great deal. Odyssey Touring 37100+TTL+Accessories. My number was 37k, cash deal, no tricks. Some laughed at me, others cajoled me and some came close. But I finally found my dealer...
I would get whatever color comes with the lady in this photo. :)

We are on our third tan Odyssey, which for 2012 is called Mocha. Hides the dirt very well both inside and out, and looks good with the black mirrors and spoiler. People will stop laughing at you in a minivan when they can't keep up with you on a twisty road. Odyssey rocks! Happy shopping.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You look familiar. I am glad that you goes with Honda Ody instead of Ford .... if you are that person:)

All color look good but I am not sure about mocha. Some days, Topaz look awful and gorgeous. I have color that is similar to Metal. Metal is good color and low maintenance. To be honest, I like C.Blue and i am kind of worried about that how it look with light blue color. Will i be proud driving it? or people think that i am borrowing my wife s car everyday:) I am glad that you asked about light blue and feminine questions.

Light blue color seems to be getting popular on muscle cars and modern sport cars. I know Ody is a van and it is different thing. My point is Light Blue got accepted....

Acura Wagon look good in light blue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much for all your input. Yes Owl, that is me looking at the Flex!

In all seriousness, I have absolutely no problem driving a van and especially the Odyssey. I think it looks great. Would blue have been my 1st or 2nd choice? Nope.

Metal is the least maintenence but they are everywhere. I was more concerned with the interior. I wanted Truffle as it looks richer and may stay cleaner looking. But Blue only comes with the grey interior.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do remember that you ask very good questions over there:)

Yea. Let me know what you decide. New Ody look great and that I agree.

Welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It went down to the wire, with my wife liking the speed and handling of the Flex. But I knew that the Ody's flexibility, economy and resale value was a better choice for us.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My take, choose what your wife wants, you won't regret it. As per a manly-man minivan thing, dude, you'll be driving a minivan, it does not matter what color, it is a minivan. If you don't feel secure for any reason, a black or silver minivan will not compensate it, trust me ;)
I gotta agree with BigBoat here. It's a minivan. Accept it for what it is. You're choosing practicality and convenience over looks. Basically, thinking like an engineer. If you want impractical and less efficiency but better "looks/image", then get a SUV. I mean, if you just look at raw numbers (particularly cargo capacity), a minivan makes a large SUV like a Tahoe or Sequoia look like a shoebox but having the exterior size of a sumo wrestler.

Speaking of shoeboxes, that's what I think of when I see the Flex. Looks wise, that's a wash to me.

Anyways, why no white? We get sun around here so white is the preferred color cuz it reflects heat. No other color reflects heat like a white car does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts