Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Since November greeted Texas with 80+ degree days, I need opinions from those in warm climates on colors, leather or not on EX Ody. GG is probably my favorite, but I prefer an ivory interior (not a MB fan).

I'm weighing the cons of the darker Fern interior on my fave GG exterior, or going with the darkest exterior EP just to get my preferred Ivory interior.

Do dark vs light colors make that much difference in heat absorption (in or out)? (Sidebar rant--WHY would they choose the darkest interior to pair with TW?)

Leather--always assumed I'd wanted it until reading posts about how hot it is. Is it really? My cloth seats look fabulous after 8+ years, admittedly 1/2 that time without kids. So I have confidence in Honda's cloth, but have always envied the look of leather in friends' cars.

Thanks! I welcome your input. Glad to be among such a great group (especially like Maugham's signature).

------------------
'97 Accord LX (hubby's)
'93 Accord 10th Anniv (mine)
'83 Accord DX (RIP)
'66 Mustang w/deluxe seats (owned'77-83)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ellemeno, welcome!

I haven't had experience with the Ody leather, in particular, but we have three vehicles all of which have leather interiors (two beige, one charcoal). I haven't noticed any appreciable difference after they have been exposed to direct sunlight (in the summer, of course); they are all HOT!

We used to have a Ford conversion van with cloth seats. Although they were ***much*** more comfortable in the summer, they did not clean up well despite the Scotchguard protection. Perhaps Honda's cloth is more resistant to stains and melted gummy worms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ellemeno,

We have had leather in every vehicle we've owned since our 2 children were born...13 and 10 1/2 now. (No grey hair yet...I don't think...) We would not have it any other way but leather...there is virtually nothing that won't clean up off of leather, and I'm speaking from experience.

Is is hot in the summer when you first get in? Yes! Intolerable or burning? No, just a little uncomfortable at first.

Is it cold in the winter? Oh, yeah! ...but with seat heaters, within 3-5 minutes you think you're in a luxury chair.

A few points I would pass along concerning the leather after almost 15 years of experience with it.

1) After you have about 1500 miles or a month on the vehicle, and the seats are just a little broken in, give the leather an initial "conditioning." Use a HIGH QUALITY conditioner specifically meant for leather. I personally use all the Zymol products, although many on this board seem to rave about Zaino. Which brings me to the second point.

2) Use only HIGH QUALITY cleaning and conditioning products specifically designed and intended for LEATHER only!!! Don't use cheap stuff, and especially stay away from stuff that is listed as Leather/Vinyl cleaners/conditioners.

In our early unexperienced naivety we used Armor All. When we got "smart" we "upgraded" to a product called The Tannery. We were very diligent with our 2 Saabs, probably conditioning the leather every week to two...sometimes even letting the "conditioner" sit on the seats for hours to allow "soaking in." Later, after the leather started cracking like crazy did we come to know that The Tannery was filled with formaldehyde type solvents that were KILLING our leather.

Make absolutely certain that your leather products are designed for leather and they are separate from the products that you use for your vinyl trim.

My personal recommendations are Zymol or Lexol for cleaning. Saddle soap can be used if you've really neglected the cleaning for a long time, but it should not be used on a regular basis, as the seat leather is not nearly a durable or firm as other leather such as horse tackle. For conditioning, I have always had great success with the Zymol "Treat" conditioner. I would expect that Lexol also is great based on their leather cleaning product, but I have never personally used it.

3) Just like any other detailing, the more you stay on top of the leather the better it will perform. Always clean up the stains ASAP, (although if you miss the spilled Kool-aid for a week, you'll be amazed how forgiving leather can be). Really get the vacuum down into the crevices...food crumbs and liquids migrate down into them.

Vacuum often. Damp wipe about once a month, and thoroughly clean and condition about every six months, and the leather will last as long as the vehicle. More attention to the driver's seat will be worthwhile.

4) My last point is this...think HARD before you select any Ivory or Camel colored leather. If you select those colors, you MUST be more diligent about cleaning. Stains will still clean up fine, but if you don't clean it often, it WILL show dirt, and after a couple of years, it will begin to look dirty and used. As well, the leather dye can wear off in a few tiny high use spots after many years. With a dark color leather this is a whole lot less noticeable.

I'm sure there are other opinions and experiences...maybe many different, but this is my humble advice based on our 15 years worth.

Hope it helps.

------------------
JetJock

"If there is nothing worth dying for, then there is probably nothing worth living for"

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmmmmm...I was trying to decide if I should take the MB w/I leather this month or wait for the GG w/F leather next month. My gut says wait - we have 20 month old twins and we aren't the world's greatest at maintenance.

I think JetJock's post just pushed me over the top.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys. I'm hoping to get "up close and personal" with some of these vans to help me with my choice. A few dealers here say they have unsold EXs either here or here within the week, so we'll hopefully be able to test drive too (like I really need to!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Hmmmmm...I was trying to decide if I should take the MB w/I leather this month or wait for the GG w/F leather next month. My gut says wait - we have 20 month old twins and we aren't the world's greatest at maintenance.

I think JetJock's post just pushed me over the top.

Dave
</font>
Dave,

We have the GG w/ Fern leather. When I told my wife the vehicle was here she asked how the grey leather looked. When I told her it was "fern", she nearly gagged at the thought of "green" leather.

As soon as she opened the door and actually saw it, she fell in love with it...and still couldn't be happier.

Don't want to totally steer you away from Ivory...obviously, a lot of people love that color or they wouldn't keep offering it. Just be aware that I believe it takes a little more diligence and work.

Bottom line, you won't be disappointed no matter what choice you make. Do love the GG though....

------------------
JetJock

"If there is nothing worth dying for, then there is probably nothing worth living for"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts