Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My wife backed into a post and did some cosmetic surgery on the back plastic of the bumper of my '01 EX. The bodyshop Honda sent the car to did an excellent repair job and removed the bumper before painting. However, I notice in the sunshine, the bumper paint is slightly lighter than on the hatch and rear quarters. The bodyshop mentioned they use the paint code for determining color (it's fern also known as "metallic grey".

Is this normal and has anyone had similar results after bodywork? I'm sure if I went back and complained they would repaint.

Regards, Geoff.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It is VERY hard to duplicate the factory finish, both in terms of color match and long-term appearance (gloss, etc.). That's why none of us should let anyone repaint defective spots on our vans, expecially if they require whole panel repaints. Over time, they often do not age well.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I've heard, it's especially hard to match metallic since variables like the angle and air pressure of the spray gun will affect the dispersion of the metallic particles. At least with an '01, they shouldn't have to factor in fading.

By the way, what did they charge you? Someone ... ok, it was me... did the same thing to my GG '01.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost may not be comparable to CA since I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Bodyshop cost with labour and paint was $300CAN.

It would have been $450CAN but I popped the bumper off myself and reinstalled for the reason that I needed to installed a wiring harness for a trailer hitch I installed.

BTW, taking off bumper is a piece of cake, and it was off in 30 minutes.

Regards, Geoff.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes, paint does look different when it is aftermarket. Some ditz ran into our Chrysler last year and a whole panel had to be repainted. When the light hits it just right it looks much different, really glossy.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
One word ... Joe Myers Collision Center.

Ok, that's four words, but they do perfect work. A stupid ass lady on a cell phone hit my baby in January. I show and race the car, so you can imagine how freaked out I got.

Make sure the repair center is I-Car certified.

Keep in mind this is near-mint 8 year old paint. The top pics make it look faded. It ain't.
Only the rear quarter panel and bumper cover was repainted.

Jim's busted up baby

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 09-03-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
Ouch Jim!!! Glad they got it fixed up!

Just goes to show you that people on cellphones can't drive worth a darn (almost got ran over by a blonde on a cellphone in a Explorer the other day). I never talk on my cell when I'm driving.

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts