Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered a 2012 Odyssey EX-L RES here in Calgary, Alberta.

My wife's heart was set on the Cherry colour, and I had my heart set on the beige leather interior.

Oddly, in the USA, Cherry + beige leather is the standard mix. Here in the north, it's Cherry + grey.

Does anyone know if it is in any way possible to talk the dealer into ordering a Cherry + beige leather EX-L RES here in Canada?

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just checked out the exterior / interior color combinations for the 2012 Odyssey in the Honda Canada brochure.

http://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca/en/2012/odyssey/GenericLink/ACU10824_02_Odyssey_brochure_EN.pdf

It's strange that only the Mocha Metallic exterior color gets the ivory leather interior. I figured that the Cherry would get that too so there would be two exterior colors for each interior color. I think the Cherry looks better with the ivory interior.

Well you can try and twist the dealer's arms and you may have to pay extra. However, many car companies are set in their color combinations and aren't willing to budge from them! It sucks how Americans get 3 extra exterior colors - Smoky Topaz, Blue and an additional white not to mention more color combination options too!

2012 Honda Odyssey - Color Selector - Official Honda Site

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Boo Hoo, you all didn't have to deal with PAX. ;D To answer the question, I believe that Honda is extra strict when it comes to sticking to the prescribed options. In 2006, I wanted to get an Ocean Mist Touring with gray interior, and was told that Honda would not even consider it. Then as I looked further into the PAX issue, I actually looked into a Canadian Touring, but ran into all sorts of issues ranging from voiding the warranties to the celsius readings in the climate control. So although the grass my look greener, its best to buy on your side of the fence, or border. Maybe they think that Canadians wouldn't like the light beige interior with all that snow and wintery weather.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Toyota's no better. Long story but we ordered a Highlander Hybrid last year after being told wasn't available(even though it was listed in the brochure). Come to find out that it is available, just not on a routine basis in the Midwest. When I called the salesman on it, he backtracked as fast as his fat little legs could go and said that we could special order it. I cancelled the order on the basis that there was no honesty involved. Again, there's more to the story but Toyota has their quirks as well.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Toyota's no better. Long story but we ordered a Highlander Hybrid last year after being told wasn't available(even though it was listed in the brochure). Come to find out that it is available, just not on a routine basis in the Midwest. When I called the salesman on it, he backtracked as fast as his fat little legs could go and said that we could special order it. I cancelled the order on the basis that there was no honesty involved. Again, there's more to the story but Toyota has their quirks as well.
I have been rather extensively researching the Sienna, cause I won't get a 4th gen Ody, and that whole regional system that Toyota uses is ridiculous. At least when you go onto the Honda website to build an Ody online, you get the same options nationwide. In order to check availability with Toyota, I have to try several different zip-codes just to see what their offering....during that particular month.....since they have a tendency to randomly change around unexpectedly. At least now I don't think it will be a problem, because I have pretty much ruled out the Sienna and picked my next van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the replies. Cherry van trumps beige interior (or is that happy wife, happy life?)

:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been rather extensively researching the Sienna, cause I won't get a 4th gen Ody, and that whole regional system that Toyota uses is ridiculous. At least when you go onto the Honda website to build an Ody online, you get the same options nationwide. In order to check availability with Toyota, I have to try several different zip-codes just to see what their offering....during that particular month.....since they have a tendency to randomly change around unexpectedly. At least now I don't think it will be a problem, because I have pretty much ruled out the Sienna and picked my next van.
That's exactly what I did. I see I must have typed a little too fast on my post as I left out that the issue was color. We wanted blue and were told it wasn't available so I went to Edmunds and used an assortment of zip codes around the country and lo and behold, blue and red were available, just not in the Midwest for standard dealer stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a nice light red on my 2002 Honda EX {bought new; now at 331,000 kms}. If I was to purchase a new Odyssey EX I would want the same light red. The Ontario dealer says sorry. But, I am saying if you want my business could you not persway the Americans to pass a Canadian desinate Odyssey on to the light red paint line.
They said the Americans rule what we Canadians get.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ended up buying the last of the 2013 Touring Elite's just to get the Dark Cherry Pearl, as it is not available on any trim in 2014. Grey leather, of course, since there is no option. I have seen the beige/ivory leather and would have preferred it as well: the grey sure starts looking dirty very quickly (and my Ody is only 3 weeks old!), or even black leather should be an option - it looks good forever when you have kids and dogs in there with you.
As for why the availability is different, Canada vs USA, there are import regulations (the Odyssey is made in USA, unlike some Ontario built Hondas) including emissions controls, and I guess when Honda Canada looks at the estimated sales they choose the most likely sellers. Also, if the red colour sold in large numbers in previous years, they may not have wanted to keep pumping more and more of them into the Canadian market.
The way the production lines work, in Alabama and elsewhere, is that very few cars are made to order and almost all are on spec. Therefore when you "build" your car online, you are actually causing your dealer to search for it at another dealership somewhere, and buy it from them - increasing their cost and likely negating any possibility of a discount. Better to buy what you see, and search around for it if you don't see it locally. Importing across the border is problematic, warranty-wise and so on, and while it can save some money (esp. when the Canadian dollar is higher), I wouldn't recommend it unless you were actually living in the States, such as a military secondment or likewise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts