Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a scroll that runs across some of the Comcast cable channels. It said something like they will implement a digital enhancement program and could affect some of the channels.

I have basic cable (with modern Sony 40LCD). I went to their website and don’t understand it. Sure, I can call them, but I don’t want to be sold packages I don’t really need. Are they forcing me to go digital cable-bottom line?

I thought that "digital TV" thing was already in place, where your old TV won't work.

So what is this?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If it's what I think it is, they did the same thing in my area a few months ago. Again, if it's the same thing, if all your TVs have a cable box then you won't be affected. If you have a TV that is connected to the wall outlet by coax only (no box) then that TV needs a box of some kind in order to continue to receive all but the most basic of channels.

In my area Comcast was offering free boxes if you have a coax-only TV. I just called their toll-free number, they asked how many TVs I needed it for, and then they shipped the boxes out to me. All free.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't worry about it. Your TV has a QAM tuner built in to it, basically a digital cable tuner. You'll be able to get any digital channel that Comcast has as long as it is not scrambled. The main difference you may find is in finding the channels. The channel number designations that the cable companies use are just for convinience, they are not the real channel tuning frequencies. Around here that means that if you have a cable box and want ABC you tune to channel 7, if you are using the built in tuner fo the TV you go to channel 93.5, it will vary for each region and cable company.

What ends up happening is that if you do not want the cable box you have to do an auto tune with the TV and then namually go through each channel to figure out which channel is what. You will get a better picture this way but it takes a lot more up front work than just getting a cable box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts