Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 'newborn' carseat (you know, the one w/ the base that comes out of the car so you can bring in the little sleepy-head without waking them?)

Anyway, got it at Babies-R-Us; its a Graco and I believe is one of those 'only available at b-r-us' type of fabric designs.

Anyway, the point of this is I also picked up one of those Century LATCH adapters ($25). After playing with it I've come to believe that it will work with any current carseat that uses a seatbelt. The box & everything lead you to believe that it "only" works w/ Century seats manufactured after 97 but its just a seatbelt w/ 2 LATCH hooks. This will pass through the opening on any carseat that you normally run the car seatbelt through.

Anyway, my comment is that it looks like this will work with pretty much any carseat, so don't feel you have to go w/ a Triad or FisherPrice if you want a LATCH-type seat. Please let me know if I'm off with my comments.

Also picked up 2 (gonna have 2 kids!) of the PrinceTiger (or whatever it is) seat protectors. They are listed at $12.99 but on 2 separate trips to B-r-us, I had to have them correct it at the register where it rang up as $14.99.

Anyway, as soon as we buy another seat for our 4 year old (I want something that will hold him for a few more years) I'll either buy another one of those LATCH thingies or maybe get one with them already built-in.

Hey Caviller, our 4 yr old is around 33 lbs and the Triad says it only goes to 40. About how many years would you say that would be of use from now? I see some that say they go to 60 or 80 lbs..it seems like that would be what we want.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I have a new article on LATCH and tether information here:
http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

PLEASE, do not use the Century LATCH Kit on other brands. Yes, it is *possible* it will work just fine. The issue is that it has not been tested. Century had to pass all relevant tests and standards with their carseats to make their claim and release the product. If you use it against their recommendations, as with any product, you are taking a chance on a combination that has not been tested.

I do have some advice for you regarding a new carseat. May I ask that you re-post your question on the forums at:
http://www.car-seat.org

As a new site, we could really use the questions:) If not, I'm happy to answer it here. Let me know.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">PLEASE, do not use the Century LATCH Kit on other brands. Yes, it is *possible* it will work just fine. The issue is that it has not been tested. Century had to pass all relevant tests and standards with their carseats to make their claim and release the product. If you use it against their recommendations, as with any product, you are taking a chance on a combination that has not been tested.</font>
Caviller, do you know whether the Century LATCH retrofit kit has been tested on Graco seats? I believe that Graco and Century are different brand names for the same company.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">PLEASE, do not use the Century LATCH Kit on other brands. Yes, it is *possible* it will work just fine. The issue is that it has not been tested. Century had to pass all relevant tests and standards with their carseats to make their claim and release the product. If you use it against their recommendations, as with any product, you are taking a chance on a combination that has not been tested.</font>
Caviller, do you know whether the Century LATCH retrofit kit has been tested on Graco seats? I believe that Graco and Century are different brand names for the same company.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
No, I do not. They are under the same ownership. I would have to suggest contacting the Century customer service line:

1-800-837-4044 (Century) or 1-800-345-4109 (Graco)

The ironic thing is that on the Century EZ LATCH strap is a tag which has the Graco brand name on it:) It wouldn't surprise me if Graco introduces the same product under their brand name soon. I'd also expect similar retrofit kits to be released by other companies.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll move this discussion to the childseat forum as well, but I also don't understand what kind of problem there could be with such a simple gadget (the LATCH thingie); a seat belt with 2 hooks.

The car seats all work the same way; using different automobile seat belts which have all kinds of different configurations (angles, some have a shoulder harness, some dont, etc.)

This LATCH adapter fits securely effectively taking the place of running the seatbelt through the back of the car seat and for the life of me, I cannot imagine how this could be unsafe. This device is too simple; looks like a universal replacement for where a seatbelt would connect except that it attaches at each end w/ a LATCH hook instead.

I did read your comments on the other board too, Caviller.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I think the only issue is that no one associated with carseat safety would go out on a limb and tell you that it's OK:)

If it installs fine and the seat is tight, then it's your decision as a parent on whether it's safe enough.

The biggest problem with this sort of thing is not with people who are cautious and check the fit in a situation that is not recommended. The problems is if word gets out that it does fit well on other seats, eventually someone will use it improperly on a seat for which it wasn't tested, or one where it didn't fit well, and it will result in an injury...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Still lurking nyvram? Wondering if you still needed input on the carseat purchase. If you don't have time to post at car-seat.org, I'm happy to answer here. Hope things are working out with the insurance company. Regarding the stolen bikes, and to put it simply, that really sucks...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, caviller:

I went to carseat.org to look for LATCH seats for my two kids for the new Odyssey, but the only ones I found available were convertibles. Are there any boosters that have the LATCH system?

Thanks!

------------------
Susan
'01 SS EX, cargo tray
'96 Grand Cherokee
'89 Accord LXi
'89 Kawasaki ZX600R

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTMom:
Hey, caviller:

I went to carseat.org to look for LATCH seats for my two kids for the new Odyssey, but the only ones I found available were convertibles. Are there any boosters that have the LATCH system?
</font>
Actually, my site is:
http://www.car-seat.org

I do have a review of the Century EZ LATCH system there. You can use it with newer Century combination harnessed boosters, like the NextStep. Other than the Century Retrofit kit, the only other LATCH carseats on the market are those two convertibles (Cosco Triad/FPSE II). Hopefully, there will be more choices soon. You may also note that once your child is over 40 pounds, even the combination booster seats must be used as a seatbelt-positioning booster. Even on the Century seats used with the EZ-LATCH kits, LATCH is not necessary in this mode, and is only used to prevent the seat from scooting around while the child gets in and out. The seatbelt must still be used to protect the child after 40 lbs. for combination boosters.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi, where did you buy the Century EZ Latch kit from? I've phoned 3 Toysrus and 2 Babiesrus stores, and visited 1 of each store around my neighborhood (Orange County, CA) and no one seems to know about this product. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
KYLELUONG,
The BABIES "R" US store in Cerritos has the LATCH kit in stock. You can find them in the car seat section on display racks in the center isle. I believe the price was $19.99, not too far for you to drive too. By the way, that store is about a half mile east of the 605 fwy. on South St. on the right. Hope this helps, they had about six sets on the shelf last week.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
FYI-

Evenflo and Graco will have LATCH retrofit kits later this year. In the case of the Evenflo, I believe they said it would only work on seats made since 9/99. Both said the kits would be about $20-$25 retail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed the EZ-Latch and a tether on our 1 year old's Century car seat. It was so much easier than screwing around with that seat belt and clip! I've always been reluctant to remove the car seats due to the hassle of reinstalling them. Latch is a great idea.

P.S. Got it at BabiesRus too.

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2100 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Infinity speakers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts