Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people (myself included) are missing a compass and an outside temperature gauge for their Ody. My solution was to buy a PNI 2000 Wayfinder (online for less than 40$, incl. Shipping and Handling) and to mount it above the rear view mirror. The connection to the interior lights ensures car power and the use of the auto back-light function.
(Disclaimer: Be aware that the described modification might void the manufactures warranty of the PNI 2000 Wayfinder and could potentially result in a damage to the electrical system of the car. The following description is provided without liability and for informational purposes only)

This is the final picture how it looks like after mounting. Possibly I could have done a better job by using a transparent tape at the bottom of the PNI unit (white arrowhead) but I had the silver tape in stock.

At first I took a transparent hard plastic strip of ~ 2 x 4 inches (Actually I took the lid of a screw box from a hardware store and cut the lid into above mentioned dimensions with leaving the edge of the lid on one side. This gave me some sort of an L-shaped, transparent, and flexible plastic strip). Then I taped the strip on top of the PNI unit with the strip extending about 3.5 inches over the unit front and the small edge hooking behind the top part of the display. I had to make a small cut out to avoid covering the photocell.
Picture 2 shows the view through the windshield. One can see the plastic strip taped on the top of the PNI unit (white arrowhead).

Now I inserted the plastic strip from the windshield between metal roof and dome. I had to lower the rear view mirror to the lowest position possible.
Picture 3 shows the side view of the PNI unit with the white arrowhead pointing to the insert of the plastic strip between the roof and the dome.

Next I removed the four screws of the dome interior light / home-link unit (two behind the bulb plastic cover and two in the sunglass compartment). I cut of the power outlet adapter of the standard PNI power cable and removed a short part of the insulation. Then I soldered a small shell over the blank cable ends. After that I carefully squeezed the prepared cable endings into the plug (black to black and red to white). It was easier for me to unplug the plug, to connect the cables, and to plug again. However, this plug has always power, even if the ignition is off. So I had to avoid a short circuit in order to avoid potential damage to the home-link system. The other end of the cable is going to the front and emerges between roof and dome. I tested for power at the other end of the cable before I reinstalled the lights.
Picture 4 shows the removed light / home-link unit with the PNI cable coming from the windshield (white arrowhead) and connected to the plug (black arrowhead).

I have mounted the outside temperature probe below the left mirror. However, there might be other good locations as well (just limited by the cable length). I just connected the cables to the unit, and adjusted the unit with a little tape to reach a comfortable angle for the driver. Then I masked the tape with silver and black duct tape (see white arrowhead in picture 1 and red arrowhead in picture 2). Finally I calibrated the unit (just one 360° circle outside) and … voila! … it works perfectly fine. And at night I even have a dim light to get an idea where my home-link buttons are ;)

For faster loading times the above pictures were limited to 19 - 25K. Please see the attachment for a bigger picture of the wiring (94K).

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Download: PNI 2000 final look

Here is another download of the final look (68KB).

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the VERY complete reply. The end result you show looks as good as my "On Star" that Cadillac advertised as "factory installed". I apreciate the info but missed it as I surfed the Ody site before I asked my question. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dnrpopper said:
Thanks for the VERY complete reply. The end result you show looks as good as my "On Star" that Cadillac advertised as "factory installed". I apreciate the info but missed it as I surfed the Ody site before I asked my question. Thanks again!!!
You're welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed the outside temperature gauge in my 2005 accord with no problems. I considered the autodimming compass mirror yet could see paying so much for the option. I will look into this wayfinder and possibly give it a shot. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts