Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I got mine for $190 or so plus tax from a local Honda dealer.

Installation takes about an hour and a half or so.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 04-18-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been thinking about installing this mirror since it has the outside temp sensor. I had this temp sensor feature on our previous 92 Dodge Caravan (which was integrated into the trip computer in the overhead console).

I was curious about this mirrors size (exact width at the largest part of the glass). Is it larger than the stock rear view mirror? Can you see any more than the stock mirror? I'd like a wider one than stock so I can see more than just out the back window. The Ody has more blind spots than our previous 92 Caravan due to the "thicker" walls (by the sliding door) and the headrests. I've removed the rear middle headrest to see more behind the van since we typically don't carry a full load of 7 folks.

As for installation, does it use the stock window mount or does it require removal of the stock mirror mount for a '01 Ody. I see that Donnelly has an Ody adapter button for the 2000 Ody (is the 2001 use the same mount adapter?).

If someone has the Gentex Night Vision Safety Mirror w/ compass and temp sensor mirror width that would be helpful too. But I like the design of the Donnelly ECT with the readings on the bottom of the mirror.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTEClover:
I've been thinking about installing this mirror since it has the outside temp sensor. I had this temp sensor feature on our previous 92 Dodge Caravan (which was integrated into the trip computer in the overhead console).

I was curious about this mirrors size (exact width at the largest part of the glass). Is it larger than the stock rear view mirror? Can you see any more than the stock mirror? I'd like a wider one than stock so I can see more than just out the back window. The Ody has more blind spots than our previous 92 Caravan due to the "thicker" walls (by the sliding door) and the headrests. I've removed the rear middle headrest to see more behind the van since we typically don't carry a full load of 7 folks.

As for installation, does it use the stock window mount or does it require removal of the stock mirror mount for a '01 Ody. I see that Donnelly has an Ody adapter button for the 2000 Ody (is the 2001 use the same mount adapter?).

If someone has the Gentex Night Vision Safety Mirror w/ compass and temp sensor mirror width that would be helpful too. But I like the design of the Donnelly ECT with the readings on the bottom of the mirror.
</font>
I feel your pain! I had the same problem with the original mirror. I think it's worse for tall drivers 'cuz we're further from the mirror, making the view smaller. One more little thing Honda screwed up on, but that's another story.

I'm a visibility nut and I think I bought three different mirrors before I got to where I could see what was going on behind me. I managed to get an add-on mirror that looked like crap, but at least I could see out of it. I also always have the small stick-on mirrors on the side mirrors so there's no blind spots for 360 degrees as long as I move my head around a little to adjust the "sight lines".

Okay, so now I decided the Donnelley ECT mirror would be a good idea. I wondered, like you, if I'd be able to see out of the damned thing. I called Donnelley and a couple of other people to get measurements, but nobody knew anything. Well, to make a long story even longer, my son had bought a new Xterra about that time and we installed an ECT mirror in it. That was the first time I was able to see one in the flesh. Nice.

I really liked the mirror, so I decided to give it a try. The stock Ody mirror is 8 15/16" at its widest point inside the frame and the Donnelley is 9 3/8". Not quite even a 1/2" gain, but I hoped it would be enough.

It was. Just barely. It's still not as wide as I'd like, but between having driven the van long enough to get used to the view back there and also slightly changing how I adjust my mirrors, it's something I can feel a little more comfortable with. I think after a while you just learn which way to move around to see around those huge blind spots.

To answer your other question, Donnelley's Japanese mount is exactly the same as Honda's. The actual mounting of the mirror takes a total of about 15 seconds.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

1 - 6 of 6 Posts