Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a Herrington Catalog product which is a compass/temp thingie that uses either a longlife lithium battery, or can be plugged into an AC/DC outlet? I'd really love the mirror from Mito but refuse to pay $249. plus $144.00 installation (quoted by my dealer on the install.) Are there any others I'm overlooking? The Brookstone $60.00 thing was a bad instrument: you had to punch it all the time, and it was hard to read.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you seen the Donnelly (sp?) mirror in the forums here? I also think that the Tech section has pictures.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx, yes, I did. The Donnelly product costs about the same as the Mito. Since I'd like to find a cheaper alternative, I surfed
around and came up with www.pnicorp.com/compass-products-and-digital-compasses. This is the Herrington Catalog product I mentioned above. And after checking the past posts on this topic, someone mentioned Donnelly's "clip-on" to your regular mirror. I'll call Donnelly tomorrow about that one as it doesn't seem to show up on their website. Surely, there are more?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Thanx, yes, I did. The Donnelly product costs about the same as the Mito. Since I'd like to find a cheaper alternative, I surfed
around and came up with www.pnicorp.com/compass-products-and-digital-compasses. This is the Herrington Catalog product I mentioned above. And after checking the past posts on this topic, someone mentioned Donnelly's "clip-on" to your regular mirror. I'll call Donnelly tomorrow about that one as it doesn't seem to show up on their website. Surely, there are more?
</font>
Unless they've introduced a new model, I think the "clip-on" referred to the Donnelly method of mounting to the windshield.

BTW, the Donnelly mirror runs about $200 and you should be able to get it installed for about $50 or $60. IIRC, the Mito runs about $250 for the mirror alone before installation.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CK, the Donnelly website says 229. plus shipping. Where can I get it for $200? and more importantly, how do I get it installed for $50. or $60.? My dealer wants $144. Is there also an aftermarket installer?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I bought mine at a local Honda dealer for $189 or $199 plus tax, can't remember which. Then any auto electrical accessory should be able to install it. I can't be sure what you'd have to pay for the install, but it oughta be a helluva lot less than $144. Try calling around to your local shops for install prices. It's not hard and isn't something you'd have to worry about anybody screwing up.

FYI, I installed mine myself and didn't spend over an hour and a half, so whichever shop you choose should only be charging 1 to 1 1/2 hours labor. I think I could install one in about 45 minutes now.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Merpsmom: I like the PNI V2000 with a hardwire installation. Thanks for the link. The compass display is esp nice; plus I like the general idea of keeping my NOS mirror.

I miss the temp freeze on my other Volvo V70!
Good luck with that new van!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use my NAVI as a compass; you can simply look down at the screen to determine your direction or if you have it set in 'always going up' mode, there's an indicator in the upper right corner that always points north so you can tell which direction you're heading.

For me, its not worth several hundred dollars just to get an outside temperature reading.

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, that was my point, sort of. The unit Merpsmon located is $79.95 with free shipping. So if you don't want or don't need the Navi (or both?), you are up, say, $1920.05. Not for everybody but one way to go...

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Has anyone tried a Herrington Catalog product which is a compass/temp thingie that uses either a longlife lithium battery, or can be plugged into an AC/DC outlet? I'd really love the mirror from Mito but refuse to pay $249. plus $144.00 installation (quoted by my dealer on the install.) Are there any others I'm overlooking? The Brookstone $60.00 thing was a bad instrument: you had to punch it all the time, and it was hard to read. </font>
I decided to install the Donnelly mirror for my first project on my new MB EX. It cost $229 from the factory, came overnight, was very well packaged and documented, and with the help of Chuck's awesome pictures/instructions went in without a hitch in about two hours. It looks fantastic and very "factory". I think it was a bargain compared to all the overpriced dealer installed options I had to buy to get my EX. $144 for someone to install it seems pretty steep, a dealer could probably do it in about 1/2 hour. I can't decide if fog lights or the leather steering wheel cover is next, but this was a great first mod to try since it was both easy and satisfying to accomplish.

Michael
'01 MB EX

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts