Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,950 Posts
All hybrid, available AWD on all trim levels and no stripper model. Minivans are getting positioned upscale, and I think Honda should be worried right now. I like the looks too and if I were in the market for a family hauler, the Sienna looks extremely attractive.

·
Registered
694 Posts
a 4 cylinder? I don't know about that. 53 less horsepower? The styling does look good though.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,950 Posts
a 4 cylinder? I don't know about that. 53 less horsepower? The styling does look good though.
I agree with you there - less power is almost never good. But the tow rating stays at 3500 pounds even on the hybrid. So maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's more here - remember auto mfr's get penalized over emissions and fuel economy (or lack thereof). This allows Toyota to continue to offer higher-power vehicles, like the recently updated (and uprated) 2021 Supra 3.0 (which, by my calculation, is more like 456HP at the crank and less like the 382 they claim).

·
Registered
21 Posts
And it gets a projected 33mpg combined?!?! While not quick, the same powertrain in the Highlander has a 8-8.5 second 0-60 time...only about a second slower than the V6 equipped models. With Honda having the CRV/Accord and (Acura) MDX/RLX hybrid powertrains, I’m sure they could pull off an odyssey hybrid variant.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All hybrid, available AWD on all trim levels and no stripper model. Minivans are getting positioned upscale, and I think Honda should be worried right now. I like the looks too and if I were in the market for a family hauler, the Sienna looks extremely attractive.
MY14 Touring Elite is still the kids (3) favorite when we go out as a family so may have to check the new Sienna. Plus when my parents come visit it is nice to have space for them so we all can go in 1 vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car and driver said the second row seats don’t come out due the the side airbags being located in the seats. Could be a deal breaker for people

·
Registered
12 Posts
Car and driver said the second row seats don’t come out due the the side airbags being located in the seats. Could be a deal breaker for people
I personally wouldn’t buy for that exact reason. One of the biggest advantages of a minivan if being able to have a big cargo hauler when needed...the 2018+ Odyssey is about borderline for me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
And it gets a projected 33mpg combined?!?! While not quick, the same powertrain in the Highlander has a 8-8.5 second 0-60 time...only about a second slower than the V6 equipped models. With Honda having the CRV/Accord and (Acura) MDX/RLX hybrid powertrains, I’m sure they could pull off an odyssey hybrid variant.
The V6 Sienna is 2 seconds faster than that. That's a huge difference. Load up a minivan (upto 8 passengers) and it needs all the horsepower you can get. Plus a 4 banger is so crude sounding and feeling compared to a smooth V6.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Disappointed in the 4 cylinder even with hybrid. Also I think the upper trims have to have captains chairs in the second row? As cool as it is with the reclining function I'd rather have three seats across.

I'll check it out when it's safe to go test drive cars for fun, but I'll probably hold tight for now since the van is getting little use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I almost bought a 2020 Ody but held off due to pandemic. I’m glad I did as the 2021 Toyota Sienna checks most of all the boxes for me and will be my next vehicle.

Negatives= low hp, no removable 2nd row.
Positives= Hybrid, 33mpg, AWD + Spare Tire, Higher Ground Clearance than Ody, 1500 Watt 120v Power Inverter to power camping equipment (very rare), Stick shifter (prefer), Maintains 3500 towing, 7 USB ports (have to step up to EXL Ody just to get 2 more in 2nd row).

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,950 Posts
I personally wouldn’t buy for that exact reason. One of the biggest advantages of a minivan if being able to have a big cargo hauler when needed...the 2018+ Odyssey is about borderline for me.

It seems like the market is saying something else. Ford sells more F-150s in six weeks than Honda sells Odysseys in a year. Chevrolet, GMC and Ram are similar. Even Toyota's pickups (Tundra and Tacoma) outsell the Sienna by about a 3 to 1 margin. People who have stuff to haul with any kind of regularity are clearly NOT buying minivans. They're buying trucks and it's not even close.

I can understand why car companies are emphasizing people hauling instead of cargo capacity in minivans. Pickups aren't all that good at hauling people but they're great at hauling stuff. Minivans are now going to be great at hauling people and not so great hauling stuff. SUVs are not great at hauling people or stuff but they sell like crazy so they'll get built. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how hard it would be for Toyota to use the plug-in hybrid drivetrain from the RAV4 Prime in the Sienna. 302 hp from a hybrid would be great. Maybe they're saving that for an upgrade later?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Minivans are replete with versatility. That’s their allure in the sea of other choices in the market place. It’s what makes them practical. The center row not being able to be removed will hurt its sales numbers as the competition steps up to Toyota’s new bar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned an 01, 05, 08, and still have my 14 Odyssey and can count on one hand the number of times I have removed the second row seats. I actually just did it this weekend to clean the one piece maxpider floor mats for the second and third row. The seats are a pia to remove and heavy and I would be fine if they stayed put for the added safety of full side airbag to protect the rear passengers. As was said versatility is certainly great to have but I am sure most people know someone who has or could rent a $20 a day pick up for the times you need to load the van up enough to have to remove the seats. The 4 cylinder is a tough one for me but I do like the aggressive style much better than the pedestrian ody, even with the 2021 update coming. It all depends on your intended use and preferences but it does look attractive and likely will grab some loyal Honda owners attention.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Pickups aren't all that good at hauling people but they're great at hauling stuff.
I don't think so. A minivan can hold a lot more stuff when you need "the stuff" covered. If I want to bring home a load of lumber or dirt, a pickup is a great option. Not having a removable center row is just insane. Lee Iacocca (I know, he worked for Dodge, the company that built nothing but crap that outsold everything in its day) proved we could have both features - a people and cargo carrier - with excellent traveling capacity. I don't see why Honda and Toyota can't get this idea through their thick skulls. It's probably the marketing team. They won't produce a good cargo carrying minivan because it would hurt their truck sales. I agree that without the removable center row seats, Toyota won't attract as many Honda deserters.

Furthermore, remember when the glitzy pics and articles came out about the 5th gen, 2018 Odys? It was all about the lipstick and mascara just like this ad for the new Sienna. Little did anyone know that the reliability, build, design, and quality issues would haunt Honda for years. Honda plummeted from the best to the worst minivan overnight. It will be interesting to see if Toyota scores a bullseye in these four areas.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not everyone is living in the cities where the access to myriads of conveniences are available. Versatility and practicality still rule the minivan market. As soon as you take that away from them.......it’s CUV and SUVs for everyone. I personally want practicality. I’m not in the mee tooo crowd.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
If this new sienna had a V6, it would have been game over for Honda.

I think when people hear about the i4 hybrid powertrain, they'll think twice.

If you give me the new sienna for free I won't take it. I can't stand i4 engines.
Also the reliability on it. Hybrid powertrain in a heavy minivan? Some doubts do come to mind...
At some point the electric motors will fail. It won't last forever like the engine.

Just my random opinion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts