Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very long and convoluted back story to this that I don’t want to get into. Suffice to say, this has turned my whole body into an ulcer. A mechanic did a complete transmission fluid change with non Honda genuine atf — I had hoped I would be able to tell by the color if they fixed it with the genuine fluid; however, it seems to be while looking on the internet that all atf looks the same. Is there any way I can tell if they fixed it with the right fluid? The car has been driven maybe 40 miles on the non Honda fluid — how bad is this? Will the small amount of fluid left of the non Honda fluid cause issues when I use genuine atf?
I never planned on using anything other than other than genuine Honda atf. Is my transmission permanently ruined?
Appreciate this forum— thanks for any constructive advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What is your year and mileage?

Find out what ATF they used. Pretty much every ATF manufacturer makes a fluid that is "compatible" with the Honda fluid (DW-1) and those can be mixed without any problem. Unless your mechanic is an idiot who put in something like a "Universal CVT" fluid, you are probably fine. You may not like how it shifts (shift feel varies by manufacturer), but a compatible fluid will not cause any damage.

Also, by "flush" I assume you meant 3 consecutive Drain & Fill procedures, cycling through the gears between each change, as specified by the Honda service procedures, and not a power-flush like a quick-lube place might recommend? (3x Drain & Fill is called a "flush" in Honda's service documentation.)

Side note: there are some alternative-colored ATFs, but most traditional fluids are red, including every one I've ever seen used in the Honda 6-speed.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,211 Posts
As the other poster said, just fine out what fluid was used. There is a good chance it is perfectly fine (the popular and easily available Valvoline MaxLife is a reasonable option). The next time you want an exact fluid used by a mechanic, you better bring it yourself.

Or, you read up on how easy a transmission drain and fill is on Odyssey trans is and DIY.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much, as mentioned by the good folks on this thread, they likely used a compatible fluid.

was it a drain and fill or a complete fluid transfer?
if its a drain and fill, that is only 1/3 of the original oil that was removed.

if it was a full fluid transfer and you cant find out what brand / type they used, and you want peace of mind.
Go to the dealer and buy a bunch of bottles of DW-1 or Walmart and get a few jugs of Maxlife, and do a few drain fills yourself to get most of that oil out of there.

The transmission will love you for it, and you wont suffer from body ulcers stressing over it.
(y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all
2017 ex-l with ~31k
They did it without telling me.
Sounds like they used decent stuff
I’ve had an odyssey before and have done my own changes
Dollars to donuts they did a power flush although not sure yet.
Was startled to get the call and be told that
I have a genuine Honda atf tattoo ;) jj
I have almost two full cases of genuine Honda atf and will probably just get it redone or do it myself.
Does the atf have an expiry? Or Max and min storage temps?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Storage temp: If a container of a fluid designed to operate at a range of -40 to + 240 or so told me it needed to be stored at room temp between 60 and 85, I would either not take the recommendation seriously, or not use such a fragile product for the tough service it's sold for. But that's me. Reminds me of the Permatex brake lube that claims performance up to 500 degrees, but specs storage between 60 and 80. So, I use 3M.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 225,000 2010 Touring 88,000
54 Posts
Thanks all
2017 ex-l with ~31k
I have almost two full cases of genuine Honda atf and will probably just get it redone or do it myself.
No, it's shelf life is forever, and temps don't affect it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks all
2017 ex-l with ~31k
Whatever you do DON’T use the honda atf type used prior to the current DW-1 atf.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks all
2017 ex-l with ~31k
I'm curious...did you pay for the unrequested and unwanted "service"? Sounds to me like bulls servicing heifers.

Reactions: smilingody

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious...did you pay for the unrequested and unwanted "service"? Sounds to me like bulls servicing heifers.
I did not.
The service was “covered” under a dealer warranty (non-honda dealer) and was the alleged solution to the “fcw system failed” warning on the dash I was getting. I’m a little more ok with the actual fluid part after all the helpful responses here; however, concerned about the power flush long term effect on the transmission. I cannot stress how anathema i am to the events that happened.
Interesting saying, I wasn’t able to find an exact translation— what does it mean?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
Interesting saying, I wasn’t able to find an exact translation— what does it mean?
Same as this piece of gold from "The Big Bang Theory":

Leonard: What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?
Sheldon: Screwed?
Leonard: There you go.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
So i have to change the fluid, run it through all the gears, then change it 3 more times?
In general yes. But it's important to know whether you are doing this as maintenance or a repair.

If you're doing some basic preventive maintenance and you're doing the work yourself, the best way to maximize the bang for your buck is to leave the fresh load of ATF in the transmission for a decent spell (like at least a few hundred miles worth of varied driving, however long that takes you - in my case, I can get that done in about a week or two). Then do another drain-and-fill and repeat the process.

The downside to this is obviously time - it'll take you a month to do three drain-and-fills. But the upside is that your transmission internals get much cleaner because you're giving the new fluid a chance to do some work for you. You aren't dumping brand new ATF into the recycling barrel immediately after you put it in.

This advice doesn't apply is if you are in a repair situation and the need to replace all the ATF is urgent, like if the wrong fluid was put in or if the old fluid has been truly neglected for too long (it's black or burnt and the transmission is not shifting properly). Or if your SO won't be understanding about why you're under the van again mere weeks after the last time you were under the van. ;) Then doing everything in a single day is the best way to go.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Google: bull service heifer
Read the first result.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
Holy cow!!!! Does Honda own stock in ATF? Should I change the filter before or after all of this
I think I read somewhere that your Ody is a 2015, so it's just like mine. It has an ATF filter but there is no specified service interval for it. Relatively few people ever change it - I never have.

You'd be fine to just take care of the ATF itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I read somewhere that your Ody is a 2015, so it's just like mine. It has an ATF filter but there is no specified service interval for it. Relatively few people ever change it - I never have.

You'd be fine to just take care of the ATF itself.
Cromath................you are correct. It's a 15. I've posted a lot lately. I've already bought the filter, so I will go ahead and change it, but I'll wait until after I do the 3 flushes. I'll assume the flushes can just be typical atf as I've seen in this thread? I've got honda atf.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
Cromath................you are correct. It's a 15. I've posted a lot lately. I've already bought the filter, so I will go ahead and change it, but I'll wait until after I do the 3 flushes. I'll assume the flushes can just be typical atf as I've seen in this thread? I've got honda atf.

Thanks!
Yup - if you've already got the filter, you may as well do it. Sounds to me like you're ready to go - filter or not, the D&F procedure is always the same.

Reactions: tj4ndirish
1 - 20 of 27 Posts